Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where to source a 144

Views : 792

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2010, 14:29   #1
learngolf

Default Where to source a 144

Hi all,

Would welcome any advice from Forum members on the following.

Apart from the Forums and E-bay, Loot, Gumtree etc, where have you found useful in sourcing a good useable 144?

Being based in Ireland I have to rely on the computer generally to search for cars.

Many thanks.
learngolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 17:44   #2
Snowman
never knowingly slow

Suspect that's where most of them will be lurking although I heard about mine through word of mouth....just lucky I guess.

You could always post a wanted on the forum....apologies if you already have!
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 19:36   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

Smile 144 search

Hi and welcome.

I guess you're looking for a project / weekend car, rather than a daily driver?

I'm on the lookout too for either a nice 144, 164 or 244/240 or 264, and it's a matter of luck I think.

I keep an eye on here, on E-bay, on carandclassic.co.uk, on autotrader.co.uk, gumtree, pistonheads, desperateseller and classiccarsforsale.co.uk. Also worth a look at the Volvo Enthusiasts Club website, although it doesn't get updated very often!

I have tried placing a wanted ad here and there, but to be honest, you tend only to get approached by people with cars for sale that you'd not really want to buy!

You need to keep a clear idea of what you want in terms of price, model and spec etc, but at the same time be prepared to be a bit flexible. For me, I'd settle for a manual 144 or 164, or an auto 2.3 240. I've had experience of Volvos with the BW35 gearbox - and they are not the best to drive in modern traffic, where as the later autoboxes are fine.

I've also learned a lot about the subtext of the ads, and quite frequently you see the same cars resurface several times over in different places as the subsequent owners realise their mistake!

It can get frustrating, and once or twice I've almost bought a car 'on the rebound' from a recent disappointment. What is also maddening is the appearance on here of a 'new member' with a car to sell who then turns out to be impossible to contact. The other frustration is the ebay 10-day listing that mysteriously ends after only a day or two.

I think the best advice I can give is to take your time, be patient and to keep your eyes open and wits sharp!

Good luck with the search!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 23:05   #4
scooters

I'm selling my one:
ebay item:

let me know if you are interested - looking for around the £700 mark.
scooters is offline   Reply With Quote