Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

strange noises and turbo lag

Views : 1212

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 13:15   #1
JamboV

Default strange noises and turbo lag

Hello all
i'm new the wonderful world of volvo having recently purchased a 2000 V70 D5. (It is the 96-00 model.) I'm really pleased with it in general, but something doesnt seem right with the engine to me.

background.... 135k miles, fully serviced, returns about 40 - 45mpg. It feels gutless to me... with absolutely no power below 2300rpm. At about 2500rpm the turbo seems to really cut in. At this point i can hear a fairly load ticking noise. The noise is only detectable when the turbo comes in, and it sounds a similar to a blowing exhaust manifold in that the ticking sound is engine speed related and not turbo speed related.

I have had a good look and all the hoses seem to be connected to the turbo. If I squeeze the hose going into the inlet manifold and get someone to press hte throttle i can feel the turbo pressuring it up. i did notice some oil in this pipe, and in the bottom hose going into the intercooler. (I'm hoping this is just from a breather??)

I dont see a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust. just the usual .... if i boot it after gentle town driving i get a dark puff. but i have noticed when i first start it some a small amount of smoke and i think it is blue :-( The engine management light has not come on. Now I dont know what else to check or do. I wondering if there is a wastegate valve sticking, or it my turbo has given up. Anyone got any ideas, recommeded checks, or reading? I love the car, i just want it working properly now!

James
JamboV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 13:37   #2
Trickydicky

James

I wish I was making this post to help you out, but in fact I have an almost identical problem - same engine, 1999 V70 2.5D - I don't have the noises, but I am sure that the engine should be making more power than it does.
My mechanic friend reckoned I should look for a sticking wastgate as the turbo might be blowing, but some of the gas pressure it produces is being leaked away and not turned into air pressure into the intake. I'm going to look for that, and also in another thread I've read about possible leaking pipes connecting the turbo to the intake box or a faulty ECU which meters the intake air and feeds back (possibly false) messages to the turbo affecting the boost.
So I'm starting on the same journey as you and I'm going to take out my new air filter and recheck everything around the airbox, look for a possible wastegate lever on the outside of the turbo which I can move to see if it is working. then the pipes to/from the turbo and finally the ECU.
However, if anyone out there is reading this and can point to a specific solution then James and myself would be very grateful.
Trickydicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 13:15   #3
JamboV

Sorry to hear you've got similar problems too TrickyD.
I got fed up will my new car being a lazy slob, so i booked it in to volvo, butin the end I wasn't happy paying £80/h as having spoken to an engineer i wasnt filled with confidence that i would be getting value for money.

I decided to gamble and I ordered a new MAF sensor from GSF. (£143+vat). Fitted it on friday, and the difference is incredible. So much more power - It loses traction in 3rd gear in these slippy conditions!

so now i have full power, but i stick have a bit of a ticky sound. I've been wondering if as the cam belt hasn't been changed for 60k miles, my timing could be slightly out if the belt has stretched!?

so yet another MAF problem now solved! good luck TrickyD with your prob.
JamboV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 16:55   #4
zx6rman_uk
S60 D5 Owner

Not going to help at all but I have exactly the same symptoms.

Any updates at all on the culprit?

Regrads
zx6rman_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 13:15   #5
Martin Cox
VOC Member

The vacuum pump for the brake servo is a common contender for making odd ticking noises on these engines. Might be worth a listen around that area of the engine

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 23:34   #6
bvs
Blue TD

Hi
On a non volvo diesel engine,after head gasket replacement,I also had odd 'induction' and 'ticking' noise and lack of power.When I checked the 'rigging' of the cambelt...sure enough the cam sprocket was one tooth out,I went through the proper setting procedure and ..voila!! quiet engine !! judging by the 2 different paint marks on the sprockets,garages may not set the cambelts properly but do a quick mark for reassembly.
Not saying that this is your problem,but worth a few hours investigation.

regards baz
bvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 08:02   #7
zx6rman_uk
S60 D5 Owner

Hi BVS.

I did have the cam belt change quite sometime ago. The noise didnt start then it was sometime later.

Anyhow, I've bought of Ebay a turbo so hopefully that will fix the problem and at £60 its got to be worth a shot.
zx6rman_uk is offline   Reply With Quote