Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

small spare wheel - what a nightmare

Views : 1816

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2013, 20:41   #1
JonnyA

Default small spare wheel - what a nightmare

Not really wanting to start a big thread - just needed to vent...

damaged a rear tyre the other night - instant flat.
fortunately have a space saver spare and had that on in less than 10mins.

limited speed not an issue the roads round here, but what got me was that every time I accelerated, hit a bump or anything else the DSTC warning came on. to make it worse on every bend it came on and then cut the power till i'd got down to about 15mph and would only go again if i lifted off and then had it a fit when accelerating again.

what on earth are volvo (and the rest of them doing) supplying these half sized bits of rubbish? suppose i should be gratefull i've got one at all rather than the squirt can.
not sure where their 1 puncture in 20yrs comes from - i've had at least five in 3 yrs, 3 of those with sidewall damage....

rant over
thanks for listening
JonnyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 21:07   #2
TimS

Yes, they're not good at all. I had to put my skinny spare on the LH front last year, just to go a couple of miles in traffic. Nasty, & going round a roundabout felt like the car was on the point of sliding. Really wouldn't want to do many miles on one, or with a lot of weight.

Better than a can of snot, though.

Tim.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 21:23   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

Sounds like a right nightmare.

I think given the option of a small spare wheel which will cause a multitude of problems or the can of snot, I'd take the can of snot, pout it in the verge and use my RAC membership to get towed to a tyre fitters.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 13:07   #4
JonnyA

Big draw back the the 'can of snot' is that with side wall damage you are immobilised.
Even if recovered the chances of the tyre place (assuming its open) having the right tyre in stock is pretty close to zero.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 13:57   #5
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Does anyone have experience of storing a full size spare in the boot?

Not an owner of one of these cars yet - my new V70 is on order - and I have not ordered a spare wheel. The P11D value of the car is right on the brink of my company car allowance. I plan to get a tempa spare wheel on Ebay or something similar, but even better, if I can get a full size spare in there, I'll buy another wheel
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 14:51   #6
tt82
Forum Support Team

I have a load tray under my floor and it's possible if that was removed or modified then you might be able to fit a full size spare.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 22:01   #7
clivea
clivea

Smile

I couldn't believe that the space saver on my XC70 is about 2 inch less on diameter than the normal wheels. I fitted it the other week when a valve leaked but fortunately the car was on the drive. It looked absolutely bizarre with the front near side noticeably down in height. Can't fit a full size in the well given the diameter difference. Given a tread puncture ill use snot as it would give far more miles driving than the space saver. If a tyre dealer wasn't prepared to repair the tyre I would take away clean it and use it as a back up.

April 2014 Subaru Forester XE Lineatronic.
2010-April 2014 XC70 SE Premium 205ps D5 Geartronic AWD 2010MY Oyster Grey
clivea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 10:15   #8
JonnyA

As clivea says the full size wheel tyre combo is too large a diameter to fit into the well under the floor, even when deflated its too rigid to push in.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 11:02   #9
Andy Northface
Where's that 18mm socket?

I've said this before,but Its a disgrace that manufacturers aren't supplying a full size spare now..I bought from a breaker a full size steel wheel for my 2001 S80 for £20. I'm lucky it fits in the wheel well. If it didn't,I would carry it in the boot. I will not drive my car without a spare. I see too many people at the side of the motorways with a shredded tyre .

I understand that some people are happy to call the RAC/AA to change their wheels for whatever reason,which is fine by me. It is quicker if their is a spare wheel for them to change however than to drag the car to a tyre depot. IMO.
Andy Northface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 11:13   #10
keithjeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Northface View Post
I've said this before,but Its a disgrace that manufacturers aren't supplying a full size spare now..I bought from a breaker a full size steel wheel for my 2001 S80 for £20. I'm lucky it fits in the wheel well. If it didn't,I would carry it in the boot. I will not drive my car without a spare. I see too many people at the side of the motorways with a shredded tyre .

I understand that some people are happy to call the RAC/AA to change their wheels for whatever reason,which is fine by me. It is quicker if their is a spare wheel for them to change however than to drag the car to a tyre depot. IMO.
Just playing devils advocate, on an XC90 , the volume of each wheel is (give or take) 50 litres (21" diameter with tyres, 225 width). Parkers list the boot volume as 250l.

Would you rather a space saver or 20% less boot space - probably more as you'd need to raise the floor a lot. Not to mention the additional weight.
Running a space saver is a pain in the ass, but at least it works and in all likely hood you're only going to need it once every 5 or 6 years for 20 minutes or so.
keithjeb is offline   Reply With Quote