Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Squealing Brakes

Views : 721

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 11:22   #1
JASE

Help Please

I have changed the Disks and Pads on the Rear of my S70 T5, Eurocar parts disks & Pads

They squeal like mad when going slowly under braking.

I have changed the Pads to ferodo, with copper grease behind pads, they still squeal.

Any advice please

Is there anti-squeal shims available for these.

Yours Demented

Jase
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 13:24   #2
don kalmar union
Trader

Default RE: Squealing Brakes

I have never heard of the rear discs making a sound.

There is some real cheap crap available from some aftermarket suppliers. Often sourced from the Third World with really poor quality materials.

You are not getting this sound from overtightened parking brake function by any chance?

My performance brake parts may be at a premium to most all of this aftermarket stuff, but it is first class kit.... which is what you need for these powerfull, heavy cars!

Regards, Don.Norchi. www kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 11:33   #3
somesy

I've an '96 850 T5-R Est. and have a similar problem - front brakes squal like mad!!! Had them checked by Kwik-Fit and they found nothing wrong. Also just had a service and mentioned it - again found nothing but still the noise persists. It's not there all the time but when it is it's unbearable: think of a london bus coming to a stop for an idea!

Don't want to spend much (If anything) on sorting it out as I know the brakes are newish and in good order. But good god the noise is bad!
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 23:06   #4
t5-sheffield

Can't be of any help I'm afraid, but if it makes you feel any better I've tried several different combinations of good quality discs and pads (brembo, ferrodo to name two) and they squeal like mad when slow braking too - this was all in the space of about 2 months (my supplier took the used discs and pads back!)
I've been running brembo discs and ferrodo pads for a couple of months hoping they would 'bed in' or just give up on sqealing, but no joy so far.
I'm changing the suspension bushes and link rods tomorrow, so I'm going to re-grease the back of the pads and see if this makes any difference.
Anyway, if you find a solution - please, please post it, it's driving me nuts!
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 12:53   #5
Squirty

I've just had mine replaced for genuine Volvo parts and not a sound to be heard.

I checked this out with a local reliable mechanic who used to run a T5. He had tried 8 different types of pad on the rear and they all sqealed.....except the genuine parts!

Cheers,

Adam
'94 850 T5