Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122

Views : 646602

Replies : 1365

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2022, 04:30   #971
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Brookhouse sell the original style relays. https://classicvolvoparts.co.uk/sear...&Submit=Search
That is helpful, the same relay at £30. The old style one would look the part if fitted in Maud’s engine bay. A 1980s Volvo 240 would probably be better, but might look a bit odd (although I could hide it away under the motor car).

Alan
Old Sep 17th, 2022, 08:07   #972
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

... particularly if I used a LED bulb with a large impedance.
Why not use a bi-colour LED? Green for OD available and yellow for active?

https://www.spiratronics.com/tri-col...en-13119-p.asp

That's a 5mm version, 8mm and 10mm versions are also available :

https://www.spiratronics.com/tri-col...en-13127-p.asp

https://www.spiratronics.com/tri-col...en-13129-p.asp

Connect the cathode to earth via a 560 Ohm resistor, connect the green anode to terminal 56a as per the tell-tale in the first diagram and connect the red anode to your second position. It is possible to get momentary pushbuttons with LEDs built in, not sure if you can get them with a bi-colour LED already fitted but it should be easy enough to dismantle the switch and retrofit a bi-colour making the whole thing just need one hole to fit the switch and tell-tale with the extra function of the green and yellow outputs.
If you find the 560 Ohm resistor is too dim, you could change if for a 470 Ohm resistor.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2022, 10:36   #973
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Why not use a bi-colour LED? Green for OD available and yellow for active?

https://www.spiratronics.com/tri-col...en-13119-p.asp

That's a 5mm version, 8mm and 10mm versions are also available :

https://www.spiratronics.com/tri-col...en-13127-p.asp

https://www.spiratronics.com/tri-col...en-13129-p.asp

Connect the cathode to earth via a 560 Ohm resistor, connect the green anode to terminal 56a as per the tell-tale in the first diagram and connect the red anode to your second position. It is possible to get momentary pushbuttons with LEDs built in, not sure if you can get them with a bi-colour LED already fitted but it should be easy enough to dismantle the switch and retrofit a bi-colour making the whole thing just need one hole to fit the switch and tell-tale with the extra function of the green and yellow outputs.
If you find the 560 Ohm resistor is too dim, you could change if for a 470 Ohm resistor.
What a brilliant idea Dave - that would be a really neat solution at almost no cost, and the outcome would make me really happy.

Just to be really clever I could fit a small rheostat in the earth return to use as a dimmer switch - perhaps mount the whole thing on a little panel (painted Volvo 46 red) under the dash (more or less where the ex-HRW switch is now, but a little bigger).

This forum is so useful - people come up with such good ideas.

Alan

PS. I should think one of these little trimpots would do, it will be taking almost no current:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115368122...Bk9SR6SF-qzpYA

Last edited by Othen; Sep 17th, 2022 at 10:53. Reason: Spelling mistake
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2022, 11:09   #974
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
What a brilliant idea Dave - that would be a really neat solution at almost no cost, and the outcome would make me really happy.

Just to be really clever I could fit a small rheostat in the earth return to use as a dimmer switch - perhaps mount the whole thing on a little panel (painted Volvo 46 red) under the dash (more or less where the ex-HRW switch is now, but a little bigger).

This forum is so useful - people come up with such good ideas.

Alan

PS. I should think one of these little trimpots would do, it will be taking almost no current:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115368122...Bk9SR6SF-qzpYA
The LED would never light with that potentiometer Alan - a 5k resistor would develop something like 100V across it at 20mA which is far in excess of the cars voltage and way above the 2.0-2.2V for the LEDs. Even at 4mA (usually the minimum turn-on current for LEDs) a 5k will still drop 20V.

Using a 470 Ohm resistor as the main current limiting resistor you could add a 2.7k potentiometer in series as a dimmer to drop the current to 4mA for night time use if you really needed to but the LED would be nearly off on the minimum setting.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2022, 11:26   #975
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The LED would never light with that potentiometer Alan - a 5k resistor would develop something like 100V across it at 20mA which is far in excess of the cars voltage and way above the 2.0-2.2V for the LEDs. Even at 4mA (usually the minimum turn-on current for LEDs) a 5k will still drop 20V.

Using a 470 Ohm resistor as the main current limiting resistor you could add a 2.7k potentiometer in series as a dimmer to drop the current to 4mA for night time use if you really needed to but the LED would be nearly off on the minimum setting.
Have another look at the eBay ad Dave - it is a compendium of trimpots from 500 Ohm to one mega ohm. One of the lower values would be perfectly good in the earth return. The advantage of getting a whole box (of 100 with 10 different values) like this is I could experiment until I got it right.

It looks like a pretty good value kit to me - I may buy one anyway for the electronics components box.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Sep 17th, 2022 at 11:29.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2022, 11:44   #976
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Have another look at the eBay ad Dave - it is a compendium of trimpots from 500 Ohm to one mega ohm. One of the lower values would be perfectly good in the earth return. The advantage of getting a whole box (of 100 with 10 different values) like this is I could experiment until I got it right.

It looks like a pretty good value kit to me - I may buy one anyway for the electronics components box.

Ah, you're right Alan, i read it as 5000 Ohm, mainly because they didn't put a space between the value and unit!

Even so, you'll still need a current limiting resistor of ~470 Ohms between the LED and potentiometer so when the pot is on zero Ohms, it doesn't feed the LED with 12-14V with no current limit.
They are however preset pots so adjusting while driving won't be practical one of these with a 2k value in series with the 470 resistor would work though :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283066568348

Then find a suitable knob for it that suited the interior of GAM and job done.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 13:06   #977
Othen
Premier Member

Default Sywell Amazon Meeting

Bob and I spent the morn with the Amazon section at Sywell airfield (only about 15 miles distant). What a nice bunch of people they are, and what a lovely display of Amazons:

... and a bonus we saw these two Spitfires:

Many thanks to Peter for running the event - we will certainly attend next year.

Old Sep 18th, 2022, 13:34   #978
Othen
Premier Member

I found this really nice line drawing of an Amazon online:

It is available to download (free) here:

https://volvoamazonpictures.se/docum...wing/122BP.pdf
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 14:57   #979
Othen
Premier Member

Default So that's what it is!

I've often wondered what this bit that came with GAM was for:

... then someone kindly explained at the recent Sywell meeting that it was a blind for the radiator - to aid warming up in cold weather.

I found it out of the spares shed today, and I think I've worked out how it fits on and operates, but I still have a few questions. It seems to be complete apart from the wooden spar that runs through the blind at the bottom of the photo (above) - it has rotted away but enough remains for me to take some measurements and it would be trivial to manufacture another.

I'm guessing it fits (and please correct me if I have got it wrong) the way up I have it in the photo, so that the spar at the bottom is secured by the two self-tapping screws on the panel just in front of the radiator. The blind then somehow wraps around the wooden rod in the frame at the top of the photo such that spring tension normally keeps it at the bottom of the radiator. Here are my first two questions:
a. How does the blind attach to the wooden roller? Is it glued, stapled or something else?

b. Should the two fabric straps be attached to the fabric blind (perhaps glued)?
I assume the chain then attaches to the middle of the spring loaded mangle affair, perhaps with a small shackle, such that the force of the coiled spring normally holds it in the lowest position. I imagine the chain then runs upwards to this change of direction device at the top of the radiator:

... then over the engine to this little chap:

... and so into the cabin where the large ring normally rests against this little bracket (I have often wondered what it is for):

Would that all be right? Assuming it is, I have a few more questions:
c. How much tension should there be in the wringer affair when it is in the normal (open) position.

d. Is there somewhere to stow the chain in the cabin when the blind is pulled up?
There is no need for this mechanism in out mild British climate (although I suspect it is quite useful to get things going at -20c in northern Sweden), but all the same I thought I might repair it such that it could work. I don't think I'd actually have it affixed to Maud - perhaps I'll just get it working for a photo and then store it safely for posterity.

Any advice on the above would be much appreciated.

Alan

PS. Perhaps I'll fit the device for one day/year at the Sywell meeting?

Last edited by Othen; Sep 24th, 2022 at 15:15. Reason: Spelling error.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 15:59   #980
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
I've often wondered what this bit that came with GAM was for:

... then someone kindly explained at the recent Sywell meeting that it was a blind for the radiator - to aid warming up in cold weather.

I found it out of the spares shed today, and I think I've worked out how it fits on and operates, but I still have a few questions. It seems to be complete apart from the wooden spar that runs through the blind at the bottom of the photo (above) - it has rotted away but enough remains for me to take some measurements and it would be trivial to manufacture another.

I'm guessing it fits (and please correct me if I have got it wrong) the way up I have it in the photo, so that the spar at the bottom is secured by the two self-tapping screws on the panel just in front of the radiator. The blind then somehow wraps around the wooden rod in the frame at the top of the photo such that spring tension normally keeps it at the bottom of the radiator. Here are my first two questions:
a. How does the blind attach to the wooden roller? Is it glued, stapled or something else?

b. Should the two fabric straps be attached to the fabric blind (perhaps glued)?
I assume the chain then attaches to the middle of the spring loaded mangle affair, perhaps with a small shackle, such that the force of the coiled spring normally holds it in the lowest position. I imagine the chain then runs upwards to this change of direction device at the top of the radiator:

... then over the engine to this little chap:

... and so into the cabin where the large ring normally rests against this little bracket (I have often wondered what it is for):

Would that all be right? Assuming it is, I have a few more questions:
c. How much tension should there be in the wringer affair when it is in the normal (open) position.

d. Is there somewhere to stow the chain in the cabin when the blind is pulled up?
There is no need for this mechanism in out mild British climate (although I suspect it is quite useful to get things going at -20c in northern Sweden), but all the same I thought I might repair it such that it could work. I don't think I'd actually have it affixed to Maud - perhaps I'll just get it working for a photo and then store it safely for posterity.

Any advice on the above would be much appreciated.

Alan

PS. Perhaps I'll fit the device for one day/year at the Sywell meeting?

She’s just a girl who keeps on giving Alan.

Super little project!!!😁