Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Leak

Views : 2273

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2010, 14:17   #11
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbych View Post
quick check on Vadis, and I have the details of the clamp and 2 seals

See, not as bad as you thought it was going to be eh.

Just don't forget to refill the oil!!

Not sure on why your abs light would come on - maybe oil has got onto the front offside sensor.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 14:20   #12
bobbych
Premier Member

not sure about that either, they both came on initially together at idle, then on revving, they both went off. Seems the ABS lights is either mistakenly linked to oil pressure, or is a co-incidence. they seems to work at the same time

there is a lot of oil in that area though. needs a clean. Will be off to Volvo Dundee first thing with my parts list

LUCKILY, i was due to change the oil this weekend anyway. Only problem was I was going to throw in some flush before draining. I dont think I lost more than 2 ltrs, so I may be ok to run it with whats left, at idle for 10 mins with the flush in, before draining

1994 850 TURBO (2008 - 2011)
Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather
bobbych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 14:40   #13
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
not sure about that either, they both came on initially together at idle, then on revving, they both went off. Seems the ABS lights is either mistakenly linked to oil pressure, or is a co-incidence. they seems to work at the same time

there is a lot of oil in that area though. needs a clean. Will be off to Volvo Dundee first thing with my parts list

LUCKILY, i was due to change the oil this weekend anyway. Only problem was I was going to throw in some flush before draining. I dont think I lost more than 2 ltrs, so I may be ok to run it with whats left, at idle for 10 mins with the flush in, before draining

The cooler itself can hold 0.75-1 litre on its own and the oil is under pressure so you may have lost more than 2 litres. Although saying that it is the top connection so won't be as bad as if the lower connection had failed. (bearing in mind the top one I would be tempted to check what the lower connection is like!)

I would check the oil level and at the very least fill it back up to the bottom of the dipstick before starting the engine.

That was a really epic bodge job - I've done an occasional one or two in the past to "get me home" but never on that scale!

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 14:46   #14
bobbych
Premier Member

I have a feeling the ABS is bodged too. Ever since I got the car, I have noticed a Purple wire has been cut, and is hanging out of the ABS ECU wiring loom

From this area [but not sure where from yet] is a blue wire which has been added, and goes down to the front of the engine, and is scotchblocked onto a sensor down there, which I am now thinking is poss the oil pressure sensor. This might explain the lights coming on together. Why anyone would want to wire that up I have no idea?

Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 14:49   #15
bobbych
Premier Member

now back to the leak

as search on tinternet, has revealed this as the part numbered clamp

I cant quite see how this clamps the hose to the rad. I take it, parts need to be 'crimped' into the slots on the pipe/rad?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7947.jpg (38.9 KB, 4 views)

Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 15:12   #16
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
now back to the leak

as search on tinternet, has revealed this as the part numbered clamp

I cant quite see how this clamps the hose to the rad. I take it, parts need to be 'crimped' into the slots on the pipe/rad?
I'll try and take a pic of the one on my car when I get home tonight to show you how it fits together.

Basically one end of the clip fits a slot on the pipe, the other end of the clip fits a slot on the rad.

It helps if you have a pair of circlip pliers to "open" the clip. A new clip will usually "snap" into place - no need to crimp it. If you are worried you could put a cable tie around the clip to ensure it won't open out.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO

Last edited by acshortt5; Jan 14th, 2010 at 15:19.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 15:16   #17
bobbych
Premier Member

thanks,

I will get the clip from Volvo tomorrow and go from there

Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 15:52   #18
Matthews 855 T5
Master Member

Quote:
thanks,

I will get the clip from Volvo tomorrow and go from there
Good job you were'nt at speed when the hose blew, would have destroyed your motor.

This link to VS might be helpful with the clips, the bottom picture especially:

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/oilcooler.php

Hope it goes well.
Matt
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 16:22   #19
PowerOfTheBlues
Brother in arms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews 855 T5 View Post
Good job you were'nt at speed when the hose blew, would have destroyed your motor.

Mine (lower hose) blew off when going 80. Noticed oil light and a new tinted rear windscreen. Pulled in to the next layby and switched off. Oil everywhere, the O/S wheels had been salad spinners.

A tow truck and a cup of tea later and the garage near our house in Devon lashed the pipe back on. (A jubilee on both the oil cooler and the pipe, and then a couple of cable ties to pull them together, and a re-tighten of the jubilees to secure.)

Has been fine so far for 9k

Regards,
- Richard
PowerOfTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 17:03   #20
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
I have a feeling the ABS is bodged too. Ever since I got the car, I have noticed a Purple wire has been cut, and is hanging out of the ABS ECU wiring loom

From this area [but not sure where from yet] is a blue wire which has been added, and goes down to the front of the engine, and is scotchblocked onto a sensor down there, which I am now thinking is poss the oil pressure sensor. This might explain the lights coming on together. Why anyone would want to wire that up I have no idea?
I'm guessing that the ABS has a problem and the PO bodged the wiring this way to stop the ABS warning light from being illuminated during an MoT test - its a test failure item (see http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_340.htm ). The lamp must illuminate on engine startup and then go out shortly afterwards... so the oil pressure bodge is quite a clever one. Still a toerag for doing it though - hope the ABS fix is an easy one for you.

Last edited by RollingThunder; Jan 14th, 2010 at 17:24.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote