Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New-style key & electronic parking brake.

Views : 2440

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 08:25   #1
osbourne one-nil

Default New-style key & electronic parking brake.

Ever since I moved from a 55 XC70 to an 09 V70, I've wondered what the thinking behind the newer style key is. What was wrong with having a proper key which you stuck in a slot to the right of the steering wheel where it was then out of sight? I don't personally see the benefit of sticking a plastic box into a slot in the middle of the dashboard where any other keys on the keyring will jiggle about and probably end up scratching the dash.

And the same goes for this electronic handbrake....what was wrong with an old style one? I stalled at a roundabout the other day (something even my wife found hard to do in an automatic) and just couldn't remember instantly to put my foot on the brake pedal and start and then release...push or pull.....urgh. And how are you meant to perform a hill start with one of these if it won't release unless your foot's on the brake? I live in Cumbria - hill starts are quite important!

I suspect I'm being a bit thick, but both these seem like doing something just for the sake of it.

EDIT - Right....get it now.....re-read the user manual. I feel a fool!

Last edited by osbourne one-nil; Jul 23rd, 2012 at 08:35.
osbourne one-nil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 09:18   #2
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbourne one-nil View Post
Ever since I moved from a 55 XC70 to an 09 V70, I've wondered what the thinking behind the newer style key is. What was wrong with having a proper key which you stuck in a slot to the right of the steering wheel where it was then out of sight? I don't personally see the benefit of sticking a plastic box into a slot in the middle of the dashboard where any other keys on the keyring will jiggle about and probably end up scratching the dash.

And the same goes for this electronic handbrake....what was wrong with an old style one? I stalled at a roundabout the other day (something even my wife found hard to do in an automatic) and just couldn't remember instantly to put my foot on the brake pedal and start and then release...push or pull.....urgh. And how are you meant to perform a hill start with one of these if it won't release unless your foot's on the brake? I live in Cumbria - hill starts are quite important!

I suspect I'm being a bit thick, but both these seem like doing something just for the sake of it.

EDIT - Right....get it now.....re-read the user manual. I feel a fool!
Just as I was going to answer you you've read the User Manual, hey ho enjoy the car. By the way my car is also automatic and I never use the "parking brake" unless the car is parked on a slope - that was in my old auto Merc's User Manual. Having read the Owner's Manual you'll know what to do on a hill start. I also never put the handbrake / parking brakes on cars that I park in a garage. I worked in a garage when I was young (many years ago) and the garage owner always said if there was a fire it was easier and quicker just to push the cars out without gaffing about getting in and out of cars to release the handbrakes. With an electronic parking brake, if it is going to fail, I'd rather it failed "off" than "on".
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantA For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 09:28   #3
osbourne one-nil

I did have to download the manual, to be fair to me - it didn't come with the car! I also thought, being fairly fundamental, the dealer may have pointed it out to me....I knew how the indicators work so could have done without that bit. Might go for a drive in the Lakes this evening just to try it our on the Hardknott Pass!

Still think the key's rubbish though!
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:07   #4
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Still think the key's rubbish though!
Personally I quite like the key thingy, it reminds me of the old days when you used to have to "press the starter" to start the engine. You did have to put a key in but that was only turned on the ignition.

Anyway now you have that sorted time to enjoy the comfort and relaxed driving of the V70 - just hope you don't meet any numpties when you are out for your drive this evening!!
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 12:26   #5
osbourne one-nil

First week of the school holidays....maybe I'll head up Great Dun Fell instead!

I really enjoy the car itself - particularly the 48mpg it's averaging so far compared to my XC70's 35mpg which, over the course of a year will save me about £1000 in fuel. If money was no object though, I'd stil get an XC70 at the drop of a hat.
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 13:02   #6
GrantA
Master Member

I've only had my XC70 a couple of months but love it to bits, it is so much smoother than the Mercedes "C" Class it replaced, bigger but better. The MPG could be better but it is a 4x4 and I'll put up with that, I get 32+mpg around town, back and fore to the shops (about 6 kms) and 38+mpg on the autoroutes (motorways).
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 16:06   #7
osbourne one-nil

Easily the best car I've ever had. My V70's great, quiet, refined, comfy, but it doesn't feel as perfect or luxurious as the XC70 did. I might find a long-range forecast which says this winter's going to be bad and explain to my wife that it would be prudent to ensure a 4x4 in the household.
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 19:20   #8
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
I might find a long-range forecast which says this winter's going to be bad and explain to my wife that it would be prudent to ensure a 4x4 in the household.
That's what I told my wife as we intend to move to the north of Scotland when we sell up here in France. Sitting here in the evening with the temp just dropping below 31C we must be mad moving back but family pressures are making it difficult to stay here. Hey ho we are enjoying the weather while we can.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 21:50   #9
osbourne one-nil

Is there a secret to the parking brake releasing itself? It only works now and then with the rest of the time just holding the car firm and the dashboard telling me to press the brake pedal to release!
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 22:22   #10
wheelnut

Mine seems to do that occasionally too. Doesn't seem to be any pattern.
I have to say that when I drive my Alfa Spider weekend toy, I much prefer the conventional handbrake.
My last car (Citroen C5) and my wife's Scenic both set and release the handbrake automatically - which is useful, but in the V70, it only releases (sometimes).
It is even a bit more of a stretch to reach it than the C5 which was in the centre console.
2012 V70 Drive SE Lux, 2000 V70 SE2.4: 2000 V40 1.8SE: 1997 S70 2.0SE
Garage - Mercedes SLK & Honda CM400T
wheelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelnut For This Useful Post: