Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

3 child seats + 2 adults in a V70 or XC70?

Views : 3292

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2022, 20:53   #1
mcooke999

Default 3 child seats + 2 adults in a V70 or XC70?

We currently have a V60 which suits our family of 4 perfectly so far... However, with a 3rd little one on the way, I'm starting to stress out that it might not be big enough for all 5 of us!!

Would a V70 or XC70 fit 3 child seats (plus 2 adults?), Either 3 kids across the back or one in the front with the wife in the back with the other 2 children?

Has the XC70 got any more room across the back than a V70 or are they identical inside?

Children's ages & seat combinations will be:

5.5 years - booster seat
3 years - high backed booster seat (forward facing)
0 years - carrycot car seat (rearward facing)

Any real world experience of trying to fit 3 young kids into a Volvo would be appreciated!

I did also post something very similar on the V60 forum but thought it might be worth asking here too as we may well need to change to a V70/XC70 depending on the outcome!
mcooke999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 20:58   #2
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcooke999 View Post
We currently have a V60 which suits our family of 4 perfectly so far... However, with a 3rd little one on the way, I'm starting to stress out that it might not be big enough for all 5 of us!!

Would a V70 or XC70 fit 3 child seats (plus 2 adults?), Either 3 kids across the back or one in the front with the wife in the back with the other 2 children?

Has the XC70 got any more room across the back than a V70 or are they identical inside?

Children's ages & seat combinations will be:

5.5 years - booster seat
3 years - high backed booster seat (forward facing)
0 years - carrycot car seat (rearward facing)

Any real world experience of trying to fit 3 young kids into a Volvo would be appreciated!

I did also post something very similar on the V60 forum but thought it might be worth asking here too as we may well need to change to a V70/XC70 depending on the outcome!
The XC70 and V70 share the same basic body shell and the rear seats are the same.

What you can fit in the back will be partly determined by the width of the booster seat. They come in varying widths, and the wider ones can cover seat belt anchor points.

Last edited by Sotosound; Nov 17th, 2022 at 21:00.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 22:33   #3
Whyman
Premier Member

Probably not quite possible to get three child seats across the back as previously stated.

You have to be aware of the regulations regarding the age or size of children that can sit in the front.

From my experience with my 3 grandchildren, you need to be aware of occasional “child wars” that will break out in the rear if you have all 3 together.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 06:26   #4
Accelebrate

A friend with three young children opted for one of these, originally in a Skoda Superb, and I recently helped him move it to a Tesla Model Y…

https://www.multimac.com/p/multimac_1000_3_seater

Not cheap, but a good solution if you want to drive a ‘normal’ estate car.
Accelebrate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Accelebrate For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 21:16   #5
mcooke999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelebrate View Post
A friend with three young children opted for one of these, originally in a Skoda Superb, and I recently helped him move it to a Tesla Model Y…

https://www.multimac.com/p/multimac_1000_3_seater

Not cheap, but a good solution if you want to drive a ‘normal’ estate car.
Thanks for that, yes I think I've heard of these. Very pricey but cheaper than changing cars I guess! I'm going to trial fit the car seats we've got in the near future to see if it's doable.

My thoughts are that a V70/XC70 will be bigger across the back but others have said they are the same?
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 07:45   #6
reggit
Premier Member

We’ve got a V70 with the family pack, booster seats are built into the outer rear seats.
I no longer have a full child seat to try that, although occasionally my wife will sit between the kids to stop the wars.

If you want to look at ours and are in the Preston area sometime, I’ll tidy some of their crap out the back 😂.

To be honest though, if you want to go with Volvo, I’d be thinking along the XC90 lines as the kids will soon out grow sitting 3 abreast in a 70.
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 08:13   #7
100K+
Premier Member

My daughter was in same position as OP about 5yrs ago, three kids all needing seats not boosters. She also INSISTED that the seats be isofix....the only car that fit the bill, 5 seater as opposed to 7 seater was a citroen P4 picasso. Despite my serious reservations at buying a citroen, and it resembling a dust bin since purchase , it has proved remarkably reliable and suited to purpose. Even if its like dish water to drive,look at,etc etc.
Cheers Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 11:29   #8
Tatsfield
Premier Member

The built in boosters in my XC70 are a godsend. No more need to remember if we need to take child seats/boosters in the boot in case we have to seat our two grandchildren. They do fight over who sits in which seat but there are strict seating rotation protocols! There is room between the built in boosters for another booster so we can take 3 kids in the back is needed.
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 19:13   #9
mcooke999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
The built in boosters in my XC70 are a godsend. No more need to remember if we need to take child seats/boosters in the boot in case we have to seat our two grandchildren. They do fight over who sits in which seat but there are strict seating rotation protocols! There is room between the built in boosters for another booster so we can take 3 kids in the back is needed.
Ah yes the inbuilt booster seats might be the answer then if there's still enough room between for a car seat / access to buckles?
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 19:17   #10
mcooke999

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
We’ve got a V70 with the family pack, booster seats are built into the outer rear seats.
I no longer have a full child seat to try that, although occasionally my wife will sit between the kids to stop the wars.

If you want to look at ours and are in the Preston area sometime, I’ll tidy some of their crap out the back 😂.

To be honest though, if you want to go with Volvo, I’d be thinking along the XC90 lines as the kids will soon out grow sitting 3 abreast in a 70.
Reggit, thanks for your reply. My wife is actually from Preston so we do find ourselves over there a lot! I might take you up on that offer at some point if you don't mind, would be good to compare.

I had thought about the XC90 actually or an S-Max perhaps if the V60/70 XC70 wasn't wide enough... The new shape XC90's are coming down in price now as they get older, although they aren't cheap by any means... But saying that, not a lot is at the moment, a decent 2015/16 low miles XC70 are knocking on £20k too at the moment!
The Following User Says Thank You to mcooke999 For This Useful Post: