Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heated windshield washer nozzles

Views : 3982

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2021, 08:52   #1
Chudy85
Volvo family member

Default Heated windshield washer nozzles

Hello,

Probably sounds silly but could someone give me more light on that?

Volvo web is saying: The washer nozzles are heated automatically in cold weather to prevent the washer fluid from freezing.

I get that but what if my windscreen is completely frosted? Will it help with defrost? Cold weather what they mean by that. UK 0 centigrade?
Chudy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2021, 09:14   #2
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudy85 View Post
Volvo web is saying: The washer nozzles are heated automatically in cold weather to prevent the washer fluid from freezing.

I get that but what if my windscreen is completely frosted? Will it help with defrost?
No it won't, you need the optional electrically heated windscreen for fast defrost.

Quote:
Cold weather what they mean by that. UK 0 centigrade?
Don't know for certain but my guess is that it'll be the same temperature that the rear screen and mirror heaters come on at, namely 7 degrees Celsius.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2021, 09:15   #3
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Not usually.

You really should defrost the screen before attempting to use the wiper blades otherwise the blades might still be frozen to the glass and might damage them.

The heated washer jets are only there in an attempt to prevent the washer fluid from freezing inside the nozzle and leaving you unable to use them until they're thawed out.

Think of it this way. Before you leave on your trip, you defrost your windscreen (not using the wipers). Then, while you're on your trip, your screen is smeared with crud from the gritted road kicked up by the cars ahead and you need to clear your screen. This is where the heated washer jets come in.

This has invariably failed on most cars I've owned that have boasted heated washer jets - in cold weather I'm invariably dry-smearing crud on my windscreen.

But no, they're not intended as a way of defrosting your screen before you leave.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Polestar Pete For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2021, 09:19   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

It is not for defrosting your windscreen, during winter with lots of salt and grime on the roads you need to use your washers more to maintain good vision, the heated nozzles stop the washer water freezing in the nozzles allowing you to clean your screen.

Heated screens and defrost boost on climate control system and remote start to preheat and defrost are your tools to clear your screen.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2021, 10:46   #5
Chudy85
Volvo family member

This to you guys!! now i have clear view about this feature. I do not have heated windscreen as I prefer HUD.

I am curious why heated windscreen and HUD cant go together?
Chudy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2021, 11:52   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudy85 View Post
This to you guys!! now i have clear view about this feature. I do not have heated windscreen as I prefer HUD.

I am curious why heated windscreen and HUD cant go together?
Heated jets make no real difference except perhaps dealing with slush on the windscreen ... You should be using volvo wash fluid mixed to a -20C freezing point that is the key to a sparkling screen in all conditions .. even without a heated screen you still get warm air from the vents a minute or so after starting the engine ...

Regarding the heated screen and HUD... the fine wires in the screen affect the reflections ...
Old May 11th, 2021, 12:18   #7
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post

Regarding the heated screen and HUD... the fine wires in the screen affect the reflections ...
I believe there's a coating or film on the inside of the windscreen that aids the reflection (so you don't get ghosting effects of both surfaces of the glass). It's this reflection aid that doesn't like heated glass.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Polestar Pete For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2021, 21:18   #8
Bullydog

Laminated glass worker here with a quick guide. The heated screen has a conductive paint printed on the surface of the glass which is then tempered to harden there is then an interlayer placed on the glass a second tempered glass is placed onto this the two are then autoclaved under vacuum resulting in a glass sandwich I believe the printing is on the inner pane but not 100%. The Hud glass is made the same way but with a different interlayer that enables an image to be seen. If you had the zig zags of conductive paint present there would be a resulting distortion in the hud.

I think that's how it works from the glass I have seen. I don't think the glass itself is coated because of damage over the years through people cleaning etc.
Bullydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bullydog For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2021, 16:41   #9
cassell
Member since 1988

Heated washer jets are useless if you don't have the correct strength washer fluid in the system, yes the jets may heat up but the water in the pipes leading to them freezes anyway if it is below strength.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2021, 23:22   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
Heated washer jets are useless if you don't have the correct strength washer fluid in the system, yes the jets may heat up but the water in the pipes leading to them freezes anyway if it is below strength.
of course , its so that the slightly warm water from the jets melt the ice off the windscreen, in theory , not sure its that good in practice !