Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Black Smoke Safari

Views : 4386

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2013, 15:52   #1
flashingblade

Default D5 Black Smoke Safari

I have a 2002 D5

had it for 1 month now. 118k Miles one owner.

It was putting out quite a bit of black smoke, especially under load.

I have cleaned the EGR valve and intake pipes with carb cleaner (heavily sooted)... But Blanking off the EGR valve with a baked bean can lid made a huge difference.

However, Driving behind the Volvo black some smoke still appears under heavy load although nowhere near as much as before.

To my thinking, the cause is still present, its simply not multiplying due to blanking off the EGR.

Additionally.. The car does not feel like its putting out 165bhp. And delivery seems more like a petrol in that it wants to rev freely over 2.5k up to 4k. My prior dealings with turbo petrol and especially turbo diesel is that 'the thrust'/torque is more or less held at around 2.5 to 3K
So.... I am assuming the turbo veins may need a clean which could contribute to black smoke ????

Intercooler, How is this accessed ? .... I would like to check it. Do I access it from the front or by removing the rad ?

Lastly, Injectors. I have never dealt with diesel injectors before. Can they be removed, cleaned with carb cleaner and replaced for example ? I also understand that poor injectors can cause poor fuel burn / black smoke.

I saw on ebay replacement injector tips.. is that a good idea ?

Last edited by flashingblade; Jul 27th, 2013 at 15:54. Reason: typo from hell
flashingblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 16:35   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

intercooler either as you are looking down in the engine bay at the bottom of the radiator or get under neath and take the cover of and look in the direction of the bottom of the rad.
if you see oil then the intercooler is on its way out and as you have said under powered and smoke says that. there are 2 types on interboiler one with the sensor hole one without i would suspect as yours is 2002 it will be without but check first.
mike

mike
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 16:51   #3
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

you can not replace the injector tips.

mike
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 18:44   #4
flashingblade

How is the intercooler got to ?...

taking the rad off ?
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 19:50   #5
855 tdi
Master Member

my dad recently had problems with his 52 v70 d5 pumping black smoke out after doing obvious things like new filters and cleaning the egr valve he took it to a volvo dealership and it turned out his intercooler was leaking oil. I believe he said it was oil on one of the corners clearly leaking, he was shown without removing anything so i assume you should probably be able to see if its leaking but i may be wrong as i wasn't there sorry i can't be more help. Also as the person above said you have to replace injectors if thats the problem.

Volvo 855 TDI 228,000M (sold) Volvo V70 2.5D 218,000m (sold)
Volvo 745 GLE 129,000M (Tankenstein) Volvo 940 SE HPT 115,000M
855 tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 20:53   #6
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

http://forums.t5d5.org/page/index.ht...lacement-guide
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 08:42   #7
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashingblade View Post
I have a 2002 D5

had it for 1 month now. 118k Miles one owner.

It was putting out quite a bit of black smoke, especially under load.

I have cleaned the EGR valve and intake pipes with carb cleaner (heavily sooted)... But Blanking off the EGR valve with a baked bean can lid made a huge difference.

However, Driving behind the Volvo black some smoke still appears under heavy load although nowhere near as much as before.

To my thinking, the cause is still present, its simply not multiplying due to blanking off the EGR.

Additionally.. The car does not feel like its putting out 165bhp. And delivery seems more like a petrol in that it wants to rev freely over 2.5k up to 4k. My prior dealings with turbo petrol and especially turbo diesel is that 'the thrust'/torque is more or less held at around 2.5 to 3K
So.... I am assuming the turbo veins may need a clean which could contribute to black smoke ????

Intercooler, How is this accessed ? .... I would like to check it. Do I access it from the front or by removing the rad ?

Lastly, Injectors. I have never dealt with diesel injectors before. Can they be removed, cleaned with carb cleaner and replaced for example ? I also understand that poor injectors can cause poor fuel burn / black smoke.

I saw on ebay replacement injector tips.. is that a good idea ?
Firstly if you have not fully serviced the engine, then it's a good idea even if the previous owner or receipts seem OK. You can check the air and fuel filters, but it's a good idea to change the oil & filter to one that cleans well, just in case it has some sludge. Mobil 1 0/40 and Shell Ultra 5/40 both clean well, but I would keep the first run to 5K miles max if the oil turns black fairly quickly.

Cleaning the intake and EGR was a good move, but if the car was stuck in traffic or did a lot short trips before, it may need a good Sunday motorway trip to clean the cylinders of Carbon deposits.
Once the basic servicing and WOT session have been done, if it is still smokey at idle, then try a direct feed injection cleaner. This can often just be poured into the fuel filter, but read the instructions as it's sometimes better to disconnect the fuel return line and use a seperate feed from the can of cleaner.

I would never bother to try and service the injectors, just try the cleaner first and if it's not gum deposits then they might need sending off to be reconditioned. New common rail injectors are expensive. Hope it's not top end trouble and just a lack of WOT or bad filters case.

Are you having to top up the oil much? If you walk around the back after a good run, can you see any sign of smoke at idle? If the engine is not using oil, but smokey at hot idle, it might be the injectors. If it's burning oil, there are other possible causes of black smoke, like poor compression. Trying to ID a fault from the colour of the smoke can be tricky, as it's often greyish and can be either fuel or oil. White smoke is oil, but black smoke can still be fuel and oil. If you can get the fault codes read that might help, as there are some non block possibilities like a blocked Cat or the dreaded DPF if you have one and a chat with the previous owner or his garage can be interesting, as many owners know exactly what is wrong with the car they have sold.

Last edited by skyship007; Jul 28th, 2013 at 10:51.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 15:48   #8
flashingblade

fairly sure its fuel.. Its sooty black when you put the engine under load, short shoots of soot.

So, think I will take a closer look at the intercooler

Fuel filter just been changed and I had the front wishbones done. Air filter was bright yellow when I checked

Last edited by flashingblade; Jul 28th, 2013 at 15:50. Reason: more info
flashingblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 08:16   #9
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashingblade View Post
fairly sure its fuel.. Its sooty black when you put the engine under load, short shoots of soot.

So, think I will take a closer look at the intercooler

Fuel filter just been changed and I had the front wishbones done. Air filter was bright yellow when I checked
OK, so if we rule out servicing and Carbon build up, then that would point to the turbo failing to boost next. The intercooler is one possibility, but anything that causes a lack of boost will overload the engine causing black smoke. That includes a failed regulator, associated hose or stuck wastegate. The turbo may also have a more serious problem, although they tend to make a funny sound or leak oil if they have failed in a big way.
The big question I have is, does this engine smoke at idle or on first start? If it only smokes at high power or accelerating then that does hint at a turbo problem.

There are some other causes of overloading, like binding brakes (Failed calipers or even handbrake), gearbox main bearing or even clutch bearing, but they are fairly obvious from heat or transmission noise. The other common one is fiddling with the MAP and use of a tuning resistor in particular. If it's not the turbo then I would get the fault codes read, just in case it's a defective ECU or associated sensor.

Last edited by skyship007; Jul 30th, 2013 at 08:26.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 09:06   #10
flashingblade

Only smokes with hard acceleration. and its black soot coming out.

For what its worth, not much turbo sound when revved or on the move, and, it likes to rev freely up to 4K plus (as if the Turbo is not boosting at lower revs)

So, I was thinking intercooler leak or turbo veigns stuck.