Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery not charging

Views : 3323

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2013, 16:30   #1
Argyllt6

Unhappy Battery not charging

Hi. I have just bought an 2003 xc90 t6 wad

When I went to see the car the battery was flat and was told that he was away on holiday for a couple of weeks hence why the battery was flat.
So we jump started her and then drove home.

The car started this morning no problem but had some suspicions on the battery.
I put my multi meter on the battery with the engine running and it was 8.5 volts so obviously something's amiss.

Is my alternator knackered as I believe the 2003 model has an in built self regulator..
Or is there some other electrical component in between the alternator and the battery causing the battery to not charge.

Cheers..;/ live the car as its the se with all the gizmos it's now parked up due to this. As she died today!
Any help will be greatly appreciated..
Argyllt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 17:41   #2
A lex
Premier Member

If you can get access to a working VIDA/DiCE install, it has an inbuilt alternator test that will tell you whether its the battery or the alternator.

Often, if a battery is allowed to get seriously low, it will be permanently damaged and no longer accept a full charge.

A new heavy duty battery for the XC (from Varta) is about £90 from eBay / motor factors, so thats where I would start.

New battery first - and then if still knackered start down the track of a new alternator.....?

If you are close to friendly forum member try to steal/beg/borrow a working VIDA install.

In the long run, buying a VIDA/DiCE from eBay can end up saving you big £££ and will provide all the answers you need in situations like this.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 19:51   #3
Argyllt6

Many thanks A lex for your reply.

I swapped the battery over from my zafira which works fine and there is no voltage increase when the Volvo is running only showing 12. Volts so I'm pretty sure the alternator is
goosed..
How much are the visa/dice ?

It looks a right pain to change the alternator too..

I've just noticed very vaguely a couple of messages on my dash too
1. Srs air bag service
2. Anti skid service

Great hope I ain't bought a dog!

Cheers

Last edited by Argyllt6; Sep 17th, 2013 at 19:52. Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 20:04   #4
Argyllt6

Forgot to ask is vida a separate diagnostic tool from dice?

Please excuse my ignorance here..

Seen a vida tool on eBay for under £100

Thanks..
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 20:40   #5
A lex
Premier Member

VIDA is the desktop software (Volvo Aftersales Diagnostic Information) and DiCE is the hardware tool that goes between the computer and the car allowing them to talk to each other.

VIDA is free should come bundled with any DiCE

I paid 86GBP for my DiCE delivered from Hong Kong.

If you have a few other errors listed then I suggest getting a VIDA DiCE setup, itll pay for itself very, very quickly.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 20:47   #6
coughlanc

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyllt6 View Post

It looks a right pain to change the alternator too..

I've just noticed very vaguely a couple of messages on my dash too
1. Srs air bag service
2. Anti skid service

Great hope I ain't bought a dog!
Hopefully these new errors are just another smptom of your failing alternator and down to the various control modules through out the car not seeing enough voltage to satisfy them. You could hook up a set of jump leads from another car and see if this causes the warnings to go.
coughlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coughlanc For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 21:21   #7
Argyllt6

Thanks for the info guys.

Glad for the positive responses was beginning to think the worst about this car I've just bought (yesterday) in surprisingly the guy that sold me it ain't answering his phone!

Will defo' buy the dice/visa install and see what flags up. I did notice a slight screech from the auxiliary belt too (possible alternator bearings)??

The tool will tell me for sure..

Thanks guys.. Feel Abit better now
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 11:53   #8
Argyllt6

right i went to the local garage and got the car plugged in

had a few error messages which cleared but 2 error messages stayed they are:

001c-air bag ignition circuit 2 driversb side resistance too high( drivers steering wheel airbag plug?)

0114-yaw rate sensor incorrect/no signal ( my carpet is damp and ive since cleared the blocked sunroof drain holes!

ok i bought a new battery today and the alternator is not charging the battery at all.

is there a diagram on how to change the alternaton??

thanks guys..
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 16:26   #9
malcolmsk432
malcolmv70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyllt6 View Post
right i went to the local garage and got the car plugged in

had a few error messages which cleared but 2 error messages stayed they are:

001c-air bag ignition circuit 2 driversb side resistance too high( drivers steering wheel airbag plug?)

0114-yaw rate sensor incorrect/no signal ( my carpet is damp and ive since cleared the blocked sunroof drain holes!

ok i bought a new battery today and the alternator is not charging the battery at all.

is there a diagram on how to change the alternaton??

thanks guys..
Hi,
Just joined the site today as I am having the same trouble as you by the looks of it on the V70. I bought the new battery and it seem to be fine, then all collapsed after a long journey. AA said alternator and checked myself and not charging. New alternator installed but same. Looks like the new alternator has 'blown' as well. At the moment checking the wiring, etc, see if anything else in the circuit. Looking for a drawing myself.
Re the warning messages - you may have to connect the battery in a certain way. Here I have to connect the +ve first, then switch the ignition to position II then connect the negative. This avoids the spurious airbag alarms, etc. Good Hunting
malcolmsk432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 18:09   #10
Argyllt6

hi, sorry to here your having problems like i am to..

i wrestled the alternator off today and im now waiting for the new one to turn up aswell as a new belt..
wasnt getting any charge through to the battery at all. bought a new battery too.
fingers crossed its just the alternator. dont think theres anything else inbetween the alternator and battery ie component wise. my wiring looks all ok too..

i dont know on on any procedure when installing a new alternator but hopefully someone on here can advise you even further.. all the best mate