Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1972 pv1800es

Views : 60970

Replies : 255

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2021, 14:10   #231
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Apparently the tang on the end of Jubilee clips can dig into the outer of the hose and compromise the integrity. To my mind, if the integrity is compromised, the hose is useless to begin with and needs replacing but that's another story as the rubber hose should deform enough to accept a Jubilee clip without a problem.

There's always something to sort on older cars, keeps us busy!
It is hard for me to imagine that a Jubilee clip would do that Dave, but I'll put it on the list of things to look at on Delores. I'm happy that the current set up is safe (which it was not yesterday morning).

Yes, always another challenge on an older car :-)
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 14:53   #232
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
It is hard for me to imagine that a Jubilee clip would do that Dave, but I'll put it on the list of things to look at on Delores. I'm happy that the current set up is safe (which it was not yesterday morning).

Yes, always another challenge on an older car :-)
I can't imagine it either Alan but allegedly it happens, i think the powers that be that stipulate the MoT regs are just wetting their knickers in case one seriously mauled Jubilee clip does do that to a fuel hose and a fire results.

As you say, always challenges on older cars, the radiator and external ATF cooler for the 760 just landed, waiting on some minor parts now to be able to start the fitting project!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 15:32   #233
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
As you say, always challenges on older cars, the radiator and external ATF cooler for the 760 just landed, waiting on some minor parts now to be able to start the fitting project!
... I'm guessing you will be fitting the radiator from a manual plus an aftermarket transmission cooler Dave?

That sounds interesting, I look forward to seeing the words and pictures.

Alan
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 17:55   #234
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... I'm guessing you will be fitting the radiator from a manual plus an aftermarket transmission cooler Dave?

That sounds interesting, I look forward to seeing the words and pictures.

Alan
That's the general plan Alan, radiators for the 760 are now made from unobtainium and only available from unicorn horn and rocking horse manure stockists so i had to find a solution.

Everywhere i'd looked i could only find the "standard" ~400x400 radiator for the 7/9xx models until Luke mentioned there was a heavy duty jobby for certain 940 models that was 600x500 roughly.

The 760 rad is 600x519(?!) so granted the 940 rad is 20mm shorter top to bottom but doesn't have half the end tank taken up by the ATF heat exchanger. I'd guess this makes up for the volume available within the rad and i prefer having a separate ATF cooler as there's no chance of coolant leaking into the gearbox if the heat exchanger springs a leak.

Looks like i owe Luke a big "thank you" for giving me the heads-up on that rad, just got to wait for the little bits to land now and then i can start doing it. Fortunately it's only a mile each way to where Sasha goes walkies and i can use the Rover for shopping etc at the moment so it doesn't have the chance to get hot thankfully.

Hopefully i'll be able to get pics as well as words, got a few tech problems with the PC at the moment so my usual method of uploading photos isn't working, got an idea to try out later so might see some pretty pictures too!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 19:39   #235
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Hopefully i'll be able to get pics as well as words, got a few tech problems with the PC at the moment so my usual method of uploading photos isn't working, got an idea to try out later so might see some pretty pictures too!
Do you use Imgur.com for photo hosting Dave? I find it very good (and it is free).

Alan
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 20:32   #236
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Do you use Imgur.com for photo hosting Dave? I find it very good (and it is free).

Alan
No, postimages Alan, why?

Old Oct 10th, 2021, 05:59   #237
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
No, postimages Alan, why?
... if you are having problems uploading photos, then IMGUR works fine and is free, that is all.

Alan
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 11:33   #238
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... if you are having problems uploading photos, then IMGUR works fine and is free, that is all.

Alan
Ah, i see! I tried Imgur before settling on postimages but that isn't the problem i've got. The problem is getting the photos from my phone to the computer. Recently a bad sector on my HD stopped Ubuntu working and the various fixes i've tried haven't worked, leaving me the only option of reinstaling Ubuntu. That means one of two things, either partitioning my HD again or losing some other documents that i'd find difficult to replace, most of which weren't backed up at the time the sector went bad.
Even if i partitioned my HD again, i'm not sure i'd be able to retrieve those documents.

With Ubuntu i had an app on the PC where i could literally pick my phone up, select the files and send them to the PC, i don't have that on Windoze - yes, i could download a similar app but i've found it slows Windoze to a crawl and doesn't seem particularly stable. Also i don't want to use Windoze longer than i have to as it's so slow. You can see i'm reluctant to put the things in place on Windoze to make it work and i haven't found a solution yet to uploading pics without adding that app to Windoze that makes it even slower.

Using a USB lead isn't an option either as i have a charging adaptor in the phones USB socket that is fiddly to remove and replace and considering i charge the phone more often than uploading photos i don't want to go down that route either.

As you can see, it's not as simple as a third party host for my images but thanks for the suggestion though.

Old Oct 10th, 2021, 11:35   #239
Othen
Premier Member

Default P1800 Rear Hatch Glass

I have noticed that whenever it rains the hatchback gets wet, there is a rubber seal underneath the coffee table rear hatch:

... but that doesn't seem to keep the water out.

The coffee table hatch is completely frameless - I'm wondering whether it should have some sort of seal around it:

At the moment water drains past the glass and into the recess at the bottom - should there perhaps be a drain at the bottom (I can't see one - perhaps it could have been filled over when Delores was redecorated?)?

Does anyone know whether that arrangement looks complete - if it is then maybe the rubber seal needs to be renewed or better sealed (maybe with some silicone?)?

Lots of questions on my part - I hope someone is able to help.

Alan
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 12:01   #240
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I have noticed that whenever it rains the hatchback gets wet, there is a rubber seal underneath the coffee table rear hatch:

... but that doesn't seem to keep the water out.

The coffee table hatch is completely frameless - I'm wondering whether it should have some sort of seal around it:

At the moment water drains past the glass and into the recess at the bottom - should there perhaps be a drain at the bottom (I can't see one - perhaps it could have been filled over when Delores was redecorated?)?

Does anyone know whether that arrangement looks complete - if it is then maybe the rubber seal needs to be renewed or better sealed (maybe with some silicone?)?

Lots of questions on my part - I hope someone is able to help.

Alan
First thing i'd try Alan is removing the seal from the body, soaking it in a strong, hot solution of washing up liquid, cleaning it meticulously (Dan won't mind if you use his toothbrush! ) then dry it thoroughly and rub silicone grease into the seal, let it soak in, wipe off the excess then refit. That may be all it needs to stop the leak but also look further up for the source of the leak, it's not unknown for a leak higher up to run by capilliary action and appear somewhere else.