Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starter and flywheel - broken cogs.

Views : 15019

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2009, 17:04   #1
siggi757

Default Starter and flywheel - broken cogs.

Hi everyone.

I have a problem with my 2003 XC90 D5 and would like to ask your opinion on it and also if anyone has come across similar problem.

When starting the car the other day I heard a grating sound during the start. The car started normally apart from the sound. This also happened during the next start but on the third start of the day the starter made a sound like a dentists drill but didn't turn the engine.

After removing the starter I saw that few cogs on the flywheel were broken and some of the surrounding cogs damaged. The cogs of the starter pinion are also damaged. See photos below.

The car is driven 53.000 miles and has received regular maintainance. I find it unbelievable that a component like this breaks on a Volvo that is only six years old and not driven more. The dealer is looking into the matter but I don't expect much to come out of it.

All input is greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Siggi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BR142 startkrans.JPG (151.6 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg BR142 startari.JPG (143.9 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by siggi757; Apr 8th, 2009 at 17:07. Reason: Spelling
siggi757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 18:37   #2
pdr944

Default starter prob.

hi siggi,

the damage looks bad.its almost looks like the key has been turned to start with the engine already running.the only good thing about this is that you can get a replacement starter motor for as little as fifty five pounds on ebay.the problem with fly wheel ring gears is that the starter hits them in only two places 180degrees apart so all the wear is in two small areas,but it should not be as bad as that.and of course its an engine g/box split to replace.these days this problem is rare on cars.back in the sixties it was common on fords especially.

best of luck with the repair.

peter.
pdr944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 02:21   #3
siggi757

Thanks Peter for the info.

I can't believe this can happen with such a relatively new Volvo and I don't have to tell you that I don't regularly turn the key to start while the engine is running.

Could it be that the metal in the flywheel is of substandard quality. Or perhaps that the starter and flywheel are incorrectly "calibrated" so that the starter pinion hits the flywheel incorrectly (slips) at the beginning of each start?

Cheers,
Siggi

Last edited by siggi757; Apr 10th, 2009 at 02:28.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 08:33   #4
pdr944

Default starter prob.

hi siggi,

the chances of the starter and ring gear being wrongly matched are nil unless it had been repaired before.the chances of one or the other being slighly out of line are also very slim i.e.the starter being slightly loose or the ring gear being on crooked.were all the starter bolts tight ?.as i said these days this is a very rare problem as far as i know and i,ve never seen it before on this forum.its a frustrating situation as the ring gear is a labour intensive job to replace a cheap part and if it was just the starter you could do it yourself for a reasonable price.if it was me i would find a good independant garage who could split the g/box and engine and let them do the job.

all the best

peter.
The Following User Says Thank You to pdr944 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 08:52   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

It is an unfortunate failure of a starter motor thats all , extremely rare , i too have never seen it before on a D5 in ANY volvo model ... Maybe if you had the problem looked at when the noise first became apparant it would have saved the ring gear on the flywheel .. This wear is long term, surely it must have sounded grindy for quite a while ?
Regarding the engine stopping in only two positions and having two wear spots this is true of a 4 cylinder of course but not a 5 ! At least the wear is evened out a lot more around the ring gear .. But generaly this is a very rare and unlucky problem on this D5 ..
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 14:16   #6
siggi757

Thanks for the info.

The grinding noise was only heard on two occasions and that was on the same day the starter/flywheel gave up. In fact the sound was not very loud, perhaps due to the fact how worn the cogs had become.

Well, such are the joys of car ownership.
I'll do as Peter recommends and find a good independent mechanic for the job. No reason to pump more cash to the main dealer.

I want to add for everyone thinking about buying a XC90 that I like my D5 very much and it drives great. For years I've sworn by Volvo cars and been very lucky with the ones I´ve bought. Therefore this failure comes as a big surprise.

Thanks again.
Siggi

Last edited by siggi757; Apr 10th, 2009 at 14:19.
Old May 8th, 2009, 14:15   #7
siggi757

UPDATE:

After inspection of the engine by the main dealer they found that the reason for the flywheel being chewed up by the starter is a faulty bearing on the crankshaft. Seems the faulty bearing allows the crankshaft to move about and that causes the flywheel to be slightly misaligned.

An independent mechaninc specializing in Volvos told my that this is a known problem with these engines. I hope that the block is not also damaged by the crankshaft but I've been told that that has happened in some cases.

This is a problem I haven't heard of before although I've been lurking on various Volvo forums for years.

I had a 2005 Volvo XC90 D5 before this 2003 model which is now giving me problems and when comparing the two I can say that the 2003 model took slightly more turning over by the starter before engine start and the engine ran a little bit more rough, specially when cold. These may be the symptoms of this problem.

I am greatly diasappointed by Volvo since these are components you'd expect to last the life of the car. The repair bill is astronomical even though the dealer has given my some discount as a goodwill.

I seriously doubt I'll buy such an expensive Volvo again.

Fortunately my 15 year old 850 soldiers on like never before.
Old May 8th, 2009, 20:20   #8
pdr944

as you say this just should not happen on a vehicle these days.very disappointing and enough to make you think twice about buying the same model again.

all the best ,

peter.
Old May 8th, 2009, 21:01   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

I seem to remember the flywheel ring gear teeth stripping was a problem with a batch of faulty hardening . How much endfloat have you on the crankshaft? It would have to be about 6 mm to cause starter gear mesh problems .
Old May 8th, 2009, 21:43   #10
Leeds Lad
Leeds Lad

This happened to me and I ended up buying a new gearbox. The teeth on the starter motor are steel and the teeth on the flywheel are not as strong. You will require a new flywheel this is not a cheap option and there are more than one type, so make sure that your garage confirm that the correct flywheel has been supplied. Don't continue driving the car as this will cause more damage. If you need more info pm me and will help out as much as possible.
Leeds Lad is offline   Reply With Quote