Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone here had a Rover SD1 before?

Views : 9699

Replies : 116

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2011, 19:20   #1
Daim
Brit in Germany

Default Anyone here had a Rover SD1 before?

Hi there!

As you lot seem to be rather British I wanted to quickly ask... I've been looking at a Rver SD1 3500 Vandan Plas (pretty pretty) from 1984 with 3 speed automatic and am interested in hearing what experiences have been made here...

I know this is a Volvo forum, but hey, other mothers have pretty daughters aswell (old German saying ).

A long time ago, around 1987, my parents had a golden SD1 3500 with pretty brown interior and that was a car I kept in my mind. I've been wanting one for a long time, but since then, the world has moved forwards and the SD1s have aged...

Is it worth looking at or even trying one?

Thanks

Damien

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 19:24   #2
gillberry
VOC Member

I have had several , they are lovely comfy cars with decent oomph and that v8 sound is glorious . Rimmer brothers do all the spares so virtually everything is obtainable .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 19:26   #3
gulavelt
I've Been Banned

Great car, especially in in v8 vitesse form, let down by dire build quality, same old story sadly.
gulavelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 19:29   #4
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Yep had 4, a 2000, 2600 and 2x 3.5 V8s, lovely motors, like driving round in your front room, just dont get a baddun, 2600 fell apart on me, but a well cared for one would of had all the gremlins on it sorted by now, I had mine years back when they were banger fodder, would love a twin plenum one today Mmmmm!

Last edited by scr8pdo; May 13th, 2011 at 19:31.
scr8pdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 19:38   #5
GMad
Premier Member

Yes, I've had several of them..
Great cars that were way ahead of thier time.
Nowadays however, it goes without saying you will need to keep an eye out for a well looked after examle! Tin worm was an issue back in the day and build quality wasn't especially brilliant!
Old May 13th, 2011, 19:41   #6
mikealder
VOC Member

Had a 2,600 to start with, the cam siezed at very high speed and totalled the engine, not worth fixing to be honest.

Had a 2,300 next and the cam belt snapped at Sandbach services while on the way to a ski trip in Italy (Thanks to RAC I made it to Gatwick, car cost a bloody fortune to fix though)

Next went for the 3,500 Vitese (Speeling..) great car, one thing I would suggest you do if you get one is remove the intake manifold and clear out any sludge build up in the "Vee" of the engine as this can make a real mess of the internals due to oil starvation to the cam followers.

Build quality was never good and the electrics were great "fun" heavy car with poor fuel ecconomy compared to more modern vehicles but still a very sleek looking car, best one I have seen which is road legal but better observed on a race track is powered by a RR Meteor engine with a capacity of 27,000 (thats not a typo 27 litres and goes at a hell of a pace) - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 20:06   #7
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
Had a 2,600 to start with, the cam siezed at very high speed and totalled the engine, not worth fixing to be honest.

Had a 2,300 next and the cam belt snapped at Sandbach services while on the way to a ski trip in Italy (Thanks to RAC I made it to Gatwick, car cost a bloody fortune to fix though)

Next went for the 3,500 Vitese (Speeling..) great car, one thing I would suggest you do if you get one is remove the intake manifold and clear out any sludge build up in the "Vee" of the engine as this can make a real mess of the internals due to oil starvation to the cam followers.

Build quality was never good and the electrics were great "fun" heavy car with poor fuel ecconomy compared to more modern vehicles but still a very sleek looking car, best one I have seen which is road legal but better observed on a race track is powered by a RR Meteor engine with a capacity of 27,000 (thats not a typo 27 litres and goes at a hell of a pace) - Mike

I seen that 27 litre one, matt black one innit?
Old May 13th, 2011, 20:09   #8
mikealder
VOC Member

Yup, thats the one, it belongs to one of the PPC Mag chaps, the black Rolls Royce will be a hoot though if they get the Jet engine fitted and working - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 20:09   #9
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Not keen on the front bumper on this, there are a couple of cheap 2600 on as well

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1985-ROVER-SD1...ht_1244wt_1139
Old May 13th, 2011, 20:10   #10
Daim
Brit in Germany

Thanks for the tips so far...

It is of course a 3500... Yummy V8... According to the owner, it has a little bit or rust - hey, it's 26 years old - and it is on Porsche rims (http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=180663284545) but it actually looks tidy... I've not been able to have a look, as it is in Berlin...

I've been watching the market for them here, as you don't get many offered (weren't popular) and that is basically a very good price - at least at the moment...

It has a few "faults" but like said, it is 26 years old and the AC still works! Has only done 120.000 km (about 75.000 miles)... It would be a project car, as in anouther 4 years it would be classed as a "classic" car and would get low tax rating etc.

How capable are the rear axles? My dad said he always had problems with the rear axle in his old golden one. He said as well "don't bother getting a 2.6l - they aren't crap, they're sh*t!"

I think it would be the most "usable" classic for the future...

How is the MPG on these things? Is it possible to get the 3.5l V8 with slush box around 20 mpg?

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post: