Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar engine remap on V70 - what insurance companies?

Views : 5849

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2012, 20:57   #31
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollusk View Post
I think one has to be a little carefull in the UK, insurance seems to be regarded very differently here by providers than in many other countries.

We have to realise the original principal of insurance seems to no longer apply - certainly some years ago, and indeed in other markets now, an insurer will assess a genuine risk and charge a premium commensurate with that risk - often the the risk is presented by the driver, not the car and many changes are regarded as unimportant.

Now, in the UK, however the principal seems to be ruled by corporate greed, with swingeing annual increases for those foolish enough to display any loyalty. Any excuse is used as a reason to load premiums, and any excuse used to void claims. Most (if not all) insurers have departments set up specifically seek reasons to refuse claims - whist at the same time actively marketing your details to ambulance chasers and leeches. If you have a potentially sizeable claim reasons for non payment WILL be looked for, and yes, ECU mapping would be considered. I really do understand the temptation to "chip and be damned" but the consequences could be huge. A sympathetic ear is a concept unknown to the average insurer.

Not so very long ago I wished to fit a strut brace to the wife's C70 ragtop, at the time we were covered by Zurich via the "club recommended broker" - being sensible I checked first. To start with the "adviser" had absolutely no idea what I was talking about and simply said NO. I asked if I could explain to a real underwriter and was informed " if it's not on my screen we won't do it" Fortunately it was close to renewal and our "new" choice (NFU) had no problem.
(I was damned sure I got confirmation in writing first though).

In fairness i would not expect an adviser on the phone to know every modification possible it would be unfair but to be unhelpful is just silly.

As for any excuse to load premiums is not totally true LV do not charge for x1 none fault and windscreen claims so long as they are disclosed. As for having departments to "refuse claims" yes they do but would you want a false claim from someone who had lied on their insurance to affect your premium? In addition do no forget that through the points i have highlighted insurance is based on one thing honesty...

I have had a sympathetic ear from LV about my changes wheel colour changes, debadging and other small things that are removeable are fine so it can be done

Since then NFU went the way of them all (huge unwarranted increases for renewal, but not for new business) almost forcing you into changing each year.
Currently we have the XC70 with LV and are paying what I consider to be a reasonable premium - but I am expecting the same game at renewal.

LV are easy and if you know the right things to do you can get your premium down easily. Do an online new quote with them BEFORE it arrives and save it, when it arrives ensure all the details are the same ring them to renew and they SHOULD be able to alter it all ours are with LV saved £80 on my dads, saved £30 on my mums (despite a full on claim as she caused the incident that was well handled), and mine BEAT the online quote by £15. Remember price should not be the ONLY factor, LV are not the cheapest but most of the time are good on the phone, handling problems and issues and have good understanding.

Having had a good whinge I think it only fair to say that the "old ways" still seem to be extant in the world of "classic car insurance" I have had exemplary service from Footman James to the extent of adding a second 300 to my policy for a small admin fee - efficiently processed and giving effectively 2 cars covered for the price of one. Well done FJ!.

Many mainstream car insurers cannot mirror NCD though.Something that is not taken into account with classic policies.

Mollusk.
in post
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 21:07   #32
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaKaWi View Post
Admiral are actually pretty good for insuring all sorts of modifications.
Shame the rest of their policy is somewhat harsher than others though...declaration wise (SAC not just points and there are another few oddities with them - last time i looked they wanted £200 just to simply go to your own accident repair centre rather than their own!)

Last edited by Ninja59; Nov 24th, 2012 at 21:09.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 14:58   #33
harryd

Default Polestar disclosure

Just tell them. It's only about £40.
Plus, if you get it written off, they will replace (if cover allows) like for like, If not mentioned you wont get.
Direct Line and Churchill (same company really) both provide such cover, for me at least.
Just declare it and rest easy. At least that way you can stick the badge on!
harryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 19:58   #34
harryd

Default Important Polestar warranty info.

Link to another related thread.
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 22:38   #35
Lewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantA View Post
Of course it is illegal to make such recommendations but how many people on this Forum (and other Forums) have also recommended changing from 18" wheels to 16" for more comfort or the other way round. Perhaps one should change the brake pads from "everyday street pads" to "track day harder pads" if you drive fast all the time. The point I am making is that many people innocently change the spec of their vehicle without any thought for the implications to their insurance policy. If insurance assessors are hell bent on finding fault with a vehicle following an accident then they probably will find something if they take into account tyre sizes, lowered suspension, tinted windows, upgraded brakes etc - anything that was not original equipment and could be a factor in why the vehicle was in an accident in the first place even if the item was an improvement on original equipment.

It would be a very boring world if we all drove round in bog-standard vehicles that were just as they came off the production line. Also it is human nature to take a try and buck the system now and again even it is only fitting LED lights where the original were candescent lights.
Think someone called Chris Huhne tried to 'buck the system'
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 07:15   #36
harryd

Yup.
Another thing to bear in mind is that regardless of how responsible you are in otherways, there will be some b**ger out there that will ruin your day.

Imagine driving along in your modified car and that you are NOT taking advantage of the modification, simply toodling along at 30mph and some "off shore" driver slams into you at 50+

Now then, Mr Bobby Blue is not simply going to look at the strangely registered left hooker, he is going to look at ALL possible factors and therefore this could well involve a deeper investigation than one may expect.

The revelation that you have an undeclared mod will adversley affect you.

How about this then as a closing example.?.....

You are driving home and are ever so slightly over the drink drive limit. That is a very naughty thing to do and we should never do this, but it's a lovely night and for the purposes of this example there is no way on earth that you are going to have a prang. There is only one other car out and it's driven by another drunkard! It hits you and you both go spinning about dropping various parts from your vehicles. The other driver is totally to blame in all other respects as despite your intoxication, you were in all other respects not contributory to the prang.
Despite your innocence otherwise, it is revealed at the roadside that you are over the limit so you get nicked.
You were breaking the law but would in all probability would have made it home safely save for the intervention of the unknown element.

The unknown element has led to all other factors being examined.

Always consider that there are total idiots out there on the roads determined to have fun at other peoples expense and for that reason, it's best to cover your rear end!
56 XC70 D5 (185 remapped to 218) G'tronic SE - Past
04 V70 D5 (163) Manual SE totally standard- Past