Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help 240 questions

Views : 2192

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 22:22   #1
tuning_redblock
Grrrrrrrrrrreat Member

Default Help 240 questions

Right here we go, as some of you may know I'm putting together my 245 Project Tulip (F reg GL B200E engine auto).

I have aquired a B23E B reg auto GLT, I am going to use the engine from this in my estate, complete with wiring etc etc.

Question 1) Can I use the front struts and springs as these are faitly new and look in great condition.

Question 2) can I adjust the camber by adjusting the top of the strut where it bolts to the chasis?

Question 3) out of all the B2*** engine which was the best for power?

Question 4) what can I expect mpg wise from a B23E whith a M47 gearbox behind it?

Question 5) How do I remove the top nut from the strut, I have strut on the bench with the springs compressed. Can I use a 24mm offset ring spanner and something on the tread? Anyone else's experience would be appreciated.

Regards Andi K,

P.S here are a couple of new pics:

Last edited by tuning_redblock; Jun 21st, 2006 at 22:33.
tuning_redblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 09:32   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

1) Yes these are better shocks and lowered springs. Mark position of existing strut.
2) Yes - but get it set on laser equipment - makes a lot of difference to the handling.
3) On the n/a the 80-82 B23E from Glts gave 140 bhp but the B230Es rev more freely. Most powerful n/a is the 16v but not a bolt in conversion.
4) Howe long is a piece of string? How much lead comes with your right boot? How much city driving? Figures seem to be from 20-35mpg with 25-28mpg probably being typical.
5) You are unlikely to succeed by the method you describe. Really should have been slackened on car. The best answer is to take it to a garage or tyre place and persuade them to use an air impact wrench on it. (If you have a spare £350 Snap On do a good cordess impact wrench that equals any air one - great if you have a lot of use for it especially away from a compressor)

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 17:14   #3
gary austin

Thumbs down glt

hi to be honest i would have converted the free glt to a manual and restored it , not many of the early ones left instead of striping it,but thats your desition ,i actually took pics of it in the car park at the bkv because it was so nice glad i did .good luck gary
gary austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 20:22   #4
Steve Curtis
super cruising 240

Thumbs down

It's none of my bussiness, But I must say I agree with Gary. I saw that car at the B.K.V and it really stood out to meTotally did'nt realise that it was up for grabs. Did'nt look in that bad a shape. The old Glt's are suposed to be the best ones. You should think this through carefully as you may regret it. Good luck with your convertion anyway though.
Steve Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:56   #5
tuning_redblock
Grrrrrrrrrrreat Member

I knew I may get some flak for this so here goes.

The car has been re-registered so has a non original plate, both sills are completely rotten, the rear axel is not straight, there is extensive corrosion in the bulkhead, th rear window is cracked, both front floors are rotten, there is excessive play in the steering rack, all four discs are badly warped, both rear cailipers need refurbing, the prop doughnut is almost non existant, etc etc

Gentleman I thank everyone for help offered, but I must say remarks like this do not help the cause of getting younger people into restoring cars. I have the full nut and bolt restorations of a GT6 triumph mk2, a herald Vittese Mk2 and an 850 mini. I strip cars that are scrap, the GLT I picked up from MadMax (Maddie) was near the scrap yard, surely this is better than the whole car being crushed? Maybe it's me and I should spend thousands on a car that really in the next 10 years would not pay back what I inested in her. My Volvo projects are not for sale and will not be put for sale either.

Maybe I and the other members who are interested in period modificatoins should look elsewhere for help in the future? I am an enthusiastic member of the V3M but I have resisted the temptation to join turbobricks as I thought the VOC would be open to people modifying the older metal.

I'm sorry for the rant and I really do not mean to offend anyone but I have been offended by some of the remarks I have recieved in the past about ruining a perfectly god example of a car.

Can I just remind people I started with an MOT failure 240 GL auto estate with a cracked wind screen and non functioning electric wndows, I now have some very rare optional extras and a car I have alot of pride and joy in.

Regards Andi K
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 21:10   #6
wagoneer

I support the idea of modifying any car. There's been a rather nasty debate about it on the Practical Classics forum though so it can raise a few opinions! Most of us in the car community recognise when something is worth restoring to original or not and would I'm sure pass on a worthy example to someone with the desire to return to standard.
I for one am interested to see what tuning_redblock turns out as I'm slowly altering my 245 cosmetically to make it stand out, just......

Standard 'as the factory intended' cars are nice to look at, but I've been to shows where there are row upon row of the same cars, all looking like they left the showroom yesterday. It's just not for me, but I admire the dedication and enthusiasm of the owners.

R
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 21:21   #7
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuning_redblock
I knew I may get some flak for this so here goes.

The car has been re-registered so has a non original plate, both sills are completely rotten, the rear axel is not straight, there is extensive corrosion in the bulkhead, th rear window is cracked, both front floors are rotten, there is excessive play in the steering rack, all four discs are badly warped, both rear cailipers need refurbing, the prop doughnut is almost non existant, etc etc

Regards Andi K
With that much extensive, and structural rot (How the hell do you get rot in the bulkhead?) my own opinion FWIW is that you might well have been on a hiding to nowhere trying to restore the origional car, or at least a hiding to a great big money pit! So perhaps using it as a donor car is the best and most practical option.
As an aside, the GLT that I got from Steve Curtis is doing about 30 mpg overall, but thats with almost no town driving.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 21:46   #8
gary austin

Red face 240glt

hi sorry if my remarks ofended ,and i must admit ive done it recently to get some spares and i would agree the rot had beaten it, so as you say better use whats left rather than crush the lot ,good luck with your project car garyaustin
gary austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 22:00   #9
Inverted
Right Wheel Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Dawe
With that much extensive, and structural rot (How the hell do you get rot in the bulkhead?) my own opinion FWIW is that you might well have been on a hiding to nowhere trying to restore the origional car, or at least a hiding to a great big money pit! So perhaps using it as a donor car is the best and most practical option.
Totally agree with Alec, I have had a similar sitution in the past. My first car was an old Morris Minor, 1970 850cc, given to me as a 'project' to learn on. I spent hundreds chasing rust around the car - floor, sills, both b posts, 3 doors until I got fed up when one day after coming back from 3 weeks in the Lake District I found the car sat on its front bumper! The tops of the shocker mounts had gone! I knew they needed doing, I was just saving up to have the next batch done. I ended up scrapping the car - hard decision, but in hindsight the best one. I managed to save/sell some parts, which helped to at least refund a small amount of my outlay.

I was sad to see the car go, especially after all the time and effort. To try to restore a car that far gone is almost pointless, unless the car had some special meaning to the owner, or If it was a particularly unique model. Saving what parts you can to restore, improve or upgrade another is the next best thing. The omly other option would be to scrap it outright, which would be a real shame.

The car looks really nice in the pics, just goes to show appearences can be deceptive.

Hope all goes well with the conversion,

Regards,
Chas.

'95 945 B230FD Manual 87k
Koni Sports & PI Springs & Poly Bushes
Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 23:00   #10
tuning_redblock
Grrrrrrrrrrreat Member

Hello gents, I may have sounded a little more brisk than I intended, but I think we may have hit on something here, we need to find a way of bringing in more of the younger generation, I'm 23 and I've had 8 volvo's so far, only 2 ending up in the scrap yard but all of the cars I've had have been but a few miles from it.

Anyway, if anyone wants any parts that I dont want please pm me your requests and i will remove them from the car, all you need to do is come over and pick them up.

Regards Andi K