Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacement wing mirror glass

Views : 556

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2024, 14:51   #1
familymangreg
Premier Member

Default Replacement wing mirror glass

Hi all,

Visiting friends in London this weekend and parked on street, unfortunately had both our wing mirror glasses pinched. There doesn't appear to be any other damage to the internals, other than a mark to the case where they've slid something in to prise it out, hopefully this will polish out. The wires were disconnected not cut.

Its from a MY21 XC90, and the mirrors are heated, auto dimming and have the blind spot lights integrated (I can't remember how many variants there are on MY21).

Our local dealer needs a week to get the new glasses into stock, but we were hoping to get the car back on the road sooner. I have ordered, but was going to look around and see if I can get some sooner.

To cut to the chase, any recommendations for online parts suppliers for genuine Volvo parts?

I seem to recall a Volvo dealer in South Wales who has been mentioned previously for a very good parts department?

TIA
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 15:13   #2
MK09

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Hi all,

Visiting friends in London this weekend and parked on street, unfortunately had both our wing mirror glasses pinched. There doesn't appear to be any other damage to the internals, other than a mark to the case where they've slid something in to prise it out, hopefully this will polish out. The wires were disconnected not cut.

Its from a MY21 XC90, and the mirrors are heated, auto dimming and have the blind spot lights integrated (I can't remember how many variants there are on MY21).

Our local dealer needs a week to get the new glasses into stock, but we were hoping to get the car back on the road sooner. I have ordered, but was going to look around and see if I can get some sooner.

To cut to the chase, any recommendations for online parts suppliers for genuine Volvo parts?

I seem to recall a Volvo dealer in South Wales who has been mentioned previously for a very good parts department?

TIA
I also had both wing mirror glasses stolen on my XC90, unfortunately in my case they cut through the wiring so the repair cost was eye-watering. My supplying dealer is TMS Coventry. They were able, in my case, to have the glasses in stock for the next working day. Cost for the glass was £160 each, but unfortunately I needed 2 whole new mirror units too (which they also got hold of really quickly).

Might be worth giving TMS a call. My experiences with them have always been positive.
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 16:06   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi all,

TIA
FRF Volvo in Swansea. Quote code "C3" for a discount.
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 17:53   #4
wynnj
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
FRF Volvo in Swansea. Quote code "C3" for a discount.
tel 01792 310999. They're my go to first and always found them very helpful and competitively priced
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 19:00   #5
familymangreg
Premier Member

Thanks all.

Tried TMS in Coventry who put me onto their Hinkley branch who did the online/mail order parts who could get them to me by the end of the week, maybe early next week, so not much quicker than my local dealer unfortunately (thanks MK09 and wynnj). Then the message from Kev0607 suggesting FRF in Swansea, who are able to get the parts to me by Wednesday, at a cost of about £150 per glass, compared to about 180 from my local dealer and TMS.

Thanks again for the help, just hope I can get them fitted myself now!

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 19:24   #6
MK09

Quote:
Thanks all.

Tried TMS in Coventry who put me onto their Hinkley branch who did the online/mail order parts who could get them to me by the end of the week, maybe early next week, so not much quicker than my local dealer unfortunately (thanks MK09 and wynnj). Then the message from Kev0607 suggesting FRF in Swansea, who are able to get the parts to me by Wednesday, at a cost of about £150 per glass, compared to about 180 from my local dealer and TMS.

Thanks again for the help, just hope I can get them fitted myself now!

Thanks!
That’s good. Hopefully you can fit them yourself quite easily - TMS weren’t going to charge me any labour for fitting if it was just a case of reattaching new mirrors and clipping them back in as they said it would only take them a couple of minutes. Unfortunately as the wiring had been cut, that wasn’t the case. Good luck.
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 09:12   #7
familymangreg
Premier Member

Hi all,

Fingers crossed, it looks like FRF Volvo in Swansea have come good and Parcel Force are delivering the replacement mirror glasses this afternoon.

I'm hoping to get them fitted as soon as they arrive so my wife can use the car this evening.

I'm hoping they are just going to pop straight in with some obvious lugs, but the only thing I'm not sure of is the wiring.

There are three wires, one with a different plug which I'm guessing is for the blind spot lamp, and two with identical plugs which I'm guessing create the heating circuit? Or is one heating circuit and the other to do with auto dimming? Not sure which way around to connect these identical plugs.

Can anyone give me any tips or point me in the direction of online instructions?

If all else fails, I was going to try and connect them up which ever way looked most obvious and switch on the heated mirrors to see if I could feel any heat build up before clipping in. If it get them the wrong way around, could I cause any issues?

Cheers
Greg
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 11:50   #8
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:

There are three wires, one with a different plug which I'm guessing is for the blind spot lamp, and two with identical plugs which I'm guessing create the heating circuit? Or is one heating circuit and the other to do with auto dimming? Not sure which way around to connect these identical plugs.

Can anyone give me any tips or point me in the direction of online instructions?
It's a long shot but are the wires the same diameter on the plugs? The heating circuit might use a thicker wire as that would carry more current than the dimming and BLIS circuits.
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 14:17   #9
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
It's a long shot but are the wires the same diameter on the plugs? The heating circuit might use a thicker wire as that would carry more current than the dimming and BLIS circuits.
Thanks, will look out for a difference in the wire diameters.
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 15:52   #10
familymangreg
Premier Member

Thanks again for the help all. FRF Swansea was a great recommendation and have come good, not only were they cheeper than my local dealer, and a few other dealers I called around in my area (£291 inc delivery compared to £180+ per mirror), they were the only ones to be able to get them in stock this week. They arrived less than 48 hours after calling.

In terms of fitting, one wire had a different plug so obvious, and the other two, although close together, you could see from the angle and position they hung which way round they needed to be connected. Then just a case of lining up the lugs and pushing on (I angled the mirror all the way in to be able to see easier to lineup). Checked blind spot flash on startup and heating between connecting and pushing on.

The wires are very short and not that easy to access behind the mirror, so very surprised the thieves went to the effort of carefully disconnecting each, rather than snipping.

Cheers
Greg.
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post: