Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xenon Bulb Failure

Views : 6017

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2013, 10:18   #1
tt82
Forum Support Team

Default Xenon Bulb Failure

Hi all

It looks as if I might have a failed Xenon dipped beam bulb and I'm now weighing up the options for replacing it. I need to check it is the bulb thats failed first and not the ballast so I'm considering swapping them over to check. Obviously theres a lot or warnings about the high voltage so anybody who's done this and has any advice, it would be appreciated.

The situation is that my N/S (passenger) dipped beam bulb has always had a purple tint to it while the O/S (driver) was just yellow. From what I could recall reading on this site, the purple tint was a sign that the bulb was on its way out. On Friday whilst driving the message
Quote:
Bulb Failure
Dipped Beam
came on the dash. I fully expected it to be the N/S bulb with the purple tint that had blown. I parked up, going about my business and when I returned to the car I started it up and looked at the bulbs to confirm which was out. To my surprise both were working! A little bemused I carried on and about 5 minutes into the trip the message came up on the dash again.

I eventually pulled over after the message had come on last night and saw it was the O/S bulb which was out, not what I was expecting. Neither is the fact that stopping and restarting the engine, or switching the lights to sidelight and back to on/DRL position made the light come back on again. Now I've no experience with Xenons but when a halogen bulb blows, it wont come back on again no matter what. Is this not the case for Xenon bulbs.

I've just phoned my local dealer for a price on a replacement bulb - £127.50 + VAT which works out at an eye watering £153 I currently can't get hold of Rufe at FRF to see what price they can do. It would seem that the general consensus is to change both to elimanate future problems with colour deiscepancies or bulb failure warnings, that would mean a £300 bill. Given the cars mileage, it would seem I'm getting to the life span of the bulbs so may have no choice but to replace both soon.

Whilst doing a bit of research on here, some people with other models have used aftermarked bulbs, so far without issues but I'm struggling to find bulbs suitable for mine. One site which was mentioned doesn't list bulbs for a Gen 3 V70 Xenon headlight. It would appear that others use a D2R where a google search for bulbs brings up ebay sales where the bulb is a D1S.

So I guess my questions are -
  1. Can anyone confirm that the symptoms I have a that of a failed Xenon dipped beam bulb?
  2. Has anybody any experience of changing a Xenon bulb themselves? (Hints/advice)
  3. Can anybody confirm wether the bulb is indeed a D1S, not a D2R?
  4. Has anybody used any non-Volvo aftermarket bulbs?

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 10:20   #2
tt82
Forum Support Team

It would seem that a quick ebay search has just answered question 3 and made it a little easier on my wallet to stay with genuine bulbs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Vo...item3cca96a2f1

Old Feb 9th, 2013, 18:50   #3
CJL
Master Member

Have a read of this thread.....

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=phillips+bulb

Must admit I'm new to the V70 so don't know about the bulbs, but you might just save a few pounds here.

Interested to hear how easy (safe) they are to change.
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 08:10   #4
DryDiver

Hi

Just this week I replaced the bulb in my wife's V50, quick 5 minute job and working perfectly.

I called the local Volvo dealer for a quote and got similar to you, when I looked on google I found standard Phillips bulbs for £50 or Xtreme vision for £75 from www.autolamps-online.com. The lady I spoke to was very helpful so have recommend them.

As a side note the Volvo dealer did tell me not to use Phillips bulbs as they are very poor quality and only use genuine Volvo bulbs, when I questioned why the original bulbs in my V70 and her V50 are both Phillips he spluttered and went very quiet.

Hope this helps.
DryDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 09:19   #5
tt82
Forum Support Team

Thanks for the advice guys. Just ordered 2 bulbs off fleabay for the sum of £50.

At that price they only have to last 1 year or about 15,000 miles to be better value than buying from Volvo.

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 09:23   #6
Cannondale

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. Just ordered 2 bulbs off fleabay for the sum of £50.

At that price they only have to last 1 year or about 15,000 miles to be better value than buying from Volvo.

I would be intrested in your thoughs about the Ebay bulbs once you get them fitted, I have a 2009 V70 with xenons as well and I am sure it will want the bulbs changing very soon.
Cannondale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 09:37   #7
tt82
Forum Support Team

These are the bulbs I've gone with - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Philip...81061752270%26 I would have prefered these - http://www.autolamps-online.com/prod...ight-New!.html - but money is tight at the moment. With me only buying the car 3 months ago, getting the car to how I want it - dog guard, boot liner and needing 4 tyres + me wanting winter tyres has already cost me a small fortune. I still need 2 summer tyres in spring so if these bulbs just make do for a short while then thats ok.

I will definately update on how I find them. Also gonna see if I can do a guide for changing the Xenon bulbs.

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 10:47   #8
Thanatos
VOC Member

When the bulbs start turning purple it's got to hot and is failing

Replace both at the same time because believe me they will go within a week of each other.
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 17:07   #9
CJL
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryDiver View Post
Just this week I replaced the bulb in my wife's V50, quick 5 minute job and working perfectly.

I called the local Volvo dealer for a quote and got similar to you, when I looked on google I found standard Phillips bulbs for £50 or Xtreme vision for £75
Was there much improvement over the origanal Volvo/Phillips bulbs?

Thanks.
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 10:17   #10
Phil Russell

More advice please: XC70 58 plate fitted with what I think are called 'bi-xenon' bulbs ... the lights on our car 'turn as the car does'.
Are the bulbs you mention above the same as ours? I remember being told bulbs are about £200 each! We sometimes get a 'Headlamp Failure' message come up ... most times it goes out pretty soon after starting, on a few occasions it has stayed on for all the journey (about 7 miles).
Cheers, Phil
Phil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote