Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc90 2004 iPod solution? - parrot Ct10vl05

Views : 1896

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2013, 10:22   #1
sthodgson

Default Xc90 2004 iPod solution? - parrot Ct10vl05

Hi,

Just bought a 2004 xc90 and have been looking at connecting an iPod. There seems to be the Denison gateway 500 option, but I've come across the parrot Ct10vl05 that links with the parrot i9100. It does not link in with the fibre ring so was wondering if anyone had tried it and if it produces sound out of all the speakers?

The whole lot can be bought for about 160 quid which is good value compared to other options.

Thanks,
Sam
sthodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 12:30   #2
PsYcHe

I've got a 9200i which plugs into the amp under the driver's seat. Works a treat.
PsYcHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 13:03   #3
petrolhead69

I haven't found the right xc yet, but my plan is to fit a parrot kit with the sot lead, but then disable mute on streaming, then feed the line level audio from the blue box in to the preamp stage on the am tuner, am on the radio will then be aux in, this way for music the Volvo amp will be used and all the speakers will work. The amp in the 9200 is good, but the Volvo amp is great.
With the parrot sot lead you lose the centre speaker and the sub, using aux in will retain all the speakers but lose am radio. There are other mods possible to the underseat amp but they affect volume control. Another possibility to add the centre and sub is to add a 2 channel amp and a hpf for the centre channel and lpf for the sub and add a dpdt relay. This adds wiring complexity.
Another option for ipod in using all the speakers is the jbl ms8, this has audiophile levels of sound quality and adjustability, but it is pricey

Last edited by petrolhead69; Apr 9th, 2013 at 13:31.
petrolhead69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 14:04   #4
sthodgson

This all sounds promising. It's really difficult to find people with working systems so this is good.

Psyche - are you saying the parrot just plugs straight into the amp? Do I need a harness/adaptor? How does the parrot unit get power? Does it get centre and sub speakers?

Petrolhead69 - so if it is done this way through the am radio you will get centre and sub? Does it plug into head unit somewhere?

Many thanks.
sthodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 14:54   #5
stevieg83

I'm in the same boat but with an 03 XC90. I'm considering a GROM unit also.
stevieg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 15:24   #6
joemc99

fyi, on my XC90 exec with pro logic II, the sound only comes through he centre speaker and the sub when the CD or MD (lol) is being used. The radio does not play surround. I am guessing if you use this cable direct to the amp, you will only get sound to the 4 speakers (I'm not sure about the tweeters).

Can anyone confirm this? If it does play surround from the parrot via amp, then I might get it installed.
joemc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 16:21   #7
Funky Diver
FD

The most obvious, albeit elusive, solution for cars with MD would be to use that.

Most of the systems I've found replace the CD multidisc which is all a bit dft IMHO.

C'est la vie...
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 16:56   #8
PsYcHe

You do need one of the SOT leads for it. Takes about 20 minutes to install depending on where you want to run the bits for the parrot to. Mine is just in beside the amp.
PsYcHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 20:56   #9
Bigice

I did the radio route, modified the FM tuner and then fed the parrot into this, when the parrot comes on the mute wire operates a realy in the FM reciver and auto switches over the radio to the parrot, the sound is great and it only cost £3....
Bigice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 23:38   #10
petrolhead69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigice View Post
I did the radio route, modified the FM tuner and then fed the parrot into this, when the parrot comes on the mute wire operates a realy in the FM reciver and auto switches over the radio to the parrot, the sound is great and it only cost £3....
Do you have a note of the tracks to cut into for the fm preamp?
petrolhead69 is offline   Reply With Quote