Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Child Seats... Help....

Views : 1069

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2013, 10:27   #1
Dors27

Unhappy V50 Child Seats... Help....

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me/advise me.

I have recently purchased a V50 (2005reg) and I am now having problems trying to find a child seat that actually fits!! The car seat (Britax) I have now has fitted numerous makes of cars including a Yreg V70. The problem being with the V50 is that numerous makes of child seats cover seat buckle or restrict said belt clipping into buckle...

So I was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem...

I spoke to Volvo UK who said try their seats... But truly I dont want to buy another seat!!!!

Thank you....
Dors27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 12:32   #2
iainmd

Been there, done it and won the t-shirt my friend. We've had battles with the bolster cushions and the norrow flat base on our S40 & V50. What we finally ended up with (that fitted properly without deforming the seat cushion or sitting squint on the seat):

Group 0 - Rear facing (baby): Maxi-Cosi CabrioFix (Isofix)
Group 1-2 - Front facing (toddler): Maxi-cosi PrioriFix (IsoFix)
Group 2-3 - Front facing (enfant): Britax Kidfix (Isofix)

For the first 2 you don't need the seatbelt anyway so clearance wasn't an issue but it needed the base to be narrow enough not to deform the cushion foam.

For the last one the kidfix is still a slight fiddle to get the seat belt buckle round (only because the armrest slightly gets in your way - the buckle itself is clear of the seat base) but after extensive research and Mothercare allowing us to actually try all their models in our own car it was the best we could find. The base fits the width of the flat part of the seat cushion. The only thing we found that was better was the Britax Adventure (non-Isofix). It was a breeze to get the buckles round but I wanted Isofix to keep the seats in place.

Hope that helps. It took us years to discover all that. We have 2 kids but 9 seats as a result of bad purchase decisions!

Iain

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE

Last edited by iainmd; Sep 30th, 2013 at 12:38.
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 12:37   #3
iainmd

I should add that I see Britax now make a Kidfix XP with no armrests. That looks much the same as a Kidfix but would eliminate any remaining challenge in getting the belt buckle in.

Old Sep 30th, 2013, 16:06   #4
Dors27

Iainmd - am glad that somebody else has gone through this too...

I spent 3.5hrs yesterday trying different seats in Mothercare & Halfords.. I didn't come across the Britax Kidfix (not in stock!!) so I will now have a look at the two you have recommend. I even considered purchasing a belt extension but am not sure with regards to how safe that would be!!!!
Thanks again for your help & I will keep you posted...
Dors27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 18:56   #5
MacV50
Master Member

I use Kidfix too and it was tight but my girls both managed to get themselves belted in.

Would recommend Kiddicare for the seats as they were much cheaper then anywhere else when I bought mine.
MacV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 19:50   #6
iainmd

I too researched buckle extensions as a possibility until I found a good fit but the consensus was that they are a very bad idea. The child seat is developed to have the belts placed in particular way over the seat and moving te buckle upwards changes that.

Also, there's always the possibility of quality around such things and the associated safety risks that could follow.

Ultimately there's nothing better than a correctly fitted seat (or so all the experts told me) ;-)

Old Sep 30th, 2013, 21:01   #7
marccowley

Ive got the maxi cosi family fix isofix base with the pebble ontop, fits perfectly, and so does the pearl. Dont know if this helps or not as you said you dont want to buy another seat
marccowley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
child seats, v50