Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Shall I or shall I Not

Views : 1984

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2024, 18:44   #1
rmvm

Default Shall I or shall I Not

I have at present a 2021 V90 Cross Country Mild Hybrid B5 with 28,000 miles on the clock and the car will soon be out of its 3 year warranty period.

I have enjoyed the car and it is faultless but i always preferred a higher driving position. I now have the opportunity to buy a 2021 XC60 Inscription plus B5 mild hybrid with 23,000 miles on the clock, the deal is from a main dealer and includes a two year warranty and two free services.

it will cost me to change to the XC60. My question is will this be a good move is the XC superior to the V90, the dealer explained that the Cross country and indeed all estates will be phased out and the values are starting to drop now.

Any observations and comments will be welcome I am in a pickle at which way to go
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 21:53   #2
Kugaman1

Well, I cant see the fact that the estates have been phased out would lower their values, thats just dealer BS. If anything, a good one will keep a really good value when theres no more being made. They are cars that keep in high demand as they are great long distance cruisers and epic load luggers.

The XC60 is a great car. Ive got a b5 r design pro and the air suspension is superb, especially when towing.

I guess its down to cost to change? I wouldn't want to be adding much to get into the xc60.

A good idea is to go to webuyanycar or arnold clark etc and put in your car details to see what they would give you for it. Then do the same again but with the xc60 details. See what each car is worth to the trade and the price difference between them. Add on a few extra quid for the new cars warranty/service pack ( say £1000) and theres a good indication of what you should be looking at to change.

Doing this is a real eye opener. Ive known lots of people in a similar situation to you and they've traded in, paid a couple of Grand and driven away in a car that was ultimately worth less than the car they had traded in!!
Dealers are robbing gits….often selling a £30k car for £5k or more above its trade value….

Be careful and use your head!

Last edited by Kugaman1; Jan 17th, 2024 at 21:56.
Kugaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kugaman1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 10:23   #3
Automatic Only

I guess a lot of it depends on what is most important to you. I went from an XC60 to a Skoda Superb and whilst I do miss the performance and higher driving position the Skoda is on a different planet in terms of practicality (i.e. boot space, rear legroom etc).
Which makes it a lot better suited to my current needs.
Automatic Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 10:59   #4
rmvm

Thank you Kugaman1 great advice and makes sense. I will try your suggestion. The dealer is asking £11000 to swap...to me it seems a lot, hence why I asked for people's thoughts and comments. Thanks again. Roy
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 07:40   #5
Kugaman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmvm View Post
Thank you Kugaman1 great advice and makes sense. I will try your suggestion. The dealer is asking £11000 to swap...to me it seems a lot, hence why I asked for people's thoughts and comments. Thanks again. Roy
Wow! £11k to swap?? Thats ridiculous!

If you tried as I mentioned above, I will bet theres not more than £5k trade value between the cars.

So would you want to drive in, pay £11000 and drive out with a car thats actually only worth £5k more than the one you drove in? So thats £6k down the drain before you even think about depreciation!

£11k is utterly bonkers!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kugaman1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 09:36   #6
sk546
Master Member

£11k seems far too much for that swap unless your V90 is a base spec momentum (you didn't actually mention what model spec your current V90 is, just the XC60 you are looking into being an Inscription).

That sounds to me like the dealership is trying it on as they probably have a customer looking for the car you currently have and can see a nice profit in it.
If you are thinking of doing the swap, try selling your current car on the likes of Carwow or Motorway, when I swapped to my current XC60, I ended up selling my previous XC60 on Carwow to a Volvo Dealership in Birmingham who came and collected it, zero hassle. They paid £5k more than the Volvo dealership I ordered my current XC60 from offered in part exchange so it was a win-win all round.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 10:13   #7
Kugaman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
£11k seems far too much for that swap unless your V90 is a base spec momentum (you didn't actually mention what model spec your current V90 is, just the XC60 you are looking into being an Inscription).
His is a cross country. They only did plus or pro as spec levels I think.

The cheapest 21 plate v90cc on autotrader with similar miles is £33k.
The cheapest 21 (71) plate xc60 (with only 12000 miles) is £37k…..

So as I say, £11k to change is utterly bonkers.

Even allowing for extra warranty, service pack, valeting, etc…..theres no way I would want to pay any more than £6k to change.

Last edited by Kugaman1; Jan 19th, 2024 at 10:22.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kugaman1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 11:54   #8
James77

There's still a thriving market for Volvo estate I was considering one before they were pulled. Well maintained cars wont reduce the exclusivity will keep prices stable much like many prefer the Disco 4 to the 5 and folks love a leggy Volvo. You know if boot was on other foot you'd be paying a premium from the dealer to get into that club.

Presume such cars were pulled because of the idiotic move to focus on EV platforms which is bound to fail. That's beside the point.

Easy question is, is it worth 11k for a higher riding position sensible answer is no. Dealer wants your car as she/he can shift it easily at a tidy profit.

If you want to change bid them hard and walk away if you don't get the deal you want.

11k is silly money.
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 13:37   #9
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmvm View Post
I have at present a 2021 V90 Cross Country Mild Hybrid B5 with 28,000 miles on the clock and the car will soon be out of its 3 year warranty period.

I have enjoyed the car and it is faultless but i always preferred a higher driving position. I now have the opportunity to buy a 2021 XC60 Inscription plus B5 mild hybrid with 23,000 miles on the clock, the deal is from a main dealer and includes a two year warranty and two free services.

it will cost me to change to the XC60. My question is will this be a good move is the XC superior to the V90, the dealer explained that the Cross country and indeed all estates will be phased out and the values are starting to drop now.

Any observations and comments will be welcome I am in a pickle at which way to go
11k to swap seems very high to me.

The XC60 isn't any newer, its still a 21 plate, but it has 5,000 miles less. In my opinion, it doesn't warrant 11k to change.

Leg room won't be as good in the XC either, your V90 has more. Although the V90 is lower, its still a bigger car. The only difference is the height you'll be able to stack stuff and the driving position, but the XC60 isn't as big as you might think.

I don't think the XC60 is comparable to the V90. You're driving an estate version of Volvo's flagship model... the XC60 isn't in that league. The XC90 and V90 may be more comparable, but its comparing an estate to an SUV all the same.
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 14:54   #10
James77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
11k to swap seems very high to me.

The XC60 isn't any newer, its still a 21 plate, but it has 5,000 miles less. In my opinion, it doesn't warrant 11k to change.

Leg room won't be as good in the XC either, your V90 has more. Although the V90 is lower, its still a bigger car. The only difference is the height you'll be able to stack stuff and the driving position, but the XC60 isn't as big as you might think.

I don't think the XC60 is comparable to the V90. You're driving an estate version of Volvo's flagship model... the XC60 isn't in that league. The XC90 and V90 may be more comparable, but its comparing an estate to an SUV all the same.
Agree with some of this. However, to xc60 not in the same league is nonsense. V90 maybe flagship model on paper but were very heavily discounted as they couldn't shift them they are less desirable and exactly the sane car in terms of tech but on a larger lower platform.

Agree its madness to change the loss in load capacity and rear legroom will be noticeable that said there is loads of room the the back of an xc60 for adults the main loss is load depth but gain load height.

I'm my view flagship is the xc90.