Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon blue light blues...

Views : 1275

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2006, 20:17   #1
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Default Amazon blue light blues...

Thankfully its not a blue light in my rear view mirror thats the problem, but the one in the centre of the speedo!
Operating the light switch on the dash, I have as follows...
One pull: Side lights. Two pulls: dipped beam AND blue light. Foot switch: Full beam and blue light.
When I operate the flasher by pulling the indicator stalk, I only get a dipped beam with the blue light coming on on the speedo.
I understand (but may be wrong) that the blue light on the speedo shouldn't come on until the foot switch is depressed for the full beam or if the flasher is operated by pulling on the indicator stalk.
I have tried comparing the set up on the light switch and it is the same as on my other Amazon, which has not been messed with. I'd rather not take the steering column on the other car apart to check the wiring, and I did follow my notes on how it should be wired when it went back together correctly.
Could I have reconnected the indicator stalk incorrectly, or does this issue ring any bells with anyone???
As you have probably gathered by now, auto electrics are a BIG learning curve for me.
Any help much appreciated.

Gordon
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 23:55   #2
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hunter View Post
I understand (but may be wrong) that the blue light on the speedo shouldn't come on until the foot switch is depressed for the full beam or if the flasher is operated by pulling on the indicator stalk.
AFAIK, that's how it should be, and also how it is on my car. Sorry I can't help any more, but electrics aren't my strong point either....

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 09:58   #3
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Default Thanks,

I'll be happy to leave it as is then.

Gordon
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 15:19   #4
BillKat

Pulling the indicator stalk is supposed to flash full beam (blue light on).

Pulling the dash switch fully out should be dipped beam / no blue light (unless the foot switch is set to full beam, in which case you get full beam + blue light).

So the blue light should only come on when high beam is selected I think.

At least, this is the way it is one of my cars, on one the stalk flasher doesn't work at all,

cheers
Bill

Last edited by BillKat; Dec 10th, 2006 at 15:23.
BillKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 18:04   #5
Martin Burch

Only had my Amazon for one day but the blue light does seem to only come on with full beam. I haven't had a chance to try out the indicator flashing headlights operation yet.
This is a 1965 model, just converted to alternator from a dynamo.
Maybe different model years behave differently?
Martin
Martin Burch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 18:52   #6
TomTom
Master Member

I also think the blue light should only come on when the full beam has been activated, not when the normal dipped lights are on. And the flasher should flash the full beams, not the dipped beams (otherwise you would se no flash effect when you are driving with dipped lights).

I think something small changed when you did the recent work on the indicator.

Tom
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 22:13   #7
simon2

Default Headlight main beam light

It seems that the feed for the warning light has been connected to the light switch instead of to the dip switch. The connection for the warning light should be off the same terminal as the main beam terminal on the dipswitch. For it to work as you describe, it must be connected either to the light switch headlamp terminal (although not necessarily at the light switch itself !) or (more unlikely) to both dip and main beam terminals on the dip switch.

Good luck with it. I'm sure that it can be solved with checking over what's connected where.
simon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 14:33   #8
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

It can't be connected to both dip and main terminals on the dip switch, otherwise dip and main would backfeed each other and you'd have both beams on at the same time no matter what you selected. (Unless someone put a couple of diodes in... but that would be a totally weird thing to do.) Somehow it's got connected to the feed to the dip switch rather than the main beam output, I think, though I don't have an Amazon wiring diagram to hand.

Can't help with the flash function... that never worked on my Amazon and I could never be bothered to fix it, so I never learnt the details of that part of the circuitry.

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 21:59   #9
Mike Arnold
Master Member

You may have a faulty foot-operated switch. These do get tired and the normal symptom is no lights. However, it might just be possible that the switch is illuminating both dipped and full beam simulataneously.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 12:43   #10
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Default Problem solved...

The previous owner had connected the headlight terminals incorrectly.
I jhad ust assumed that they were correct and put them back the same way when I re-assembled the car.

All works as it should do now. Blue warning light on full beam only. Flasher works too.

Many thanks to you all for your helpful suggestions that made the process so much quicker.

Gordon