Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel system question re: vapor lock

Views : 2666

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2012, 05:13   #11
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

I can get you some pics too, if Tom forgets; I took the back apart today too, by coincidence. Strange if you have an estate which DOESN'T have one.

I guess if you have the filler from another, that's pretty-good. Er... isn't that all part of the gas-tank??

Good-call on the no-vent on an estate, Paul - my locking cap seems okay, but it would be vented, no? I won't use it if it is.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 07:00   #12
nonhog

Default Vent news

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122 Canuck View Post
Strange if you have an estate which DOESN'T have one.

I guess if you have the filler from another, that's pretty-good. Er... isn't that all part of the gas-tank??
MY BAD! It has a vent tube and a hose but here the odd thing it was capped.
Wonder why? Is that normal? Looks like undercoating on the cap as if it was there when the car was undercoated. Which I dont know but would assume was done when new.
I pulled the cap off and checked the hose to be sure it was o.k.
Hope it clears up the restart issues it was having.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010093.jpg (147.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1010094.jpg (324.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg P1010096.jpg (107.6 KB, 9 views)
(http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332836)
nonhog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nonhog For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 14:58   #13
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

The cap probably never got taken of after undercoating. If you can find one it would be a VERY good idea to try and find the tank neck to body seal. Item number 15 on the attached picture. Part number is #661727.
Pic shows the vent pipe and the way it routes to the vent shown in pic #1(the capped one). #7 is a grommet.

Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 19:03   #14
nonhog

[QUOTE=Derek UK;1108373]The cap probably never got taken of after undercoating. If you can find one it would be a VERY good idea to try and find the tank neck to body seal. Item number 15 on the attached picture. Part number is #661727.
Pic shows the vent pipe and the way it routes to the vent shown in pic #1(the capped one). #7 is a grommet.
QUOTE]

Make me wonder how the previous owner got along with it plugged?
It had been switched to a B20 and Weber 32/36 somewhere during his 25 year ownership. I best only worry about here and now.

I thought that seal # 661727 was a puddy of sorts the way it came apart when POR 15 sealing the tank.

Good info!
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 23:40   #15
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

I checked, and my chrome cap is not vented. I think I was thinking of the 6 or 8-sided ones often seen on Amazons, mine is round.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 09:14   #16
MGarzino

First, I want to thank everyone for all their posts - this thread has been a life saver! I too have a similar problem - I just took possession of a '67 Amazon Wagon 6 months ago and it has never run right. It's modified, Weber 38 dgas, and was hard to keep running. Once hot and turned off, very sluggish once started up again. Today, I finally got a complete tank of gas in the car and two blocks from the gas station the car cuts out entirely - no way to get it started again. Waited and it started, but didn't run for long. I thought the gas line was maybe sitting on the block and valve cover and maybe causing vapor lock. This was what drew my attention to the forward gas filter - it was bubbling air, lots of air actually. I hadn't remembered what that meant at the time and only when I read this thread did it click. I went down and took the gas cap off (it didn't noticeably break seal) but when I tried starting the car it started right up and without using the gas peddle - got car hot again and after doing this for 1/2 hour w/cap off everything was fine. Also, zero air bubbles seen in the gas filter.

I'm yet to locate the breather hose off the gas fill intake pipe, but I have every confidence when I do I'll find it clogged. In the meantime, I'm putting an older gas cap on it (I can make non air tight by taking one of the seals off) - kind of a stop gap till I can confirm and fix the clogged breather line.

I too am dumbfounded - the prior owner had this car for years and years - how in the... I too won't go there till I know this is fixed.

Anyway, thanks for the great help. Sheesh, air bubbles in the filter.. how great is that
Maria

Last edited by MGarzino; Jun 14th, 2013 at 09:28.
MGarzino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MGarzino For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2021, 23:46   #17
122in805

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonhog View Post
MY BAD! It has a vent tube and a hose but here the odd thing it was capped.
Wonder why? Is that normal? Looks like undercoating on the cap as if it was there when the car was undercoated. Which I dont know but would assume was done when new.
I pulled the cap off and checked the hose to be sure it was o.k.
Hope it clears up the restart issues it was having.
Having trouble viewing these images.. any chance they can get reposted. Seeing the routing for this breather would make my day!!
122in805 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 122in805 For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 13:12   #18
Derek UK
VOC Member

The one I put up on post #13 shows fine for me, even with the Photobucket shadow behind it. I no longer have a Photobucket account but if you are desperate I will dive into the parts book file and re post it.
If you take off the inside rear trim panel on the filler side you should be able to see how the tubes are routed.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2021, 03:00   #19
nonhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122in805 View Post
Having trouble viewing these images.. any chance they can get reposted. Seeing the routing for this breather would make my day!!
I'm not sure what the photo was? Been so long. I gave the car to my son. He sold it last year to a guy on the East Coast. Miss that car! I've changed laptops a couple times since I posted here. I'm guessing it was just a photo of the filler which is seen in the diagram. I'll post the last photo I have before it left.
(both cars gone, just a pic for kicks)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 242122.jpg (148.6 KB, 6 views)