Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear door weatherstrip / inner seal

Views : 621

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2021, 23:05   #1
Drumeo

Default Rear door weatherstrip / inner seal

Hi everyone

Finally took plunge and bought a 1999 V70 wagon. My first Volvo! Love it!

Anyway, there's a few things I've noticed after having it for a couple of weeks now. I noticed some water ingress in the top of the rear offside door. It looks like some of the outer weatherstrip attached to the door is not tight against the bodywork when closed, therefore letting water pass through. Then the seal on the bodywork is letting this water through it seems.

So basically what I'm asking is, where could I source new seals? Scoured eBay and Google but can't really find anything. Direct from Volvo? Not sure where to go next.

Any suggestions welcome,

Oh and the dreaded ETS light has come on, seems to be running fine though. Going to take it to Swedish Car Clinic to get any codes read. Pretty sure it has untouched ETM.

Thanks

Sam
Drumeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2021, 12:59   #2
volvo again
Master Member

Found this for you...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274596796...Condition=3000

Thing is, unless your seal is split there's probably no point in changing it for a used one, I had a similsr problem so took the seal off the car gave it a really good wash, making sure i got into all the grooves...seems fine now
Check the rubber on top of the door, if fitted
Old May 14th, 2021, 13:19   #3
Drumeo

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I thought that might be the case. The seal seems in good nick. I read somewhere about rubbing some vaseline on seals to revive them too, any truth in that?Apparently micro-chunks can get pulled off when the door is opened due to it sticking to the paintwork when dry?

Cheers for the suggestions. I'll give a clean at least
Drumeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2021, 14:33   #4
volvo again
Master Member

I use Autogyln Vinyl & Rubber Care on mine, seems to be keeping then clean and soft.
Also, just a thought if water is getting in, it may be worth checking the door closes tight and adjust the striker plate if not

Last edited by volvo again; May 14th, 2021 at 15:15.
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2021, 18:26   #5
turboboy
Master Member

Default Weatherstrip leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumeo View Post
Thanks for the link. Yeah, I thought that might be the case. The seal seems in good nick. I read somewhere about rubbing some vaseline on seals to revive them too, any truth in that?Apparently micro-chunks can get pulled off when the door is opened due to it sticking to the paintwork when dry?

Cheers for the suggestions. I'll give a clean at least
Someone on here recently, I think, suggested using GT85 aerosol lubricant (which contains PTFE) to revive door and sunroof seals.

It is surprising how much water a very small nick in a seal can allow in. I had a BMW 3-Series convertible that constantly dripped rain on my right leg and made the seat wet if the car was not covered overnight. Eventually found the source to be a tiny cut on the hood seal where it contacted the top of the driver's window. The seal had a very small nick and the edge of the cut was being folded back when the roof was raised, but was not obvious with just a visual inspection. Solved it by supergluing the small tag of rubber back in place.

Also, be aware that water can "wick" from where it enters from the outside to where it makes itself known inside. I have seen water defy gravity and travel upwards from a hole on the outside of a body to where it dripped inside.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, rear, seal, weather strips