Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 593987

Replies : 2690

Users Viewing This Thread : Chrisv60, Stroudy

Old Feb 6th, 2021, 10:38   #2461
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70Gavin View Post
Zebster,

Thank you for your quick response to my plea for help.

My car had the EGR valve replaced (50% goodwill) but no work to the cooler. So I guess have the EGR valve at the front of my mind when trying to work out how to solve my friend's problem.

The fact that her car was diagnosed as needing a new manifold and that they had to clean out much soot, suggests to me that the EGR valve was (and still is) sticking open. And so I fear that this manifold will go the same way unless we tackle (what I think is) the source of the problem.

Her car remains in "Reduced Performance" mode despite having a new manifold fitted.

Good point about the fire risk recall, I was reading the thread (esp your posts)on it last night. I will check the status of her car with Volvo today.

Do those error codes (DTCs) ring any bells with you? Could they help identify the cause of the "reduced performance"?

Many thanks,

Gavin
Do you know why no EGR valve cooler work was done? Was it clear or blocked?

I would have thought that the EGR cooler would have either been cleaned or replaced when the EGR valve was replaced as it normally becomes blocked over time. Not to do so defeats the purpose of replacing the EGR valve. If the EGR cooler isn’t functioning properly then further trouble will surely follow as it’s there for a purpose that it can only fulfil if it’s working properly.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 19:40   #2462
V70Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
Do you know why no EGR valve cooler work was done? Was it clear or blocked?

I would have thought that the EGR cooler would have either been cleaned or replaced when the EGR valve was replaced as it normally becomes blocked over time. Not to do so defeats the purpose of replacing the EGR valve. If the EGR cooler isn’t functioning properly then further trouble will surely follow as it’s there for a purpose that it can only fulfil if it’s working properly.
Sotosound,

Sadly I don't other than the Volvo chap stated "the EGR has been changed already" which I think means the cooler hasn't...but not definitive.

I did some more investigating on Sunday evening. The EGR is moving freely with no obvious stickiness or stiffness. I cleared the codes and went for a drive. The EGR seemed to be working as I would expect; closed at idle, close on acceleration, open around 40-50% when cruising at steady speeds with rpm 1500-2500 (ish). No EGR error except at idle when the EGR position was at 2% and so error was 99% (comparing demand of 0% to actual of 2%).

Then when the "Reduced Performance" tortoise came up (after about 5-6 mins driving) the EGR remained closed. Cleared codes again and EGR working as before.

At the end of a 30 min drive the only code up was MAF air flow range/performance.

So I think this now says cooler to me (when I was sure it was the EGR!!) but don't want to press my friend to take the car in to Volvo and expose her to their wish to diagnose at £150/hr...... But maybe there is no option other than to risk that.

At least if it is the cooler then she should get 100% goodwill.

Hmmm.

Gavin
The Following User Says Thank You to V70Gavin For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 20:10   #2463
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Sotosound,

Sadly I don't other than the Volvo chap stated "the EGR has been changed already" which I think means the cooler hasn't...but not definitive.

I did some more investigating on Sunday evening. The EGR is moving freely with no obvious stickiness or stiffness. I cleared the codes and went for a drive. The EGR seemed to be working as I would expect; closed at idle, close on acceleration, open around 40-50% when cruising at steady speeds with rpm 1500-2500 (ish). No EGR error except at idle when the EGR position was at 2% and so error was 99% (comparing demand of 0% to actual of 2%).

Then when the "Reduced Performance" tortoise came up (after about 5-6 mins driving) the EGR remained closed. Cleared codes again and EGR working as before.

At the end of a 30 min drive the only code up was MAF air flow range/performance.

So I think this now says cooler to me (when I was sure it was the EGR!!) but don't want to press my friend to take the car in to Volvo and expose her to their wish to diagnose at £150/hr...... But maybe there is no option other than to risk that.

At least if it is the cooler then she should get 100% goodwill.

Hmmm.

