Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Balancing caravan brakes - driving me slightly insane.

Views : 4054

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 10:43   #1
FullEnglish

Default Balancing caravan brakes - driving me slightly insane.

Hi all,

Van is a Sprite Alpine 1964.

I took the brakes apart, derusted, checked the springs, shoes etc, and reassembled them as all the parts were good. Balancing them took ages, as they were fine until I activated the brakes a few times, whereupon they were out of balance again and I had to start over. I finally got them right, took the caravan for a test run of a few miles, and found out that one brake drum was really hot and was dragging. Balanced them *again* (last night), took the caravan to be inspected (like an MOT) only to have it fail on brakes - out of balance. One side now has twice the effect of the other side.

Does anyone have any idea how to go about adjusting the brakes so that they STAY correctly adjusted?

All ideas greatly appreciated!

Cheers.
FullEnglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 14:37   #2
FullEnglish

The rain stopped. Finally. Briefly.

Jacked the van up, and the brakes are indeed still balanced.

The inspection showed that one side has half of the braking effect of the other side. The brake shoes were whole, undamaged and had plenty of meat left when I inspected them, but I'm supposing one side must be glazed/contaminated.

Is it possible to get away with sanding down the pads and cleaning the inside of the drum? Although they are at least 20 years old, and possibly original to the van (1964) so could well be asbestos.

I'd change all four of them for the sake of it, but finding new ones can't be the easiest thing in the world.

As you might have guessed, I know naff all about drum brakes...
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 15:17   #3
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

is this off any help.
http://uk-trailer-parts.co.uk/adjusting-knott-brakes
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 16:19   #4
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Abrasives

Back when I was a Morris Minor man we regularly used to sandpaper off glazed shoes, and clean them off with petrol too if they had been contaminated with grease. We were bold in those days!
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rogerthechorister For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 18:55   #5
FullEnglish

Mike; my system is older than the ones described in your link, but thanks for posting, I appreciate it.

The rain stopped again (it's actually a beautiful summers evening now) so I took the "bad" side apart. As I suspected, it was beautifully glazed. I decided I was probably immune asbestos dust due to the protective properties of caffeine and nicotine and filed the surfaces until they were nicely, er, deglazed.

I then took the "good" side apart, to do the same thing so I had shoes that were in the same condition on both sides. The "good" side was also quite glazed. So I don't know if my braking imbalance will remain, albeit with more braking effect over all. Trouble is, I don't have a brake testing machine (although I do have a cunning idea to make one).

Of course, if I'd known anything about drum brakes I'd have spotted the glazing first time round. One learns. Sigh.

I've reassembled everything and now even with the adjuster slackened right off, the brakes are dragging a lot. I suspect I need to drive over some potholes to allow everything so settle into its proper place and then adjust again.

rogerthechorister, I actually used your petrol trick as I couldn't be bothered to drive into the village and buy brake cleaner.

Of course, if all else fails, I'll just add a smear of grease to the "good" side. What could possibly go wrong?
The Following User Says Thank You to FullEnglish For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 20:11   #6
BugEyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullEnglish View Post
Of course, if all else fails, I'll just add a smear of grease to the "good" side. What could possibly go wrong?
Nothing!

Coming from the other era of technology (20's and 30's drum brakes) I'd also check whether the drums are dished. Most drums are pressed from flat sheet and when heated (dragging brake for example) they start reverting to flat. Then the inside of the brake shoe is all that is engaged and hence efficiency drops off dramatically. The only solution is to skim the drums or replace them.

Most van shoes are from car parts so can be replaced cheaply.

Good luck.

Duncan

BugEyed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BugEyed For This Useful Post: