Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Selected gear mode keeps jumping to Park automatically!

Views : 3796

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2023, 16:38   #21
dbsanfte

It's not just you, OP. My car does this too if I change drive modes too quickly after starting it up.

I made a Youtube video demonstrating it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFui4rsFnAo&t=1s

It's a software issue for sure. If I wait a bit longer after starting it, it doesn't do it.

2020 XC60 T8 PHEV.
dbsanfte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 16:53   #22
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsanfte View Post
It's not just you, OP. My car does this too if I change drive modes too quickly after starting it up.

I made a Youtube video demonstrating it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFui4rsFnAo&t=1s

It's a software issue for sure. If I wait a bit longer after starting it, it doesn't do it.

2020 XC60 T8 PHEV.
Hi dbsanfte,

That's exactly what mine does!

It's not just related to Pure mode either as mine does it in Hybrid.

I shall be sending that link to the dealer as a direct example of the issue, so many thanks dbsanfte 👍🏻⭐

I'll keep you updated as to what they say/do given it already as all the latest software updates.

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 20:20   #23
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
Even more issues (the car is booked in for January 2nd 2024 so the Preconditioning error is still present).

1. Driving along country roads and all of a sudden got a 'Headlamp System Malfunction - Service required' error message. 10 minutes of driving later, it just disappeared. Ridiculous.

2. Windscreen wipers. Got them on auto and max. The windscreen can be completely covered (and I mean like it's being sprayed by a fireman's hose) and it won't wipe, then all of a sudden it will react but still slowly, then after a few wipes it goes mental then calms down. I thought the wife was overreacting, but having experienced it first hand, she really wasn't and it's very dangerous.

3. The seat memory keeps moving to the key settings even when I press the memory button. If the seat is moving to the key profile (same as M1) as I open the door, press M2 (my settings), 50% of the time the seat will start to move to the key profile settings again. Press M2 again and the seat 80% of the time will then move to my profile, but 20% it will again go to the key and only a third press of M2 makes it move to my settings.

Also an update on the seats/mirrors issue as this is now affecting the key profile and not just mine:

4. Unlock the car, seats move to the key profile (M1) but the mirrors don't. Change profile to M2 (mine) and seats/mirrors move. Then go back to key/M1 profile and the seats and mirrors move. Again, this is 50% of the time and now on all profiles.
And now another fault!

The car has stopped using battery for random trips. 19-20 mile range from a full charge, usually my wife goes to work and back, 8-9 miles left on battery. Twice now she's gone home and the battery is still sat at 100% and the app confirms so.

No error messages or warnings, absolutely jack all.

I'm honestly lost for words.

Old Jan 5th, 2024, 11:05   #24
Yelper85

So the car has been in at the dealers, however even more faults occurred before it went in:

1. Boot kick gesture stopped working (could well be related to keyless entry not working properly)

2. Sensus had a complete meltdown as I tried to change profiles. Became completely unresponsive and wouldn't bring up 360 camera after it finally came back online.

3. Auto heated seats and steering wheel coming on when they shouldn't

4. Off-Road mode not fully raising car via air suspension but then does as you're driving down the road, and for some reason it's started showing the air suspension moving when in Hybrid mode as well.

5. Pilot assist keeps disengaging without any audible warning or cluster warning, so it's fully green going down the motorway with perfect vision and lines, then just lets go.

6. The juddering/imbalance when setting off is getting more noticeable, especially uphill. It's like the flywheel is temporarily out of balance but clearly it's not that, it's just feels like a rotating mass is out of balance.

Here's what they found:

The preconditioning fault was because the system had locked the fuel fired heater out (it's not high-voltage electric heater on the Hybrid apparently, or at least the T8). Now the dealer said this was very strange but this could be because of low fuel, however I said that surely a system lockout is due to a critical fault or an anomaly has been detected, not because the fuel supply is low as all the system would need to do is turn off pre-conditioning and alert the driver/owner, not fully lock the system out because the only way it can be unlocked is via VIDA at the dealers!

