Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

855r

Views : 1068

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2015, 18:45   #1
sye73

Default 855r

(Also posted in the 850 section)

Hi all
I was wondering if someone could help me with a few questions I have about my 855r pls? Broadly, I'm looking for an overview of (mainly) suspension components so i can better understand the most cost effective way of going through my car and finishing up with a good range of products and not doubled up on labour charges. I should stress that I wouldn't be doing any work myself and it would all be garage based.
The areas I would especially like information on are as follows :

1. Control arms/Lower wishbones (these are the same thing??). I guess I have the option of OEM, Meyle HD or Lemforder ? Would these come with bushes already fitted or do i need to purchase separately ? Labour time/costs to fit ?

2. Tie rods and Drop links - Any preference on brands here or is it basically the same as above?

3. Springs/Dampers and Top mounts - When would it be most cost effective to get these replaced ? Am I going to be doubling-up much by doing , for example ,control arms first and the dampers at a later date ?

4. Wheel bearings - As above : best time to do these ? Is it a case of OEM for these ? Labour time/costs to fit ?

5. Subframe bushes - Again, best time to do these / what bushes to use and what would be an estimate of labour costs to change ?

Many thanks for any help - If anyone one has first hand experience with any of the above ( or BC, Bilstein B4/B6, or Koni suspension set ups ), I'd be really grateful for your thoughts.

Regards
sye73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 10:23   #2
scvolvo
Premier Member

Wishbones, go for ally and fit meyle detectable ball joints with poly bushes

Meyle droplinks

B6s work fantastic on the road and are meant for lowering springs unlike b4s (Koni yellows a little firm) Koni oranges str.t are ok. Eibach springs are good, also liked Klien / Lesforjd (same I believe)

Original engine mounts, use subframe inserts from pfv to stiffen up the front a little

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1542415576082157/
https://m.facebook.com/swedishevents/
scvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 22:09   #3
sye73

Thanks for your post. Could you clarify the following please ?

1.With regards the ally wishbones, are these a particular brand and where would I look at obtaining prices etc ?
2.The Meyle ball joints and droplinks ; Are these part of the HD range ?
3. Having done some research on the Bilstein dampers, I was told that ' B4 are aimed as an OE replacement and will allow for an 'upto 40mm drop' in ride height whilst maintaining damping properties. B6 are aimed at people who want a sports/uprated damper, but don't want a lowered chassis '. Hence my confusion !
4. I will take a look at the springs youve mentioned. I have heard of Lemforder and Lesjofers, are 'Lesforjd' anything to do with these ?
5. I am not in a position to use the subframe inserts as the subframe bushes are in need of replacement and won't accept an insert. Do you have any idea how much a garage would charge to fit x4 new bushes ?

Thanks
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 22:26   #4
scvolvo
Premier Member

Yes HD range of parts.

Bilstein don't specify b4s for lowering springs, I've seen them fail once lowered quite quickly.

Look on there website for details, I've perosnally had b4, b6 bilsteins, koni str.ts, koni adjustable yellows, bc coilovers, pro sport coilovers, and quite often multiple sets of them, as now had 17 R's

Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 22:27   #5
scvolvo
Premier Member

No idea on costs as do 99% of the work myself of with a friend

Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 00:06   #6
sye73

Quote:
Originally Posted by scvolvo View Post
Yes HD range of parts.

Bilstein don't specify b4s for lowering springs, I've seen them fail once lowered quite quickly.

Look on there website for details, I've perosnally had b4, b6 bilsteins, koni str.ts, koni adjustable yellows, bc coilovers, pro sport coilovers, and quite often multiple sets of them, as now had 17 R's
Sounds like you have had some decent experience here !
Interesating with the B4/B6 specifics you mention .. I copied this from a dealer Bilstein pointed me to :
Bilstein B4 dampers
.. These dampers are not uprated and should be used with standard springs or lowering springs with circa 30mm drop.

B6 - Ideal upgrade for standard dampers, all the benefits of B8, but standard length designed to work with standard ride height and lowering springs up to approx 30mm lowering

From this I would say Bilstein are happy for B4's to be run with 30mm lower springs ??
Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 00:11   #7
sye73

I'm still going to research the springs :

4. I will take a look at the springs youve mentioned. I have heard of Lemforder and Lesjofers, are 'Lesforjd' anything to do with these ?

Cheers
Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 07:02   #8
scvolvo
Premier Member

B4 oem shock that's gas,

b6 is the start of the sports shocks that's why they are yellow ok up to -30mm drop.

B8 same as b6 with shorter damper rods for slightly lower springs -30-60mm

Car parts suppliers may same there ok to -30, but I'm guessing they're trying to sell them, I know a lot of people fit them but they're not a sports shock and I'm guessing there standard shocks are well past it, so even fitting new Volvo shocks would feel similar.

Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 14:18   #9
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

B4's are fine with lowered springs.