Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

small spare wheel - what a nightmare

Views : 1818

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2013, 12:21   #11
Andy Northface
Where's that 18mm socket?

Of course,what I meant was I'd rather have a spacesaver than nothing at all. I would sacrifice boot space too,If I had to.
Andy Northface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 14:19   #12
MikePL01

I’d always rather have a full size spare wheel available, but it’s not always the answer.

A few weeks ago I got home from work to find a flat tyre on my Polo (luckily not the Volvo!) which was parked on the drive. No problem. I thought, I’ll just swap it for the (full sized) spare. Undid the wheel nuts and jacked it up with no problem. BUT, have had this car since new (18 months) and still on original tyres. The wheels have never been off. No matter what I did I could not release the wheel from the hub. Even tried lowering the jack to use the weight of the car on the unsecured wheel to try and break the hold. No luck. In the end I put the when nuts back and had to phone breakdown assistance.

Now all this happened in the “comfort” of my own drive (although it was about -5 at the time). Had this been on the side of a motorway at night, I would have far rather had a can of goo available and will now be getting one for both cars.

Obviously, the ideal solution is both a can of goo, to hopefully get you to a safe location and then a full sized spare to keep you going until you can replace the tyre.
MikePL01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikePL01 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 15:21   #13
clivea
clivea

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithjeb View Post
Just playing devils advocate, on an XC90 , the volume of each wheel is (give or take) 50 litres (21" diameter with tyres, 225 width). Parkers list the boot volume as 250l.

Would you rather a space saver or 20% less boot space - probably more as you'd need to raise the floor a lot. Not to mention the additional weight.
Running a space saver is a pain in the ass, but at least it works and in all likely hood you're only going to need it once every 5 or 6 years for 20 minutes or so.
Not all of us drive in cities, there are many places that we go to here and abroad and 20 minutes gets you nowhere were you can find a tyre repair agency/depot. The car is used primarily for towing and long trips and only finds itself in a city if we are lost!

April 2014 Subaru Forester XE Lineatronic.
2010-April 2014 XC70 SE Premium 205ps D5 Geartronic AWD 2010MY Oyster Grey
clivea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 15:09   #14
keithjeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivea View Post
Not all of us drive in cities, there are many places that we go to here and abroad and 20 minutes gets you nowhere were you can find a tyre repair agency/depot. The car is used primarily for towing and long trips and only finds itself in a city if we are lost!
Even so, I'd be very surprised if there are many places in the country more than 50 miles away from a tyre depot, although not to say they'd be open of course.

Surely if you're primarily towing a spare in the caravan/bolted to the side of the horsebox etc is a decent solution?
keithjeb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keithjeb For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 10:26   #15
tt82
Forum Support Team

Well my setup is I have 2 cans of goo and the space saver.

I'm not sure what I actually would do in the case of a puncture? I leaning towards just throwing the goo in first and if that fails then put the space saver on. I know both solutions are claimes ad as being "50mph and 50 mile max distance temporary get you to the nearest tyre place" solutions but I once put the goo in my rear motorbike tyre and was doing 100mph an hour later. I also left it in till I changed the tyre some 1,000+ miles later.

Has anybody used the goo in a car tyre and whats your experience? I know tyre fitters say the tyre can't be repaired once the goo is in buts just because they can't be bothered cleaning it off to do the repair.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:52   #16
clivea
clivea

Carrying a car spare as well as a caravan spare makes inroads into a pretty low caravan payload. The car is fully loaded with dogs and the caravan awning,heavy stuff already. So my approach would be goo first if the puncture hasn't affected the sidewalls or is too large for the goo to fix.

If you look at the Continental website you will see that their tyre sealant is good for 125 miles at 50mph. However there are tyres called Contiseal which have the sealant already within the tyre. These are designed to seal a 5mm puncture. So assuming you were driving between London and Glasgow and picked up your puncture at Marble Arch I guess the first tyre check would be somewhere near to Stoke! Then at regular 125 mile intervals thereafter. So given this would not be practicable I assume the Contiseal tyres are really saying that you can drive between weekly checks without hazard. Given that my bike tyres have goo in them and I regularly ride with several 'sealed' punctures visible when the local farmers have been hedge trimming I am quite confident using sealant in the car at 50mph for a day's drive, or until I can find a repair agency. I also always carry the Continental tech spec for how to deal with sealant in a tyre as most major chains now deal with kit rather than writing off the tyre.

April 2014 Subaru Forester XE Lineatronic.
2010-April 2014 XC70 SE Premium 205ps D5 Geartronic AWD 2010MY Oyster Grey
clivea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 18:57   #17
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePL01 View Post
A few weeks ago I got home from work to find a flat tyre on my Polo (luckily not the Volvo!) which was parked on the drive. No problem. I thought, I’ll just swap it for the (full sized) spare. Undid the wheel nuts and jacked it up with no problem. BUT, have had this car since new (18 months) and still on original tyres. The wheels have never been off. No matter what I did I could not release the wheel from the hub. Even tried lowering the jack to use the weight of the car on the unsecured wheel to try and break the hold. No luck. In the end I put the when nuts back and had to phone breakdown assistance.
A bit late for you now however, if this should happen again, you should find that loosening the bolts before rolling the car back and forth a couple of foot should be sufficient to free the wheel from the hub. Failing that, a gentle drive around the block with loose nuts would sort it out - just make sure that you driving slowly and not too far, you don't want to risk the bolts undoing fully and the wheel spinning off.
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to St Evelyn For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 22:31   #18
Thorium

Had to use the bottle of latex last night when I got a large screw in the front off-side tyre. I wasn't convinced it was going to work initially, as the goo was coming out of the tyre where the screw was and the weather was cold (-2°C). Eventually it inflated and did allow me to get the 13 or so miles home. The tyre was still inflated this morning and allowed me to drive to the nearest garage. As I suspected it was beyond repair and the next problem was finding a tyre the right size (235/50/R18 in my case), and there aren't many of them about. Personally, I'd much rather have a full-size spare as just because the goo will get you to a garage, unless they have your size in stock you've had it! Interestingly, the fitter showed me the old tyre and the majority of the latex was still liquid inside the tyre.
Thorium is offline   Reply With Quote