Gavin
A blocked EGR cooler will give a Volvo P04d900 diagnostic trouble code (OBD2 P04d9), which is the trigger for replacement under goodwill. I don't believe you've mentioned this code being detected?
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 20:37   #2464
V70Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
A blocked EGR cooler will give a Volvo P04d900 diagnostic trouble code (OBD2 P04d9), which is the trigger for replacement under goodwill. I don't believe you've mentioned this code being detected?
Zebster,

Thanks for the continued input. You are right I haven't seen that code, only:

P00BC - MAF circuit range/performance
P2009 - Intake manifold air control actuator bank1 - circuit low
P0471- Exhaust gas pressure sensor - range/performance problem

And as of Sunday evening only the MAF reading.

Of note the my friend said she had to top up with oil a week or so ago.

The MAF sensor and oil loss seem to match the EGR/cooler posts on here. But if it isn't the EGR or cooler (and thanks for the heads up about the need for the P04d9 code) then why is the Reduced Performance tortoise coming up?

I guess I am reaching for the obvious answers and trying to make the symptoms fit....but equally I am not sure what else it could be.

- The car is a 15 plate XC60 with 98k on the clock.

- Starts fine, runs smoothly, very slight hesitation on pulling away (but could be imagining it), slight overrun/shudder on shut down (but only a touch worse than my XC70 D4).

- EGR feed pipe into inlet was cold at idle, got hot after I revved up for a little bit, then cooled relatively quickly once I returned the car to idle.

- Whole sequence started in early December when Reduced Performance came up and the codes:

P00BC - MAF sensor A- circuit range/performance
P2009(00) - Intake manifold air control actuator bank 1 - circuit low.

- Unbeknown to me she took it to Volvo who diagnosed the inlet manifold but she then took the car to a local garage to do the work. (I checked the manifold bolts which were not tight but guess they are tightened to a certain torque to avoid damaging the plastic molding).

- Manifold replaced but still getting Reduced Performance and P00BC error....

Bit stuck now. Anything I can do to help narrow it down? Isolate the EGR? Take off a vacuum hose?......?

Thanks,

Gavin
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 08:40   #2465
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Zebster,

Thanks for the continued input. You are right I haven't seen that code, only:

P00BC - MAF circuit range/performance
P2009 - Intake manifold air control actuator bank1 - circuit low
P0471- Exhaust gas pressure sensor - range/performance problem

And as of Sunday evening only the MAF reading.

Of note the my friend said she had to top up with oil a week or so ago.

The MAF sensor and oil loss seem to match the EGR/cooler posts on here. But if it isn't the EGR or cooler (and thanks for the heads up about the need for the P04d9 code) then why is the Reduced Performance tortoise coming up?

I guess I am reaching for the obvious answers and trying to make the symptoms fit....but equally I am not sure what else it could be.

- The car is a 15 plate XC60 with 98k on the clock.

- Starts fine, runs smoothly, very slight hesitation on pulling away (but could be imagining it), slight overrun/shudder on shut down (but only a touch worse than my XC70 D4).

- EGR feed pipe into inlet was cold at idle, got hot after I revved up for a little bit, then cooled relatively quickly once I returned the car to idle.

- Whole sequence started in early December when Reduced Performance came up and the codes:

P00BC - MAF sensor A- circuit range/performance
P2009(00) - Intake manifold air control actuator bank 1 - circuit low.

- Unbeknown to me she took it to Volvo who diagnosed the inlet manifold but she then took the car to a local garage to do the work. (I checked the manifold bolts which were not tight but guess they are tightened to a certain torque to avoid damaging the plastic molding).

- Manifold replaced but still getting Reduced Performance and P00BC error....

Bit stuck now. Anything I can do to help narrow it down? Isolate the EGR? Take off a vacuum hose?......?

Thanks,

Gavin
The reduced performance/tortoise warning lamp is not just for EGR issues. However I reckon that the low MAF may be indicating that the EGR valve is failing to properly close. Or maybe the MAF sensor is simply dirty or failing? Or there's a leak on the intake side?

