Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do any 850's not have a passenger air bag

Views : 1412

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 18:20   #1
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Default Do any 850's not have a passenger air bag

Can anyone advise me as to whether prior to a particular date the 850 did NOT have a dashboard mounted passenger side air bag as standard.

The reason, as I'm sure you will have guessed, is that we have two children, one still in a rear facing seat and we are looking to replace my wife's car with a volvo, either 940 or 850.

My trusty old 740, obviously, doesn't have this to deal with.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks for looking at my post.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 18:37   #2
dr dolittle

Default RE: Do any 850's not have a passenger air b

Mine's a 94 T5 and doesn't have a passenger airbag - though it does have anchor points (front and rear) for a Volvo child seat, so it may have been specced this way when first purchased.

Anyone know when and why Volvo changed from 4-point to 5-point harnesses in their rear facing child seats? Mine's 4-point and I wonder if safety is compromised at all ?

Steve
Old Oct 7th, 2002, 19:22   #3
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

My '96 T5CD does not have the passenger air bag, I think it was an added cost option for all 850's, at least in the UK.
However, it can be disconnected dispite what Volvo may say.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2002, 19:39   #4
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Thanks yr comments. Is the disconnection a relatively easy task, ie head under the dashboard and disconnect wiring, or more complex.

Oh, and also, is it a two way thing, so that we could re-activate as and when we cease using a rear-facing child seat?

Thanks
Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:39   #5
Mav_UK

Depending on the design of the child seat a 4 point should not be any less safe - the 5th point is generally used for anti submarine purposes (sliding under the belt) and I would guess that the child seat compensates for this. When fitting harnesses to my Spit (not child seat I admit) I was actually advised against 5 point harnesses dues to the pain / injuries they can cause if the seat isn't designed for them (singing supronoe etc).

If in doubt get it checked out by someone you trust on both their knowledge of the parts, and who you are sure won't rip you off (using teh simple, of course you need this new one sir, that'll be XXXgbp please).

Laters

Stu
Old Oct 8th, 2002, 12:34   #6
Dave_G

I have a 94 T5 which also doesn't have the passenger air bag, but like you I looked for this specifically. Mothercare don't recommend placing a rear facing seat in the front even if the air bag can be disarmed, as all they do is disconnect the sensor, so there is still the possibility of the explosion going off!! Also be aware that the seat belts are very short and not all seats will fit. Volvo sell longer belts at a price or you could try Securon who make seatbelts and are much cheaper. Securon also don't recommend using seat belt extenders with child seats. Hope this helps.

Dave
Old Oct 8th, 2002, 16:01   #7
volvo850t5

I have a late 94 T5 which doesn't have a passenger airbag. It does have pyrotechnic seat belts as I found out when pricing longer ones to fit a rear facing car seat (around £200 fitted).
Instead I went to Halfords and found one to fit straight away.
I now have a forward facing seat which fitted with no problems.
The seats are there you just need to look.

hope this helps also
Old Oct 8th, 2002, 19:15   #8
KevinG

My 96 T5 is also not fitted with one.
Old Oct 8th, 2002, 20:57   #9
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Disconnection fairly is easy, but you do need to fit a dummy load to the circuit or the SRS light will be on.
I will provide details if you need to do this.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2002, 11:32   #10
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Thanks all yr posts. I know that in some companies cars, the dashboard of the sports versions have more electric kit hidden away behind them. This may be why the T5's didn't have them as std.

Since we'll probably be getting a 2.0 20v or 2.5 ie non sports version, I'll need to check on this. I guess eyeballing a few 2nd hand ones and looking on a dealers forecort could be a way to go.

Thanks again