Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xenon Bulb Failure

Views : 6019

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2013, 10:35   #11
tt82
Forum Support Team

Yes, I have the Active Bending Lights (ABL) Bi-Xenon bulbs, the same as you Phil. I'm pretty certain the bulbs will be the same in both ABL and standard Xenon Units. As I said, my local deale quoted me £150 for just the bulb. Fitting should be a simple thing but I can imagine some dealers trying to chare ridiculous amounts for fitting as well.

It very much seems like you have the same issue as me and that at least one of your bulbs is out. The bulb is a D2R, apparently the Volvo OEM bulbs are made by philips and their part number is 85122.

Once I have recieved my new bulbs and changed them I will post a guide on how to do it.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 10:41   #12
tt82
Forum Support Team

WARNING

The D2S bulb will not fit in a 2009 V70 Bi-Xenon ABL headlight. I have just ordered bulbs from Rufe and will post their type once they have arrived.

At the moment I believe the right bulbs are D1S which has a phillips part number of 85415, but I will confirm once the OEM bulbs have arrived from Volvo.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 15:52   #13
Phil Russell

All this only confirms my view that there is much confusion out there. I note that the manual for my 58 plate XC70 does not specify bulb type for the active bi-xenons.
I have seen the excellent guide in the Volvo Driver magazine that describes how to remove the Gen3 headlamp unit and have written to them suggesting that a definitive list of bulb types is published. I believe they are acting upon my request.
Cheers, Phil
Phil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil Russell For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 16:00   #14
tt82
Forum Support Team

Yeah, theres no mention of a bulb type in my manual, very disappointing. I also noticed that it doesn't cover changing the reverse or rear foglight bulb either! My V40 had only a fog light on one side, though it was a relatively easy mod to make both sides work. Was hoping to do the same on the V70.

The good news is that changing a Xenon bulb isn't anymore complicated than changing a normal halogen bulb.

Old Feb 19th, 2013, 16:46   #15
tt82
Forum Support Team

Well the bulbs arrived at my house today, so I hopefuly will be able to change them when I get home. I should then be able to do a "How to...." guide with the correct bulb information.

Old Feb 19th, 2013, 22:56   #16
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

The Bulb cross references to a D1S not a D2S

can be had from Ebay for a tenner a pop

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Bulbs-LEDs...kw=D1S&_sop=15

I'm assuming its correct, if images look correct, may be worth buying a couple of spares, see how the go.

Last edited by cookie; Feb 19th, 2013 at 22:59.
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 13:09   #17
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

Am I going mad, you posted you needed a D1S then ordered a D2S that amazingly didnt fit, same as trying to fit 19" tyres on 17" rims then when they dont fit wonder why? Or have I missed something!
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 13:23   #18
tt82
Forum Support Team

Not exactly Ben. The Volvo manual doesn't state what bulb the ABL B-Xenon light takes. Certain websites I've used for bulbs previously also wouldn't list the type of bulb. I tried ebay and found that result. Given how notoriously accurate ebay listings can be I disregarded it and went with what other people with Xenon bulbs had used. The info is very scarce and I have a felling an ordinary Bi-Xenon light might not use the same bulb as an ABL Bi-Xenon.

In retrospect I should have just pulled the damn headlight unit out and looked inside to see what was fitted. Advice I would now give anyone else wondering what bulbs they need.

Old Feb 20th, 2013, 19:57   #19
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Not exactly Ben. The Volvo manual doesn't state what bulb the ABL B-Xenon light takes. Certain websites I've used for bulbs previously also wouldn't list the type of bulb. I tried ebay and found that result. Given how notoriously accurate ebay listings can be I disregarded it and went with what other people with Xenon bulbs had used. The info is very scarce and I have a felling an ordinary Bi-Xenon light might not use the same bulb as an ABL Bi-Xenon.

In retrospect I should have just pulled the damn headlight unit out and looked inside to see what was fitted. Advice I would now give anyone else wondering what bulbs they need.
According to Vida as far as I can see, Bulb for yours is Pt No 30763954

which should look same as

have you taken a picture of bulb, the D1S's seem to be the favourite replacing the D2 format (R or S depending on if headlights are reflector or projector)

Picture of failed bulb, and any writing/detail printed on it would be handy for future reference for others, not trying to be akward, but I'd do a serious amount of research b4 parting with 20 quid for a bulb, let alone 100+ IMHO its going to be a generic bulb of some form, as there are a very limited amount of bulb manufacturers world wide, and cost prohibitive to even Volvo to have a specially made bulb, and they would probably say reason they won't say is due to avoiding injury to untrained person in trying to fit.

Does the bulb separate from holder?

That bulb is fitted in the Facelift S80 according to Vida, and same bulb listed as osram 66144, which is D1S

Last edited by cookie; Feb 20th, 2013 at 20:06.
The Following User Says Thank You to cookie For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 23:10   #20
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
According to Vida as far as I can see, Bulb for yours is Pt No 30763954

which should look same as

have you taken a picture of bulb, the D1S's seem to be the favourite replacing the D2 format (R or S depending on if headlights are reflector or projector)

Picture of failed bulb, and any writing/detail printed on it would be handy for future reference for others, not trying to be akward, but I'd do a serious amount of research b4 parting with 20 quid for a bulb, let alone 100+ IMHO its going to be a generic bulb of some form, as there are a very limited amount of bulb manufacturers world wide, and cost prohibitive to even Volvo to have a specially made bulb, and they would probably say reason they won't say is due to avoiding injury to untrained person in trying to fit.

Does the bulb separate from holder?

That bulb is fitted in the Facelift S80 according to Vida, and same bulb listed as osram 66144, which is D1S
I have been following this thread wondering what bi-xenons I have in my XC70 MY09 (they are non-active bi-xenon lights). Suppose I could take one of the headlights out and have a look but it is freezing outside and if you have VIDA handy cookie........... could you have a look and see what it says for my car - pretty please!!