Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2008 V70 washer reservoir leaks when filled

Views : 10877

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 23:39   #1
JeffreySL2012

Default 2008 V70 washer reservoir leaks when filled

I have a 2008 Volvo V70 that leaks windshield washer fluid in front of the drivers side tire when I try to top it off. I had it at the dealer and they said this is normal and you can not fill the windshield washer reservoir all the way up to the cap. Does anyone know if this is true. Can other V70 owners chime in and let me know if you can fill your reservoir all the way up the cap?
JeffreySL2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JeffreySL2012 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 05:34   #2
Backhill1
Master Member

I just noticed the same with mine so interested in comments also

My old shape v70 you can brim no problem with no leaks, as if as no seal now on the filler neck?
Backhill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 11:56   #3
krzemien

Definitely not normal and absolutely not acceptable, have a look at this thread:

http://volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=144437

Quote:
I had it at the dealer and they said this is normal and you can not fill the windshield washer reservoir all the way up to the cap
I have heard that as well, although politely pointed out that I had no issues with my Almera earlier...
krzemien is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krzemien For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 14:37   #4
cloggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySL2012 View Post
I had it at the dealer and they said this is normal and you can not fill the windshield washer reservoir all the way up to the cap.
Don't let them get away with that! Mine is now out of warrantee and after having had to get it sorted twice in the first two years of owning it the problem has returned.

The connections on the window washer reservoir must have been 'value engineered'. It is a shame that for such a big safe car the window washer jets and tank are below par!

(Tried to reword this so I sound less frustrated, but knowing I will have to pay someone to put the hoses under my bonnet back together for more than I would like to spend on it makes me annoyed)

Like I said: Don't let them get away with it!
cloggers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cloggers For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 17:51   #5
clivea
clivea

My 2010 XC70 washer reservoir can be topped right up and holds that level until I start to use the washers.

April 2014 Subaru Forester XE Lineatronic.
2010-April 2014 XC70 SE Premium 205ps D5 Geartronic AWD 2010MY Oyster Grey
clivea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 22:24   #6
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivea View Post
My 2010 XC70 washer reservoir can be topped right up and holds that level until I start to use the washers.
Yep I can now do that but I did have a problem a few months ago. I started a thread on the problem I had here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...adlight+washer I understand there have been several similar problems, just search "headlight washer leaking" and it throws up all sorts.

Having said that I assume you have headlight washers and, coming from Dallas, your car will be LHD, if it is the case I suspect the leak will be exactly where mine leaked from and will be from the connection to the headlight washer pump. Fixing the pipe back onto the small pump is doable but fiddly, see my original thread.
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 21:54   #7
Lewy

bottle should fill to top. had 3 problems with mine in 12 months, filler neck disconnected from bottle, headlight washer pipe came off of bottle and headlight washer pipe split. Took all 12 months to get it sorted and had to pay for split pipe as out of warranty - £250!!!!

If you are within warranty keep bugging them until they sort it. Dealers give you all sorts of excuses because it's not a quick or easy job so costs them.
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 17:43   #8
harryd

Doesnt the filler neck pull up seperate from the tank?
I recall an issue with my S2 V70 and think it just needed reseating.
To be honest though, I havent looked at my S3 V70 to check but perhaps?
56 XC70 D5 (185 remapped to 218) G'tronic SE - Past
04 V70 D5 (163) Manual SE totally standard- Past
harryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 21:11   #9
rogerb
Lets take it to bits

My old '08 V70 leaked in two places.
1: the first part of the pipe to the headlight washers before the Y piece , had split.
The pipe was only available as a complete piece , from the pump to both headlight washers.
I cut the molded piece of pipe out and fitted a short length of rubber hose.
2:The second leak was from the body of the headlight washer it self , it appeared to have a small crack in it ,probably frost damage , I never got round to fixing this as it looked like I would have to take the bumper of to get at it.

Regards Roger
rogerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 11:38   #10
Model flyer
Master Member

My sons 2009 v70 washer tank leaked . fix was simple . The tubing that just pushes on the pump had split and liquid would dribble out . We cut the split part off and warmed the end so it slid over the outlets easily . The annoying thing is "A" stripping the plastic guard out of the way for such a simple fix . "B" the cheap penny pinching tubing used on an otherwise brilliant car.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote