Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1972 pv1800es

Views : 60921

Replies : 255

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2021, 19:16   #201
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
There's a box in the bottom centre of the page Alan, you move your cursor there, click, delete the existing number and type in the new one followed by "Enter".

No matter, our Canadian friend has furnished the image - thanks for that :

As you can see, pretty much as i described it. Looking at it, i suspect you've either had a replacement pump at some point or someone has broken the coil-clip type bracket and/or screw in it and used an exhaust "U" bracket as an alternative method with the rubber as a precaution against crushing the pump and also to pack the pump diameter out to match the ID of the "U" clamp. The "U" clamp would have been chosen to match the pitch of the bobbins which also may have failed, perhaps due to a fuel leak way back in the mists of time.

The way i see it you have 3 choices, first live with it being a bit more vocal than you'd expect. Second is to measure the ID of the "U" clamp and the OD of the pump, get a piece of neoprene sheet whose thickness is half of the difference between the two sizes and fit that in place of the existing rubber or thirdly, find some bobbin resilient mounts suitable, the correct coil-clip type bracket and putit back as Mr Volvo intended.

My vote would be for the last one.
The U bolt would seem to be non-standard. It is fine for the time being - in the longer term I’ll find a proper bracket.
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 20:33   #202
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I was hoping cassell would tell me whether the current set up looked pukka or not Dave.
Sorry, been away for the weekend Alan, but to answer your question, NO, that is a fabricated method of securing the pump using an exhaust 'Banelli' clamp that someone has done.

There should be a circular steel band type bracket around the pump (a bit like an ignition coil bracket) and that is in turn mounted to the pump position plate with two rubber bobbins.

The rubber packer will be insufficient to damp out any pump vibration and noise.

Methinks you have some simple fabricating to do!

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 20:39   #203
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
Sorry, been away for the weekend Alan, but to answer your question, NO, that is a fabricated method of securing the pump using an exhaust 'Banelli' clamp that someone has done.

There should be a circular steel band type bracket around the pump (a bit like an ignition coil bracket) and that is in turn mounted to the pump position plate with two rubber bobbins.

The rubber packer will be insufficient to damp out any pump vibration and noise.

Paul
Nice to have almost the same words as i used said by someone who actually has experience of the model!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 20:56   #204
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Nice to have almost the same words as i used said by someone who actually has experience of the model!
Great minds think alike Dave!

I suppose in the past even 'bodge' repairs had an air of slight professionalism about them and were done in a way that they would last, hence the robust Banelli exhaust clamp. Nowadays the job would most likely have been done with a couple of plastic 'Zip ties'!!

Without a doubt if Alan replicates the original fixing method, the reduction in noise & vibration will be noticeable.

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 21:20   #205
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Great minds think alike Dave!

I suppose in the past even 'bodge' repairs had an air of slight professionalism about them and were done in a way that they would last, hence the robust Banelli exhaust clamp. Nowadays the job would most likely have been done with a couple of plastic 'Zip ties'!!

Without a doubt if Alan replicates the original fixing method, the reduction in noise & vibration will be noticeable.

Paul
As bodges go Paul it's one of the better ones i've seen! One of the worst was the spaceship bushes on my 760 packed out with an assortment of washers (not even the same washers both sides!) but only on the front of the tie rods, pushing the control arm backwards making it toe out like Charlie Chaplin!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 21:39   #206
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Paul
Quote:
Many thanks Paul and Dave,

I'm pleased we got to the root of this. I'm pretty sure the noisy fuel pump is as a result of the bodge - but as that may have been in place for 20 years there is no particular rush to fix it.

Now that I know what the solution looks like it should not be too difficult to fabricate something very similar and mount it on some Mini exhaust bobbins.

This little mini-thread again shows the value of this forum: as has happened with the RB thread many times, I have gone from a standing start to solving the problem in a day or so.

:-) Alan
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 22:56   #207
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

I'm pleased we got to the root of this. I'm pretty sure the noisy fuel pump is as a result of the bodge - but as that may have been in place for 20 years there is no particular rush to fix it.

Now that I know what the solution looks like it should not be too difficult to fabricate something very similar and mount it on some Mini exhaust bobbins.

This little mini-thread again shows the value of this forum: as has happened with the RB thread many times, I have gone from a standing start to solving the problem in a day or so.

Just a thought Alan - do you happen to have a spare coil with its bracket attached floating around anywhere? Might save you a bit of fab time if so! Also :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174791837353

Not the cheapest on fleabay but comes with two nuts (confirmed in the listing) and gives sizes in the listing too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 04:25   #208
c1800
Master Member

Quote:

Hi Alan, the correct bobbins are available, second item down on this page.

https://classicvolvoparts.co.uk/part...Fuel_Injection

The correct mounting plate steel, is not too complicated. I don’t know if you have any Classic Volvo parts recyclers on your side on the pond, but if you do I would think they could provide one, as it’s not really a “wear” part, same for the clamp around the pump itself. Maybe Simon at Brookhouse can help with those.

Thinking that the current clamp you have, probably hasn’t done any favours to the pump itself. Possibly crimped and contributing to the noise.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 05:16   #209
c1800
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1800 View Post

The correct mounting plate steel, is not too complicated.
Upon a review of the pictures, it appears you do have the mounting plate as original. (Possibly an opportunity for disassembly, cleaning up and a quick spray). So a proper clamp and bobbins will likely do the trick.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 07:00   #210
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Just a thought Alan - do you happen to have a spare coil with its bracket attached floating around anywhere? Might save you a bit of fab time if so! Also :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174791837353

Not the cheapest on fleabay but comes with two nuts (confirmed in the listing) and gives sizes in the listing too.
That is exactly what I was thinking Dave - I have a spare coil with its bracket in my spares box (like everyone does) - I had a look at it last eve and thought it might just fit (Delores isn't here at the mo).

There are any number of fuel pump brackets available on the internet, such as this one (just an example):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133138596...Cclp%3A2047675

I think it is just a case of measuring up with the callipers to find one that will fit.

I can feel a neat and tidy solution for almost no cost developing :-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jun 7th, 2021 at 07:09.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: