Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1972 pv1800es

Views : 60914

Replies : 255

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2021, 13:44   #171
Othen
Premier Member

Default Happiness is: A working speedometer

A disclaimer: none of that which follows involved any original thought by me; the credit is entirely due to powen1 ... I am indebted to Paul.

Regular readers will know the speedometer was not working on Delores (and I think probably had not functioned for a decade). I'd already identified that the dinky little bit of Bowden cable that goes from the OD to the right angle drive was severed, and asked 'Janet' to order another.

It being a nice day, and me having nothing better to do apart from ride motorbikes around, I thought I'd check to see if the rest of the system worked (that is the cable and the instrument). I attached a battery powered drill to the drive end of the speedo cable and gradually gave it some revs (in reverse as it turns out - 50:50 chance) and the speedo showed a reading, so I knew only the dinky bit of Bowden cable was broken. Roger so far?

The next bit was to remove the right angle drive completely, undo one cable guide from the floor under the driver's feet and re-route the speedo cable over the gearbox support bracket to get enough slack:

... then plug the speedo cable directly into the OD (same fitment) - and cable tie it away from the middle silencer:

Voila! The speedo works perfectly!

I would not be happy with this as a long term fix because the Bowden cable runs quite close to the middle exhaust box (within about an inch), but it will certainly do for a short time until the dinky bit of Bowden cable arrives.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; May 31st, 2021 at 14:40. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2021, 13:50   #172
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Excellent work Alan! Fingers crossed for the angle drive not being broken/siezed and if all is well, you should have a working speedo in Delores with all the right bits in place.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2021, 13:55   #173
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Excellent work Alan! Fingers crossed for the angle drive not being broken/siezed and if all is well, you should have a working speedo in Delores with all the right bits in place.
Many thanks Dave. I’ve tested the right angle drive with a screwdriver in one end - the other spins quite nicely :-)

We’re cooking on gas!
Old May 31st, 2021, 15:39   #174
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Many thanks Dave. I’ve tested the right angle drive with a screwdriver in one end - the other spins quite nicely :-)

We’re cooking on gas!
Wish i was making such good progress! Been trying for some time now to sort a cap for the reservoir on my my other beast to bleed the brakes and renew the fluid.
After making a bespoke bracket for the Gunsons multipurpose cap only to find the cap fouled the bulkhead and then reverting to an old OE cap that i had previously butchered but not got anywhere with, i first tried Araldite to secure a washer i had modified to the exact size.

The Araldite didn't stick to the inside of the cap.

After an accident with a lurking tube of RTV sealant an idea struck me (shortly after the first splatter of RTV!) and so i quickly formed an idea. It's curing now and will hopefully do the job!

If not, a bespoke aluminium cap will be created and held in place by the bespoke bracket.

Wish me luck!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 31st, 2021, 15:55   #175
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Wish i was making such good progress! Been trying for some time now to sort a cap for the reservoir on my my other beast to bleed the brakes and renew the fluid.
After making a bespoke bracket for the Gunsons multipurpose cap only to find the cap fouled the bulkhead and then reverting to an old OE cap that i had previously butchered but not got anywhere with, i first tried Araldite to secure a washer i had modified to the exact size.

The Araldite didn't stick to the inside of the cap.

After an accident with a lurking tube of RTV sealant an idea struck me (shortly after the first splatter of RTV!) and so i quickly formed an idea. It's curing now and will hopefully do the job!

If not, a bespoke aluminium cap will be created and held in place by the bespoke bracket.

Wish me luck!
I'm guessing that is for the Rover Dave? I suppose you have exhausted the usual outlets like car scrappers?

Anyway, good fortune with that one. I'm really satisfied with Delores Rocket, it is a very sound car that just needed a bit of TLC. Once the spares arrive and I've fitted them, I think 'Janet' should be able to handle the rest. I like the motor car, if I didn't have the RB I'd be quite covetous!
Old May 31st, 2021, 16:19   #176
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'm guessing that is for the Rover Dave? I suppose you have exhausted the usual outlets like car scrappers?

Anyway, good fortune with that one. I'm really satisfied with Delores Rocket, it is a very sound car that just needed a bit of TLC. Once the spares arrive and I've fitted them, I think 'Janet' should be able to handle the rest. I like the motor car, if I didn't have the RB I'd be quite covetous!
It is Alan - the problem is getting a cap to seal so i can use the Eezibleed on it. I have a spare cap in the shed but it's a good one and although i've not had it myself, they have a reputation for failing which brings a warning light on falsely - or sometimes doesn't when you are about to run out of fluid!

I'll see what happens with the accidental RTV bodge, theory says it should work but theory also said Araldite would glue that washer to the inside of the cap so i'll have to wait and see tomorrow!

As for scrappers, they don't like selling just the caps (they want to sell the master cylinder, reservoir and cap all together) and most of them can't tell the difference between an ABS master cylinder and a non-ABS one so are generally best avoided.

Old May 31st, 2021, 16:33   #177
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

The P1800ES is undoubtedly a very pretty car, Alan, and, with overdrive, it is quite long-legged. Do not be seduced however. While it may be a consummate grand tourer, a sports car it is not. I feel it would have benefitted from a larger motor, the four-pot from the 145E would have been an obvious choice, or, if it would fit, the 'six' from the contemporary 164E. Now that would have been a car with real performance, rivalling a Reliant Scimitar with it's Ford 3-litre lump.

Anyhoo, thou shalt not covert thy neighbour's Volvo ...

Regards, John.
Old May 31st, 2021, 17:42   #178
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
The P1800ES is undoubtedly a very pretty car, Alan, and, with overdrive, it is quite long-legged. Do not be seduced however. While it may be a consummate grand tourer, a sports car it is not. I feel it would have benefitted from a larger motor, the four-pot from the 145E would have been an obvious choice, or, if it would fit, the 'six' from the contemporary 164E. Now that would have been a car with real performance, rivalling a Reliant Scimitar with it's Ford 3-litre lump.

Regards, John.
I would agree with you there John, it is a bit of a cooking motor car under the skin. Delores does have disc brakes and servo assistance, but other than that is just a plain girl in a party frock.

:-)
Old May 31st, 2021, 19:38   #179
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

Regards, John.
I believe Volvo themselves offered the B20E John and even more sure many owners have converted to B20E spec.

Not sure if the B30E from the 164E would fit but how about a 2.5L four-pot, DOHC engine built by Aston Martin?

https://www.motorward.com/2011/09/as...d-volvo-p1800/

First done 60 years ago so would have been quite an animal in its day and would at least be period true, unlike the obvious choice of a B230FT for todays restomod solution for more power.

If memory serves, the P1800E was considered pretty lively in its time, these days probably sluggish in comparison to modern machinery but nobody can deny those timeless looks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2021, 20:35   #180
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Our first Volvo, a 12 y o 145E, was no slouch and that engine would certainly imbue the lighter P1800ES with a useful performance increase. I was unaware that Volvo offered the 2.0 motor in the P1800ES; was it an extra cost option in period? I don't think there was ever a P2000ES listed, and would Volvo understate their capacity? One of the few manufacturers to do this to my knowledge was Morris, later Minor 1000s having1098 cc engines. But then, they already had the Morris 1100!

The B30E was my wishfull thinking; the 164 had a much longer nose than the 144, and it is unlikely that the reengineering required on the much lower volume P1800ES would have been economical. One of the reasons that Volvo went over to a V6 for the larger engined variants of 2 series cars, rather than the straight six of earlier cars.

I was also unaware of the Aston conversion; that sounds like a very useful improvement!

Regards, John.