Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1800S - Wiring help. Interior lights and unknown wires !

Views : 6015

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 13:46   #1
brucelee34

Default P1800S - Wiring help. Interior lights and unknown wires !

Hi all, I am wondering how to get my interior lights working. I removed bot and found there was no wires attached at all. On removing the side interior panel i found a couple of wires as shown in the included photos. The wires are purple and purple/Yellow. I have no clue whether these are the right ones and where they can possibly go on the interior light base. I have included a photo of this too. Also, there are two wires under the passenger side of the dash which are purple and purple/green. These are just dangling there doin nothing. Does anyone know what these do as well? I have included a photo as well so if anyone can help I would be very happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP_A0038e.jpg (65.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg SP_A0031e.jpg (54.6 KB, 44 views)
brucelee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 22:00   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

I've wiring diagrams for the 1800 - I'll be able to help you out if you don't mind waiting till the weekend.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 22:01   #3
VolvoFan
Master Member

Only a shot in the dark, but the wire(s) under the dash on the passenger side might be for the map light, but it looks as if the switch for this is missing.
VolvoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 22:34   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

bl;

Welcome to the Forum!

When it comes to wiring issues, my first advice is: Let the wiring diargam and the color codes therein be you guide!

See: http://sw-em.com/1800%20Wiring%20Diagram.jpg

The wires at the lighting fixture supply power from the (removed) SPDT (single pole, double throw) switch, which switched interior lights to "door" function or constant ON....and don't forget, by lifting the clear lens at the fixtures themselves, lights could also be controlled locally.

GOOD Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 23:43   #5
Alan Beckett

Bruce,

Further to Ron's post - try this wiring diagram the colour codes arew in English not Swedish!

Ron is correct in that the wires dangling down under the dash should connect to a three way switch (on, off, on from door microswitch). For testing your connections on the car, and for tracing other wiring niggles, invest in a Gunson auto probe 6 - 24 volt tester - available from GSF for about £40.

I'll take some photos of my lights to show you how mine are connected. I'll post these in a couple of days.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wiring-1800-1800S-1962-69.pdf (184.7 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by Alan Beckett; Sep 22nd, 2008 at 23:45.
Alan Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alan Beckett For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 00:25   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

Excellent diagram. What did it come out off? We could do with a few more like that!
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 09:40   #7
brucelee34

That was probably the best diagram for wiring I have seen so far.
Yes, there is obviously a switch missing. I do have a switch on the drivers side which is a three way switch. This doesn;t work at all. I also don;t have and contact switches in the dorrs or anywhere on the pillars so I guess someone removed them.
Thanks Alan if you can post a photo if the interior lights as I can get to work from there and hopefully at least have some manual control over the lights.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:48   #8
brucelee34

UPDATE !!!

I have now found the following wires in the rear where the interior lightsa should be... On the passenger side there is two Purple and yellow (connected together with bullet type connector that would fit in the INT Light frame) and two purple wires connected the same way as. These were found dangling and taped up in the boot so I have rerouted them. I can see a branch from the loom which goes to the drivers side INT Light which has a single Purple/Yellow wire a dn a Purple wire but without the bullet type connector to fit in the frame. Goind by your wiring diagrams I can see this is all I need except the wires don;t seem to come from the Map Light switch connectors but from another installed switch on the drivers side. I guess I need to start from scratch.
Also, the two white wires from the tacho had been cut for some reason that is beyond me. Following your diagrams I have connected to the coil/distributor and the tacho is working. Thank you for your help on this.

The door contacts for the interior lights are there but seem to be two 13mm nuts screwed into the pillar. Is this correct? I can see the contact but always thought it would be more of a spring loaded contact. I can't see how the current set up would work. Maybe I need to purchase some door contacts.

Whoever owend the car before me obviously had some electric issues as I can;t understand why so many would be severed/disconnected/cut or simply missing.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 15:26   #9
brucelee34

Here is a photo of the door contact. This is all there is and it connects to that purple/white wire. I can;t see how this works :-(
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP_A0040e.jpg (36.2 KB, 29 views)
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 21:44   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

Switch body is earthed to the chassis, must be metal to metal. This is the earth wire of the interior light. Plunger in/door shut = open circuit. Plunger out/opened door circuit closed/ light on. Corrosion inside the swich can cause intermittant contact. Clean with contact cleaner and check continuity with a meter. Refit and the light should be on when the door is open providing the 3 way switch is in the correct position.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: