Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'Lucky' - Volvo Amazon 133

Views : 4497

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2013, 15:37   #1
ClassicCarMan

Default 'Lucky' - Volvo Amazon 133

Progress so far. Since getting the old girl to the Isle of Man. I have had the engine taken out by Auto Logic and the engine is with Motivation, who called on Thursday with the list of engine parts required. 'Luckily' it does not need a rebore but my wallet is now much lighter having ordered all the parts from Skandix in Germany. They had everything in stock but the pistons. I have not ordered anything from them before but they are cheaper than others and as as a result I have been able to order more things not on the 'list' including a steel gears timing kit 'with the savings'. I am doing this as I have heard of the fibre gears breaking up due to age and I don't want this happening to me.

Sorry but the wide wheels must go. I cannot drive the car with them on, it reminds me of a monster truck. Parking is frankly awful, ride is awful, and I cannot 'feel' the car at all. For work everyday I park in a multi-story car park and all day parking starts on level 4... I ordered new standard tyres from Tyre Traders, as there are none to be had on the Island and they arrived on Friday - Nankang 165/80R15. They look good so we shall see.

Next job for me is getting the wheels cleaned up and painted silver as they are currently Black and then getting the new tyres on, balanced, fitted, and tracking sorted while I await the engine. Once the engine is back in then I think it will be counting the cost of the garage bills and Christmas, and into next year before I can afford spending more on her, an M.O.T. and registering the car on the Island. But that is another story...
ClassicCarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ClassicCarMan For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 15:42   #2
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Thank You ClassicCarMan for the update and glad the car is in safe hands keep us posted with progress and lots of photos as you know we love seeing photos of these awsome cars !

merry xmas and may she bring you plenty of happy years motoring in the not so distant future

Regards
Robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 19:51   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Glad to see 777 is getting some love.

I have known the car for around 18 years on and off and been asked to buy her 4 times at least.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 21:05   #4
ClassicCarMan

Default Thank you for your messages

Thank you very much 1800NecWinner, for your comments. I wish you a very Happy Christmas too. I will take some pictures and post them when I get chance but it might be a while as the car is 15 miles away from where I live and I can only visit it on Saturday mornings. I am also busy at work just now and have been asked to work several Saturdays this month - might help pay the bills though...

Your right ClassicSwede re the love, she certainly needs it, both exterior, rust and interior (missing head restraints, missing rubber floor matting, seat covers need replacing) all money, money. Top priority after engine, and wheels, is the leaking windscreen and what lurks behind the windscreen rubber once removed. Saving up for that whilst at the same time replacing the dashboard top as imagine it easier with the windscreen out but getting a RHD non 123 dash top is not going to be cheap or easy. One secondhand on Ebay ending soon but it depend on what it goes for. She is my new mistress and one expensive lady.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ClassicCarMan For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 21:23   #5
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCarMan View Post
Thank you very much 1800NecWinner, for your comments. I wish you a very Happy Christmas too. I will take some pictures and post them when I get chance but it might be a while as the car is 15 miles away from where I live and I can only visit it on Saturday mornings. I am also busy at work just now and have been asked to work several Saturdays this month - might help pay the bills though...

Your right ClassicSwede re the love, she certainly needs it, both exterior, rust and interior (missing head restraints, missing rubber floor matting, seat covers need replacing) all money, money. Top priority after engine, and wheels, is the leaking windscreen and what lurks behind the windscreen rubber once removed. Saving up for that whilst at the same time replacing the dashboard top as imagine it easier with the windscreen out but getting a RHD non 123 dash top is not going to be cheap or easy. One secondhand on Ebay ending soon but it depend on what it goes for. She is my new mistress and one expensive lady.
hi ya

if you get stuck for a good non 123GT dash i have four ( old style that dont crack ) good secondhand ones in stock and as you are doing such a good job on the car and a labour of love i will let you have one cheaper than what they sell on ebay plus shipping cost if that helps just give me a nudge if & when needed

kind regards

robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 21:42   #6
Amma122s

Old cars do tend to soak up a lot of cash but if it's not an only car and you don't have to depend on it then take your time
Amma122s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 22:33   #7
ClassicCarMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amma122s View Post
Old cars do tend to soak up a lot of cash but if it's not an only car and you don't have to depend on it then take your time
Yes very true but, unfortunately, I cannot afford really to keep two cars running, especially as the 'modern car' will need work next year. I expect it will take several years to get everything sorted especially interior and exterior wise but I would like to get it at least road worthy and wind and water tight. We have our own government here. As a UK car I have 6 months to get the car registered with the Isle of Man authorities, otherwise you can be fined by the Police if stopped by them without one, same with your driving licence (I had to apply for a Manx Driving Licence when I moved here), to get the car registered and, therefore, issued with Isle of Man number plates (which is mandatory for all IOM residents), it needs to pass a stringent M.O.T. on the Isle of Man. UK tax runs out end March 2014, so then it would be illegal to drive the car in the UK or Isle of Man, so my plan is to have it MOT'ed, registered, etc by then. As come April 2014 my modern car will need the insurance, road tax, etc, renewing! That is the plan but....

Thank you very much Robert for your offer on a decent dashtop. I will keep you in mind as I will need one, but it will be next year before I can take you up on it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClassicCarMan For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 22:05   #8
ClassicCarMan

Default Nuts!

Engine has been fully rebuilt now. Spent two hours on Christmas Eve painting it but one of the cylinder head bolts is damaged, so I have one on order along with new hoses, (one of original hoses was garden hose!) sparkers, distrib cap, HT leads and rotor arm, but I am unsure when it will arrive, ordered on 19th December but with Christmas and the ferry getting cancelled 4 times in the past few weeks has not helped matters me thinks.

I have been cleaning various parts which were covered in oil, washer bottle, expansion bottle, starter motor, etc. I found that I am missing two wheel nuts so I have ordered these, but they might not arrive in time with the garage picking up the engine early next week to fit it back to the car, so I may need to get the wide wheels removed and the original wheels with the new tyres fitted at a later date.

I have today been cleaning up the original wheels using a drill with a wire wheel. I intend then to use rust coverter on them, some high zinc content paint, topped off with silver paint. Fronts are quite good just take off the gloss and paint silver, but we shall see. New clutch is with garage to replace existing when engine is put back in and I have flushed out the radiator, so we are getting there - slowly. So my mantra currently is 'expect the unexpected and stay lucky'.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ClassicCarMan For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2013, 10:33   #9
Bladerider
Amazoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCarMan View Post
one of the cylinder head bolts is damaged, so I have one on order along with new hoses,
Would recommend replacing all bolts at the same time as old ones stretch and degrade with age. If one has gone the others may be "soft" so to speak, and break on torqueing up, can be a load of hassle and expense to sort out.
Old Dec 29th, 2013, 20:26   #10
ClassicCarMan

Default Re Cylinder Head Bolt

Thank you for your advice but the reason I have been advised to replace this one bolt is that someone drilled out one of the bolts above this and went straight through drilling into the cylinder head bolt as well...

Tags
133, lucky, volvo amazon