They have unlocked the system and tested it, and it's working, so I'll test it today, however the fuel is due to go low-level state today/tomorrow and I'm going to let it go low to then see what happens. I'll let you know.

As for the other faults (and they said there were a ridiculous amount), they have done a full system upgrade which apparently took 3.5 hours to complete and only flagged as being required the day I took it in. Call me a cynic, but the car has been in probably 8-9 times to them and the day I take it in with all these faults is the day the car says 'oh yes, I need a full software upgrade' . . .

Maybe they are telling the truth as they said every time the car comes in it's checked for updates, or maybe the updates were showing but never applied, I mean I'm taking their word they actually did a fully system update taking 3.5 hours, who knows!

They said the update cleared all the faults, but in my mind the update would have self-reset the faults anyway, but I've agreed to stress-test it and see what faults (if any) return.

I'll keep you posted!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yelper85 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 01:10   #25
JeremyC

I had that exact same problem twice now. Fortunately at home in both instances. 2018 XC40 T4
It goes away after locking the car and leaving it for a a while, but who knows what else may happen whilst on the move.
Booked in at the dealer at first available slot - being only the middle of February
JeremyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 16:47   #26
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyC View Post
I had that exact same problem twice now. Fortunately at home in both instances. 2018 XC40 T4
It goes away after locking the car and leaving it for a a while, but who knows what else may happen whilst on the move.
Booked in at the dealer at first available slot - being only the middle of February
Which fault(s) are you experiencing @JeremyC?

I'm assuming you're referring to the car jumping into Park as per the title but given the amount of issues I've had/got I thought it worth clarifying

That's interesting if the issue of the jumping into park is affecting different models and not just XC60 PHEVs.

Old Jan 7th, 2024, 20:46   #27
Yelper85

Quote:
So the car has been in at the dealers, however even more faults occurred before it went in:

1. Boot kick gesture stopped working (could well be related to keyless entry not working properly)

2. Sensus had a complete meltdown as I tried to change profiles. Became completely unresponsive and wouldn't bring up 360 camera after it finally came back online.

3. Auto heated seats and steering wheel coming on when they shouldn't

4. Off-Road mode not fully raising car via air suspension but then does as you're driving down the road, and for some reason it's started showing the air suspension moving when in Hybrid mode as well.

5. Pilot assist keeps disengaging without any audible warning or cluster warning, so it's fully green going down the motorway with perfect vision and lines, then just lets go.

6. The juddering/imbalance when setting off is getting more noticeable, especially uphill. It's like the flywheel is temporarily out of balance but clearly it's not that, it's just feels like a rotating mass is out of balance.

Here's what they found:

The preconditioning fault was because the system had locked the fuel fired heater out (it's not high-voltage electric heater on the Hybrid apparently, or at least the T8). Now the dealer said this was very strange but this could be because of low fuel, however I said that surely a system lockout is due to a critical fault or an anomaly has been detected, not because the fuel supply is low as all the system would need to do is turn off pre-conditioning and alert the driver/owner, not fully lock the system out because the only way it can be unlocked is via VIDA at the dealers!

They have unlocked the system and tested it, and it's working, so I'll test it today, however the fuel is due to go low-level state today/tomorrow and I'm going to let it go low to then see what happens. I'll let you know.

As for the other faults (and they said there were a ridiculous amount), they have done a full system upgrade which apparently took 3.5 hours to complete and only flagged as being required the day I took it in. Call me a cynic, but the car has been in probably 8-9 times to them and the day I take it in with all these faults is the day the car says 'oh yes, I need a full software upgrade' . . .

Maybe they are telling the truth as they said every time the car comes in it's checked for updates, or maybe the updates were showing but never applied, I mean I'm taking their word they actually did a fully system update taking 3.5 hours, who knows!

They said the update cleared all the faults, but in my mind the update would have self-reset the faults anyway, but I've agreed to stress-test it and see what faults (if any) return.

I'll keep you posted!
Forgot to mention, both rear boot struts had failed. So the left one I said was sounding terrible like it was grinding gears internally and dragging, but it turns out the right one was also in bad shape which explains why sometimes it would attempt to open then bleep in alarm! Got to take it back in next week to have new struts fitted as they're coming from Sweden apparently.

And another fault as well which I haven't mentioned:

I've noticed that when I get in the volume is always down to zero and muted even if the car was left with the volume up and media playing. Tried saving profiles with the settings correct, but makes no difference. Was working fine one day and not the next. I shall be making them aware of this when it goes in next week for the strut replacements!

Old Jan 8th, 2024, 08:13   #28
Yelper85

Tried pre-conditioning this morning . . . same error

As a test, I turned the charging schedule off and tried again, same thing. I then pulled the charger out and tried, and it did start so I thought ok, let it run for the full 15 minutes to make sure it's working. Got in 15 minutes later, cabin was stone cold and so were the seats, yet it felt like the heated steering wheel was sat on heating position 1!

My wife had to go to work so I didn't have time to try this, but I wondered if deleting the charging schedule completely would allow it to work when plugged in rather than just turning the schedule off, however either way this means I can't use the function with my car set to charge at off-peak hours.

Can anybody else here verify they can charge via a scheduled time and still use pre-conditioning successfully?

I've also noticed the app temperature that says 'at car' is 2°C lower than the temperature displayed in the car for some reason, so this morning the app said 0° yet the car stated 2°C. Not sure if this means anything and I'm assuming wouldn't affect the main issue anyway, just an observation.

Old Jan 8th, 2024, 08:31   #29
Yelper85

Quote:
Tried pre-conditioning this morning . . . same error

As a test, I turned the charging schedule off and tried again, same thing. I then pulled the charger out and tried, and it did start so I thought ok, let it run for the full 15 minutes to make sure it's working. Got in 15 minutes later, cabin was stone cold and so were the seats, yet it felt like the heated steering wheel was sat on heating position 1!

My wife had to go to work so I didn't have time to try this, but I wondered if deleting the charging schedule completely would allow it to work when plugged in rather than just turning the schedule off, however either way this means I can't use the function with my car set to charge at off-peak hours.

Can anybody else here verify they can charge via a scheduled time and still use pre-conditioning successfully?

I've also noticed the app temperature that says 'at car' is 2°C lower than the temperature displayed in the car for some reason, so this morning the app said 0° yet the car stated 2°C. Not sure if this means anything and I'm assuming wouldn't affect the main issue anyway, just an observation.
Just found this link: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...%20doing%20it.

So it appears it should work with the cable connected and you just need to turn the schedule off if you want to charge the battery as the preconditioning is consuming it.

Old Feb 9th, 2024, 21:49   #30
Yelper85

Quote:
Just found this link: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...%20doing%20it.

So it appears it should work with the cable connected and you just need to turn the schedule off if you want to charge the battery as the preconditioning is consuming it.
So the car has been in with the dealer for two weeks now. Volvo authorised a new fuel fired heater which came from Sweden, fitted it, tested, exactly the same issue! The technician said all the sensors are reading correctly and all the triggers are there but it refuses to fire up and locks it out, so now it's another to-and-fro with technical reports between the dealer and Volvo Sweden as to what to do next, and to top it off they need the current loan car back as they have sold it.

The new boot struts have been fitted. Apparently these cost £1,100 for the pair! Thank god it was under warranty!

All the other issues are yet to be looked at but apparently they are looking to wipe the entire cars software and start from scratch, however that just fills me with dread as I get the feeling it will fix one thing and create two more, just like Microsoft

So yeah, I'm fed up of this crap and I do think it's time to say goodbye once we get it back as clearly it's plagued. I just want a fault free car, and I don't think that's too much to ask when paying over £50k for it. . . . .?

The Following User Says Thank You to Yelper85 For This Useful Post: