Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear seat entertainment system XC90

Views : 35255

Replies : 170

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old May 14th, 2010, 13:54   #1
tabber

Hi elliot2,

About to order a new XC90, so would be very interested in your quotes for both the alternative satnav, and RSE, Incl. fitting of both of these. (Separately, and any discount for both together pls).

Also, some details on the spec of them, e.g. is the satnav a touchscreen, and does it popup like the inbuilt one. Does it have bluetooth, cover europe, do traffic, can it have maps updated etc. Is the RSE one bigger screen on the roof? Where does the dvd unit sit, can it be connected to the rear headphone sockets if fitted, or does it have IR headphones, and can you then still use the stereo up front separately etc. etc.

I tried to PM you, but dont have 30 posts yet, so cant.

Thanks in advance,

tabber
Old May 15th, 2010, 09:44   #2
glynogwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabber View Post
Hi elliot2,

About to order a new XC90, so would be very interested in your quotes for both the alternative satnav, and RSE, Incl. fitting of both of these. (Separately, and any discount for both together pls).

Also, some details on the spec of them, e.g. is the satnav a touchscreen, and does it popup like the inbuilt one. Does it have bluetooth, cover europe, do traffic, can it have maps updated etc. Is the RSE one bigger screen on the roof? Where does the dvd unit sit, can it be connected to the rear headphone sockets if fitted, or does it have IR headphones, and can you then still use the stereo up front separately etc. etc.

Thanks in advance,

tabber
Hello this is also pretty much the info i am after also.

thanks
keith
Old May 16th, 2010, 20:57   #3
wavester

Hi Elliot2
you are clearly a man in demand and come highly recommended.
I wonder if you can help.
I have just bought a 53 plate XC90 with built in RSE system. Thes screens power up but when i load DVD's nothing happens. The Remote doesn't seem to turn the power on( i've tried a new battery). Is the next step to replace the remote, if so can you supply?
thanks
Old May 17th, 2010, 23:26   #4
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

The remote has to point at just the right spot otherwise the player won't turn on. I think it's low down under the radio about gear lever hight I think. I also think the gear lever can block the infared from the remote just to make it a bit more confusing. Also make sure the black buttons havent been switched to the playstation output.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 20:15   #5
XCF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabber View Post
Hi elliot2,

Thanks in advance,

tabber

Hi,

I have had Peter (Elliot2) install Sat Nav and DVD / rears screens in my XC90 so can answer some of your questions...

Sat Nav is touchscreen and so far I am very pleased with it and the system is working very well ( have tried it in the UK and Europe)
It pops up like the Volvo screen and is the same size so it looks just like the Volvo screen.
It doesn't have bluetooth (would have been nice)
It does cover Europe ( western)
It doesn't do traffic yet though Peter says this should be available via update in future ( device SW appears to offer support for TMC)
Maps can be updated (SD card)

You can chose to have the sound via front speakers on a mute relay (like bluetooth phone etc) or as I did via a speaker under the sat nav screen and given the location I can hear it fine over the radio. It also avoids the sat nav cutting in / out and muting the speakers if the children are listening to DVD via car speakers.

Screen pops up / down on ignition, but there is also a remote to lower the screen manually. Peter also connected the screen to the DVD player so I can see what's on the rear headrest screens (obviously only when stationary).

The screen also has a connection for rear view camera (will switch to this automatically).

The satnav device also allows music / video to be played directly through it ( via SD Card or via USB connection) though I haven't tried this.

Ref the DVD/ screens. These are headrest mounted screens. I have 7 inch screens but Peter also supplies smaller (5.8inch ) screens that he originally supplied and fitted for Volvo into XC90s.

The DVD player is in the glovebox. The sound can be connected to the aux in - so can they be picked up via the rear seat headphone sockets, but the screens output the sound via IR and Peter supplies two pairs of IR folding headphones (batteries last ages) so I wouldn't imagine that you'd ever need to use the headphone sockets.

If you use the IR headphones then you can use the radio up front , though if you use the aux in and divert the sound via rear speakers instead of using the headphones then you can't have radio on as well ( understandably).

Hope this helps...
The Following User Says Thank You to XCF For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 17:38   #6
XCF
Master Member

Just an update to say I also now have speedcamera data on for UK and Europe working on the Sat Nav that Peter installed for me.
The camera icons appear on the map and the sat nav will warn you verbally when approaching a camera and also shows you the speed limit for the camera on the screen.

The Sat Nav also shows the speed limit for the roads you are on, and you can set it to remind you when you are over the speed limit if you want.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 10:46   #7
the_spudster

Default XC90 Roof screen install

Hi Peter
Just wondering if you can help.
I am wondering if it is still possible to fit a roof mounted screen to a 2005 XC90 that is fitted with a factory sunroof.
What are the options for audio?
Mine has the Premium Pack fitted.
Can you supply bracketry and wiring looms for owner install?
I have a Necvox 8" 16:9 motorised screen with dvd built in from my previous car and wondered if it could be fitted?

Can you work in the West London area?

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Simon
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 22:28   #8
Joe2086

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCF View Post
Hi,

I have had Peter (Elliot2) install Sat Nav and DVD / rears screens in my XC90 so can answer some of your questions...

Sat Nav is touchscreen and so far I am very pleased with it and the system is working very well ( have tried it in the UK and Europe)
It pops up like the Volvo screen and is the same size so it looks just like the Volvo screen.
It doesn't have bluetooth (would have been nice)
It does cover Europe ( western)
It doesn't do traffic yet though Peter says this should be available via update in future ( device SW appears to offer support for TMC)
Maps can be updated (SD card)

You can chose to have the sound via front speakers on a mute relay (like bluetooth phone etc) or as I did via a speaker under the sat nav screen and given the location I can hear it fine over the radio. It also avoids the sat nav cutting in / out and muting the speakers if the children are listening to DVD via car speakers.

Screen pops up / down on ignition, but there is also a remote to lower the screen manually. Peter also connected the screen to the DVD player so I can see what's on the rear headrest screens (obviously only when stationary).

The screen also has a connection for rear view camera (will switch to this automatically).

The satnav device also allows music / video to be played directly through it ( via SD Card or via USB connection) though I haven't tried this.

Ref the DVD/ screens. These are headrest mounted screens. I have 7 inch screens but Peter also supplies smaller (5.8inch ) screens that he originally supplied and fitted for Volvo into XC90s.

The DVD player is in the glovebox. The sound can be connected to the aux in - so can they be picked up via the rear seat headphone sockets, but the screens output the sound via IR and Peter supplies two pairs of IR folding headphones (batteries last ages) so I wouldn't imagine that you'd ever need to use the headphone sockets.

If you use the IR headphones then you can use the radio up front , though if you use the aux in and divert the sound via rear speakers instead of using the headphones then you can't have radio on as well ( understandably).

Hope this helps...
Thanks for the info regarding your System. Just about to buy our first XC90. Would love to know the cost of the Satnav and DVD via head rests. Based in Guildford, Surrey.

Peter can you PM me with a quote.

Thanks

Joe
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 00:41   #9
Jimmyjenas

Hi Peter. I'm picking up an xc90 active and would like a quote to supply and fit rear seat entertainment and also sat nav please. Kind regards...
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 17:57   #10
elliott2
Trader

Default Rse

Have sent PM's thanks
Closed Thread