Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC40 new rear brake pads and discs already!!

Views : 597

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2024, 20:17   #1
SportyFranco

Angry XC40 new rear brake pads and discs already!!

Bought XC40 T4 AWD inscription (37k on clock) from dealership. Passed its MOT during the preparation, bought with the two year service deal on finance.
Nice car, really pleased with it, first step into ‘luxury’ or higher spec range, having previously had Kia Sportage.
Car in for service 2-3 weeks after purchasing … new rear brake pads needed, 90% wear … £300!!
Took it to another garage to test breaks, they agreed rear pads needs replacing but also discs were worn, showing red in patches and needed replacing asap. Couldn’t quote as didn’t have diagnostics for electric handbrake.
Feel completely short changed by the dealership but is there anything I can do … looking at >£500 bill to rectify problem!!
Only had car 4weeks!!!

Is this just standard practice?

Am I naive to dealerships workings and should always ask about perishables … depth of tyre tread, brake pads, discs etc before purchasing!?!?
Didn’t think a 68reg with 37k on clock would need this already … service also showed each tyre had 3-4mm tread remaining … they’ll need replacing in next 3-4months.

Any advice on how to approach dealership about these issues and have them pay for some or all of repairs of these issues? (Zero chance I know!!)
Or have I got no leg to stand on!? Take it and never let it happen again!!
SportyFranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 20:52   #2
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

2-3 weeks after mot is a bit poor, should of at least been noted as an advisory on the mot. If this was any other car and you had had it in for mot they would be telling you it needed new brakes. I would be bringing this up. How many miles have you done since purchase? I’m assuming not a 1000 a week haha. It is wear and tear but I mean they must have been well down when your purchased it. You don’t expect to buy something and then have to return it 3 weeks later for repair. I’d certainly ask the question in a polite but firm way. I’m assuming it was a Volvo dealer? Volvo selekt car should have passed various checks. That said If they haven’t reached there minimum specified thickness that could be there get out clause but it’s just not a good “customer experience”

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; Mar 18th, 2024 at 20:54.
GrahamBrown1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 23:22   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyFranco View Post
Bought XC40 T4 AWD inscription (37k on clock) from dealership. Passed its MOT during the preparation, bought with the two year service deal on finance.
Nice car, really pleased with it, first step into ‘luxury’ or higher spec range, having previously had Kia Sportage.
Car in for service 2-3 weeks after purchasing … new rear brake pads needed, 90% wear … £300!!
Took it to another garage to test breaks, they agreed rear pads needs replacing but also discs were worn, showing red in patches and needed replacing asap. Couldn’t quote as didn’t have diagnostics for electric handbrake.
Feel completely short changed by the dealership but is there anything I can do … looking at >£500 bill to rectify problem!!
Only had car 4weeks!!!

Is this just standard practice?

Am I naive to dealerships workings and should always ask about perishables … depth of tyre tread, brake pads, discs etc before purchasing!?!?
Didn’t think a 68reg with 37k on clock would need this already … service also showed each tyre had 3-4mm tread remaining … they’ll need replacing in next 3-4months.

Any advice on how to approach dealership about these issues and have them pay for some or all of repairs of these issues? (Zero chance I know!!)
Or have I got no leg to stand on!? Take it and never let it happen again!!
Did you buy it from a volvo dealer?
Yes 36000 miles is about right for rear pads so they were obviously the originals, Rear discs need changing every second set of pads so should still be serviceable.
If you got it from a dealer it should have had a SELEKT used car check with the appropriate check sheet in the handbook folder.

Don't let them do this to you ...
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 18:20   #4
mark1400

Had a service today at my very good local garage, was told rear pads have 3k left but disks are ok. My xc40 has done 20,500 miles.
Cheers
mark1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 08:21   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1400 View Post
Had a service today at my very good local garage, was told rear pads have 3k left but disks are ok. My xc40 has done 20,500 miles.
Cheers
he should be quoting pad thickness in mm any idea what the figure is? That is high rear pad wear.
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 11:29   #6
mark1400

You are right it is high wear, ive had the car 1 year and been gentle on the brakes.

Good point that I should have been told the thickness of the pads.

I was quoted £150 for fitted pads.

cheers.
mark1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 22:31   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1400 View Post
You are right it is high wear, ive had the car 1 year and been gentle on the brakes.

Good point that I should have been told the thickness of the pads.

I was quoted £150 for fitted pads.

cheers.
Are they Supplying Genuine volvo pads ?

I would find out exactly the thickness remaining first.

Tags
brake discs, brake pad costs, xc40