Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel tuning box

Views : 2869

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2013, 08:55   #1
swt61

Default Diesel tuning box

HI All,

I have bought a Diesel express tuning box for my 2.4D But it was second hand and has no instructions.

Does anyone here have one of these that I could possibly have a copy of

the instructions please,

Thanks,

Simon
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 16:12   #2
Model flyer
Master Member

Hi Why was it sold secondhand ? My son fitted one to his 2003 D5 and it was brilliant and was sold with car. He bought a new one for his 2009 2.4 D and what ever he did it kept going to limp mode . Beware.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 19:55   #3
jp11

I've been using a Diesel Express on my S60 D5. It's good. If you unscrew the end plate there's a row of 8 or 9 little switches, just choose which one you want (I kept mine on #4). To fit, pull off the plug at the left hand end of the fuel rail (just to the right of the swirl arm motor), plug in the box and connect the original plug to the small tail on the box. I just laid the box on the panel above the intercooler, behind the bonnet closing panel.
Definite increase in urge. I keep detailed fuel consumption records - I got about 1mpg increase over my weekly 600 miles.
jp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 19:58   #4
jp11

I should add that, when I removed it for the first time last week, I got an error code "engine system service required", which remained when I tried plugging it in again. No limp mode and performance fine. But it disappeared again after a day.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 00:31   #5
swt61

Thanks for the replies,
The guy who sold it yo me had his car stripped,
Mine is on a new shape 56 plate 2.4d Geartronic .
It's set on number 8 as the previous owner had his set on this.
Seems more throttle responsive and so far some small increase on mpg.
I would really like to experiment with the other settings but really would like the instructions for the different settings
Regards

Simon
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 09:39   #6
GrantA
Master Member

A couple of years back I fitted a similar bit of kit to my Mercedes C220 CDI and it immediately went into fault code, took it off but fault code remained and I ended up taking car to main stealer to remove code and reset engine management system. The Service Manager said he recognised that I had fitted (and removed) an "unauthorised performance device" and warned me that it would affect my insurance if I fitted it again and got it to work. I couldn't understand how he knew what I had fitted, he said it left an "imprint" on the car's computer system but I think he was only guessing.

This happened when we lived in France and I am not sure if it would show on a Volvo computer but the bit about it affecting the insurance is valid, same as if you remap the ECU.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 21:52   #7
jp11

Quote:
Originally Posted by swt61 View Post
Thanks for the replies,
The guy who sold it yo me had his car stripped,
Mine is on a new shape 56 plate 2.4d Geartronic .
It's set on number 8 as the previous owner had his set on this.
Seems more throttle responsive and so far some small increase on mpg.
I would really like to experiment with the other settings but really would like the instructions for the different settings
Regards

Simon
Instructions for the settings: just a row of little switches, toggle them with a terminal screwdriver or ballpoint pen. As to the results or consequences of each switch, who knows the secrets of the blackmagic box....
Insurance implications: most of the remarks are probably correct. I kept mine within easy reach in case it had to be removed!
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 10:51   #8
swt61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp11 View Post
Instructions for the settings: just a row of little switches, toggle them with a terminal screwdriver or ballpoint pen. As to the results or consequences of each switch, who knows the secrets of the blackmagic box....
Insurance implications: most of the remarks are probably correct. I kept mine within easy reach in case it had to be removed!
in the instructions would it not show what each setting does ?

Thanks,

Si
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 14:23   #9
jp11

I've never had instructions, but I'm guessing not. Try some of the settings and see what you get. It will give you more urge at different rev ranges. I'm lead to believe that different settings will give you extra fuelling at different revs, so, preventing the need for extra revs to get the performance you want and therefore achieving better fuel consumption. I did get very slightly better mpg, but the extra urge is difficult to ignore so you get to like it and fuel consumption gets forgotten...
Many people poo poo these boxes. I don't know. They seem to work.
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 17:47   #10
rnlisg

Question chips

most of these come with the std mode for your year and model,and when buying new they ask for all relevant info so they can set it.you then have the option to turn it up or down,a freind put on on his renault,in std mode it was fine,better all round,then he started messing around with it(ie putting it on max)and that was when the trouble started,lumpy,smoky etc plus a warning light,he took it off reset it to std then all was and is well.so if i were you i would put it back to the middle setting and see how it goes.
sandy
rnlisg is offline   Reply With Quote