Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alarm problems - won't stop

Views : 627

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2017, 11:25   #1
wgb

Angry Alarm problems - won't stop

Hi,
I've had a message 'Alarm System Service Required' go off on my 2004 S60. Now there is a low-volume buzz coming from the front right side of the car - it's not the loud alarm proper, just a low buzzing sound that's just loud enough to annoy anyone within 200 feet of the car. The only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery. The alarm itself no longer works - when I lock the doors with the key fob there is no 'beep'.

I've removed a fuse that was recommended on another forum to no avail. I'd like to get an opinion here before taking the car to the shop and having to pay another $1000 for repairs (the standard price for anything on this car since it has 197K miles). Also, is a 2008 model S60 siginificantly different than a 2004? There are many features of this car I really like but as I'm not mechanically inclined the maintenance costs are becoming prohibitive.

Thanks in advance!
wgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 12:26   #2
Simon Jones
Premier Member

It sounds like the alarm siren is finally dying. If you've removed the correct fuse, it will eventually shut up once the built in battery is flat. The cheapest solution is to pull back the plastic inner wheel arch liner, access the alarm & unplug the connector. You can do this yourself with basic tools, but if you're going to pay someone else, it would probably an hours labour charge. This will leave you with the Alarm Service Required message until such point as a working replacement siren is fitted.

Worth informing your insurer that your alarm is not functioning just in case you ever need to claim for a break-in.

2008 S60 would be a P3 model which is completely different to a 2004 P2 model. It's more Ford than Volvo but still a great car.

Last edited by Simon Jones; Mar 9th, 2017 at 12:30.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 16:14   #3
wgb

Smile P3 vs. P2 model?

"2008 S60 would be a P3 model which is completely different to a 2004 P2 model. It's more Ford than Volvo but still a great car."

Thanks for the quick reply. What's the difference between P2 and P3 models? And is 'more of a Ford' a bad thing? If so, why? If it's more of a Ford shouldn't I just buy a Mercury for a lot less money (I don't want to - just a rhetorical question)
wgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 16:53   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
2008 S60 would be a P3 model which is completely different to a 2004 P2 model.
It isn't.
A 2008 S60 is still a P2 so in many ways the same as a 2004.

The newer shape S60 wasn't until 2010 and even then isn't a P3 platform as it's a variation on the V60 and XC60.
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 23:33   #5
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Yeah, you've got a point. P2 was 2000 - 2009 for S60 whereas it's 2000 - 2007 for V/XC70. Ignore my previous reply unless you were thinking about getting a 2008 V/XC70
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm battery, alarm service required, alarm siren, electrical