Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacement CAT for a 1998 V70R

Views : 1172

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2023, 13:47   #1
El Padrino

Default Replacement CAT for a 1998 V70R

The CAT on my 98 V70R looks like it will need replacing soon. It was an MOT advisory saying it was blowing but passed on the last one. I'm going to budget for one just in case it needs replacing. Think the CAT on the car is the original Volvo one.

Spoke to Caffyns who say the one for my car (part no: 8602991) has now been discontinued, like other OEM parts for cars of this vintage. Has anyone replaced their CAT with this one from PFS? https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...d33d9862727ff7

It references the Volvo part number, so must be correct. Just wanted to know if the fit and quality is as good as the Volvo OEM CAT.

Many thanks.
El Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to El Padrino For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2023, 13:57   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Padrino View Post
The CAT on my 98 V70R looks like it will need replacing soon. It was an MOT advisory saying it was blowing but passed on the last one. I'm going to budget for one just in case it needs replacing. Think the CAT on the car is the original Volvo one.

Spoke to Caffyns who say the one for my car (part no: 8602991) has now been discontinued, like other OEM parts for cars of this vintage. Has anyone replaced their CAT with this one from PFS? https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...d33d9862727ff7

It references the Volvo part number, so must be correct. Just wanted to know if the fit and quality is as good as the Volvo OEM CAT.

Many thanks.
No one else will make a cat of that quality now. That one may last a few years.. but a cheap price.
Old Sep 6th, 2023, 15:04   #3
El Padrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No one else will make a cat of that quality now. That one may last a few years.. but a cheap price.
Hi Clan, can you recommend anyone with a CAT that comes close or matches the quality of the Volvo CAT?

The one from PFS is a good price, but if it won't last then it won't be worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to El Padrino For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2023, 15:21   #4
Baffler
Premier Member

Sure does seem very cheap for what it is. Send PFV an email to try and find out who the UK manufacturer is.

Skandix have the same part for €354 https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...erter/1014336/ with no mention of manufacturer.

You could possibly source one from late C70 T5 breaker. Not sure for if it's a direct replacement, requires pipe modification, but I think I'd rather a second-hand genuine CAT as opposed to an inferior part...especially on an R.

Or could you have the blowing on your existing CAT repaired? I had a 480, some years ago, where the downpipe cracked where it joins the CAT. Luckily I found a chap local to me who welded it as good, or better, than original...without having to remove it

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2023, 15:57   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Padrino View Post
Hi Clan, can you recommend anyone with a CAT that comes close or matches the quality of the Volvo CAT?

The one from PFS is a good price, but if it won't last then it won't be worth it.
well no because they haven't been made for a while, I don't think you have 2 lamda sensors do you? around them the 2 sensor cat came out. which worked a little differently.

As said above, if the damage is not too serious why not get a professional exhaust company to repair it? I'm surprised volvo can't ( or wont try to) get one, did they try the classic warehouse in Sweden? FRF swansea or Keith Price abergavenny will tell you the truth .
Old Sep 6th, 2023, 19:12   #6
ITSv40
VOC Member

The cat on the V40 split a seam last year. Took it off and popped into the local garage where I have the mot's done. Chappie Tig welded the seam and now as good as new.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2023, 10:20   #7
El Padrino

Thank you Clan, Baffler and ITSv40 for your replies. I'll have the CAT assessed to see how bad it is and if it can be welded. I'd rather do that than buy an inferior replacement. I did think about going down the sports CAT route if the Volvo OEM CAT had been discontinued. but I want to keep the car stock.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El Padrino For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 10:48   #8
sdg1970
Master Member

Personally I'd weigh the original cat in (circa £400) before somebody else does it for you. These are highly stealable items and there are a myriad instances on this very forum where owners have been relieved of there's very rapidly...
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sdg1970 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 19:42   #9
aarongs

I had quite a time trying to find a replacement for mine last year.
Between many places advertising the correct [art and then not being able to source or them just being too cheap.
Volvo tried but could not find either.
In the end, the fact the rest of my exhaust was old and the back boxes also starting to split combined with the CAT cost from Skandix and postage, made me decide to just replace the entire exhaust with a stainless one and sports CAT made in same route as the original. So far so good.
Expensive but in the end was less hassle.

If your CAT can be mended, that's the route I would take!
aarongs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aarongs For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 19:45   #10
Baffler
Premier Member

https://www.gcp.se/en_eur/products/8602991

Maybe fire off an email to see if they'll be restocked.

Looks like the genuine CAT is manufactured by MTS Italy.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post: