Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear brake pipes - the full monty

Views : 1004

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2013, 20:02   #1
catflem
Master Member

Default Rear brake pipes - the full monty

I'm going to have to replace the rear brake pipe and hose (passenger side) on my 1999 tdi from the abs pump all the way through to the caliper.

Having never made up[ brake pipes from scratch I've had a quick search of the forum and would be grateful if you could confirm the following parts are what is needed.

I intend to buy a 25ft length of brake pipe from Halfords

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255228

I'll also need the unions to connect the pipe to the rear flexi hose and caliper - but I believe I have to re-use the union from the car for the abs pump......... luckily its the only union that wasn't completely rounded off !

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10151

I also intend to pick up a rear brake hose from Eurocarparts
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Vo...82902d1&000030

Presumably these should all be compatible with each other, and apart from the abs union everything else is standard.

Cheers
Old May 29th, 2013, 22:31   #2
hjdlatd

You will of course also need a brake pipe flaring kit.
hjdlatd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hjdlatd For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:07   #3
catflem
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjdlatd View Post
You will of course also need a brake pipe flaring kit.
Yep, got that covered - I'll be loaning one from a mate.
Old May 30th, 2013, 12:20   #4
Galaxie390

Hi,

Make sure you double flare the pipe. Sounds obvious, but I've seen some not bother to do this.......I won't be getting in those cars !

Cheers,

Rich
Galaxie390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 17:36   #5
catflem
Master Member

Thanks for the heads up Rich - I'll be doing plenty of reading up on the techniques involved, and will be practicing on the old pipe before I start on the new pipe.

I went to my mates house to pick up his brake flaring kit, only to find that he's lost the 3/8ths die !. So I popped along to my local car spares shop and as I was about to buy myself a new kit I casually mentioned my mates missing die........ when lo and behold, they had a spare die available :-).
Old May 30th, 2013, 22:51   #6
timpy

Use a good quality brake pipe spanner. I did some rear pipes and flexi on my 850, needed to as RHR caliper connection wouldn't undo. I ended up rounding it off, then chewed up the connection on the flexi before I got a proper spanner, I ended up with a snap-on brake spanner second hand from e-bay that did the rest no problem. I think it was 11mm rather than 3/8 though but it was perfect

Tha caliper connection I chewed up I never got undone even off the car, fortunately the caliper was scrap anyway.

I got my brake pipes made up at a local motor factors with flares and fittings. Took the old ones in and they used them for length, but I bent them to shape.

Good luck with it.

What's a double flare by the way and how do you spot it? The ones I fitted had ends made identical to the ones that came off which I deemed to be good enough. They were also properly de-burred, I have seen replacement pipes with sharp bits around the opening after flaring.
timpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:46   #7
catflem
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpy View Post
Use a good quality brake pipe spanner. I did some rear pipes and flexi on my 850, needed to as RHR caliper connection wouldn't undo. I ended up rounding it off, then chewed up the connection on the flexi before I got a proper spanner, I ended up with a snap-on brake spanner second hand from e-bay that did the rest no problem. I think it was 11mm rather than 3/8 though but it was perfect

Tha caliper connection I chewed up I never got undone even off the car, fortunately the caliper was scrap anyway.

I got my brake pipes made up at a local motor factors with flares and fittings. Took the old ones in and they used them for length, but I bent them to shape.

Good luck with it.

What's a double flare by the way and how do you spot it? The ones I fitted had ends made identical to the ones that came off which I deemed to be good enough. They were also properly de-burred, I have seen replacement pipes with sharp bits around the opening after flaring.
Every joint was completely fubarred (someone had obviously had a pop at it before) so I've had to go back all the way to the abs union as that was the only one that was undoable even with a flared brake spanner.

The nearest car factors who are able to make up brake lines are 45 miles away and want £3.50 per foot !. As its the rear break line that would work out at about £35 to £40 - so I thought sod em, I'll do it myself.

I've assembled most of the bits and pieces needed, I'm just awaiting the arrival of the flexible hose today before I venture out and set about it.

There's a handy video on You tube I'll be following - I will be using some lube though (on the pipe I hasten to add :-) ). He explains how to do a double flare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNePrGR1D-s

Last edited by catflem; May 31st, 2013 at 08:54.
catflem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to catflem For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2013, 09:46   #8
weedeno belfast
weedeno 2003 v70 d5 se

Default why not buy everything outa euro

euro carparts have all the stuff you will need and should be a more competive price (if halfords stuff is cheaper tell him) they will drop prices to get custom just a hint always cheak the uinions screw in to each end and get copper pipe not kuinfer it is a bi*** to bend copper is easy and just give them a coat of black to stop the pipes from goin that god awful green coulour gd luck and take your time you will be fine
weedeno belfast is offline   Reply With Quote