Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 T5R momentary cut out under hard acceleration

Views : 1392

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2024, 17:32   #11
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

A quick update. I have just taken her out again and with the fault codes cleared and TRACS off, there is no change, the quite violent hesitation occurs around 4500-5000 rpm in sport mode and seemingly just as it wants to change up a gear. No issue when stationary - she winds up to 6k without an issue. When cooled down I will check the wastegate actuator - it does seem a little stiff.*Dancake, I will definitely be interested in your TCV!
PSJVTHEBEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 17:42   #12
Dancake
Premier Member

I'll see if I can retrieve it tonight or tomorrow.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 17:45   #13
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

I forgot to mention that immediately after switching on the engine the ABS warning light came on and when I got back after the test drive and checked the codes the 424 ('Pressure switch for TRACS, faulty or short circuit') was back!
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 18:23   #14
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJVTHEBEST View Post
I forgot to mention that immediately after switching on the engine the ABS warning light came on and when I got back after the test drive and checked the codes the 424 ('Pressure switch for TRACS, faulty or short circuit') was back!
Interesting...this is the fellow located on the brake master cylinder? Perhaps this is linked to the brake lamp switch (did you mention a previous repair?) or an early indication of solder joints failing on the ABS module?

In the meantime try clean your existing TCV with some carb cleaner and, once dry, spray some dry PTFE through it, if you have some to hand, or a couple of drops of 3in1 oil and shake out any excess.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 18:30   #15
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

Thanks Liam. I also forgot to mention that the ABS warning light went out after about a quarter mile on braking.
From what I have read, the TRACS pressure switch is integrated into the ABS module (haven't looked for that yet!) but you are right that the brake pedal switch did play up and I cleaned it and now the brake lights work. But I believe it does have something to do with TACS - I need to research that!
Thanks for the advice on the TCV.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 21:23   #16
Shinsplintz 101

You can by a new oem tcv for about £40. Made by PIERBURG. Just Google it.
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 23:34   #17
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
You can by a new oem tcv for about £40. Made by PIERBURG. Just Google it.
Correct, exactly what I did, and it's still working fine.
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 10:39   #18
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

Thanks Shinsplintz and Luxobarge. Dancake is kindly sending his TCV for me to try first. I still wonder if the (recurring) 424 (TRACS) code is signalling a cause or contributory cause of the problem though!
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 13:26   #19
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
I replaced the original Pierburg TCV (part number 7.21681.01 12) with a new Pierburg TCV (part number 7.28197.16.0)
Amazingly, a Google search of said replacement TCV actually brought up above posting from Dancake in: What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJVTHEBEST View Post
I still wonder if the (recurring) 424 (TRACS) code is signalling a cause or contributory cause of the problem though!
It may very well be contributing to the issue and will certainly need addressing...especially before the next MOT.

A new TCV would help confirm whether your existing TCV is doing it's job, or not, and would be £40 well spent if nothing only to have it in your spares bin. You can then focus your attention on the TRACS fault.

I would hate to see you throwing more parts at it so there are some great and recent ABS fault finding threads from Duke1, Luxobarge and El Padrino which may help to effectively identify and diagnose the issue.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 22:03   #20
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

Thanks Liam, great advice.