Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuelpipe inner flap frozen

Views : 3924

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 16:13   #11
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

Just filled by XC60 with petrol to find water sitting in the top of the filler pipe which I hope the flap is preventing draining into the tank but possibly not? As suggested in the post in my case water is getting past the filler flap and some of it landing on the pipe opening!

Find it odd that there is no rubber strip to seal against the inside so not sure how best to stop it. Perhaps finding a cap I can put over the filler pipe??

Does anyone know where we can find the service bulletins - perhaps there is one for fuel filler flap and water ingress?
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 16:40   #12
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJSDriver View Post
Just filled by XC60 with petrol to find water sitting in the top of the filler pipe which I hope the flap is preventing draining into the tank but possibly not? As suggested in the post in my case water is getting past the filler flap and some of it landing on the pipe opening!

Find it odd that there is no rubber strip to seal against the inside so not sure how best to stop it. Perhaps finding a cap I can put over the filler pipe??

Does anyone know where we can find the service bulletins - perhaps there is one for fuel filler flap and water ingress?
There is a drain hole inside the filling point cover, (inside the body cover) a small hole near the hinge, yours will be blocked, run a thin flexible rod down it to clear the debris, it will most likely be just something covering drain hole.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Aug 22nd, 2021 at 16:42.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 17:10   #13
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
There is a drain hole inside the filling point cover, (inside the body cover) a small hole near the hinge, yours will be blocked, run a thin flexible rod down it to clear the debris, it will most likely be just something covering drain hole.
Strange to be discussing this in mid August

In my case the issue wasn't with the drain tube it was with snow falling onto the filler cap itself and collecting in the slight depression between the flap that actually opens and the metal surrounding it. Now whenever I refuel with snow around I grab a tissue as I get out of the car.
Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 20:08   #14
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
Strange to be discussing this in mid August

In my case the issue wasn't with the drain tube it was with snow falling onto the filler cap itself and collecting in the slight depression between the flap that actually opens and the metal surrounding it. Now whenever I refuel with snow around I grab a tissue as I get out of the car.
Rain or water from washing car was the issue this time not ice.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 21:13   #15
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Rain or water from washing car was the issue this time not ice.
I knew my policy of not washing car was sensible.
Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 22:13   #16
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
My petrol filler drain hole is blocked (pnarr pnarr) I noticed it just recently when filling up. Can you recommend exactly what flexible rod to use to clear it? I don't want to pierce the pipe. Is it a straight run? I have some rods for pulling electric cable I could use, but they are not that flexible......

On a related note we had some serious rain the other week and I got a bit of water come into the boot. I think it actually forced past the rubber up above the 3rd row seatbelt area. Hoping it is a one off......
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 22:24   #17
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
My petrol filler drain hole is blocked (pnarr pnarr) I noticed it just recently when filling up. Can you recommend exactly what flexible rod to use to clear it? I don't want to pierce the pipe. Is it a straight run? I have some rods for pulling electric cable I could use, but they are not that flexible......

On a related note we had some serious rain the other week and I got a bit of water come into the boot. I think it actually forced past the rubber up above the 3rd row seatbelt area. Hoping it is a one off......
When I cleared mine I just used a single strand of electrical flex - no idea whether live or neutral!!! More seriously that worked fine, drain pipe exit from memory just slightly back of the filler flap under the car, I just pulled the flex through from the bottom
Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 23:03   #18
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemark View Post
When I cleared mine I just used a single strand of electrical flex - no idea whether live or neutral!!! More seriously that worked fine, drain pipe exit from memory just slightly back of the filler flap under the car, I just pulled the flex through from the bottom
Thanks. Did you use stranded flex (like in car wiring) or solid core (like in household wiring)? I have a cupboard full of the stuff so should be able to find something....
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 10:32   #19
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Thanks. Did you use stranded flex (like in car wiring) or solid core (like in household wiring)? I have a cupboard full of the stuff so should be able to find something....
I used stranded - thought the added flexibility would be better for a wee rubber pipe. As long as it's long enough to reach from the filler cap to the ground you'll have plenty of leeway to pull it thru
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 20:02   #20
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Just in case anyone else does this, I will add my experience.

I initially used some stranded 5amp flex I had in the garage. I think it was pushing a lump of muck down through the pipe, so it got stuck somewhere near the bottom and was a touch too flexible to drive it out from the bottom. So I got some 1.5mm T&E household solid core lighting circuit cable and removed a length of one of the insulated cores. I pushed this through with success and it cleared the blockage.

The whole rubber gasket which forms the inside of the filler area was a bit manked up from the last 122k miles and also me never washing the car, so I reckon some of this has been flaking off and blocking the drain. So I took the opportunity to clean this gasket as well and everything is now nice and clean and draining and working well.