Isolating (blocking) the EGR flow with, say, a cut-up drinks can would prove that the valve is failing to close, although would then of course replicate a blocked cooler and give the P04d9 error code. A useful diagnostic though.
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 12:36   #2466
V70Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
The reduced performance/tortoise warning lamp is not just for EGR issues. However I reckon that the low MAF may be indicating that the EGR valve is failing to properly close. Or maybe the MAF sensor is simply dirty or failing? Or there's a leak on the intake side?

Isolating (blocking) the EGR flow with, say, a cut-up drinks can would prove that the valve is failing to close, although would then of course replicate a blocked cooler and give the P04d9 error code. A useful diagnostic though.
Zebster,

Thank you. Will do some investigating this weekend to see if I can narrow it down some more.

Gavin
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 15:42   #2467
nkclair

Hi all, sorry if this more likely has been asked. took me a long time to read all this, I've had an engine warning come up few around 4 weeks now, I had the car checked at the time and said it was the EGV Valve. The car is not in limp mode and been driving fine. I took it for a good run down the motorway for an hour. still drives fine. Engine warning still on. I had the warning message cleared. gave it another good run. At the moment drives fine. Engine light is back on after a week but drives fine. Or will it just go into limp mode one day.
Volvo S60 D4 2015, 29000 miles. when I brought it off Volvo 2019, there reckon all recalls were sorted. I don't fancy giving to the dealers and pay £150 to check it.
just wondering how some of you guys got it done free by Volvo
Thank you
nkclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 16:19   #2468
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkclair View Post
Hi all, sorry if this more likely has been asked. took me a long time to read all this, I've had an engine warning come up few around 4 weeks now, I had the car checked at the time and said it was the EGV Valve. The car is not in limp mode and been driving fine. I took it for a good run down the motorway for an hour. still drives fine. Engine warning still on. I had the warning message cleared. gave it another good run. At the moment drives fine. Engine light is back on after a week but drives fine. Or will it just go into limp mode one day.
Volvo S60 D4 2015, 29000 miles. when I brought it off Volvo 2019, there reckon all recalls were sorted. I don't fancy giving to the dealers and pay £150 to check it.
just wondering how some of you guys got it done free by Volvo
Thank you
It's never been a recall issue.

It would help if you could tell us the code. Might not be EGR-related? There isn't a specific code for the EGR valve, however there is a code for low EGR flow which obviously could be the valve sticking shut but is far more likely to be a blocked EGR cooler. The EGR valve can sometimes stick open (mine did) but this makes the car practically undriveable.

I got my cooler replaced for free because I bit the bullet and took it to the dealer in Shrewsbury knowing that I might have to pay for the diagnostic check if the decision went against me. But they're nice people who previously serviced my car and so really bent over backwards to help me in dealing with Volvo UK to get a goodwill contribution (I have otherwise found Volvo UK terrible to deal with). However I understand that it helped that my car had FVSH, was less than 5 years old and had done less than 100k miles.
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 11:08   #2469
nkclair

ok thanx for that, that's interesting to know.

i was told by mechanic who's also my related to me, open the black cap under the EGR value and check the if the EGR value is flap is stuck, but it's free and open and closes, you can put your finger in. the black cap wasn't dirty, as my mechanic usually that's a sign if it's really dirty.

Thanx
nkclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2021, 16:26   #2470
Debsvee

Hello,

I have been reading through such of this thread recently as I have had the check light on my XC60 64 plate. I bought it 2 weeks ago privately from a man who needs his moral compass calibrating. He had clearly turned the check light off and deleted the fault code twice during my viewing and a mechanic checking the car for me.

I bit the bullet and took it to Volvo for £99 diagnostics. The erg cooler is clogged and the inlet manifold is jammed. Volvo confirmed this morning they are covering 100% of the fix. I am surprised and delighted. Just thought I would mention it as I have no history with volvo as a customer and the car was dealer serviced only until 2017. If you are in a similar position, it is worth the diagnostic gamble. They are putting in the cooler with the wider grate and updating combustion software. The fix would have been over £1300.

I havent been a Volvo customer before, but if this is how they stand by their cars then I plan to from now on.

All the best
Debsvee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debsvee For This Useful Post: