Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 replacement headlights

Views : 2195

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2022, 13:03   #1
1981George

Default XC70 replacement headlights

Hello,
I hope someone can help. I've got a 2004 LHD Volvo XC70 D5 from when I lived in France. I'm trying to re-register this with a UK registration now I've moved back to the UK. It needs to pass an MOT, it failed today due to the headlight pattern. This is a bit odd to me as before I bought the car it was a UK registered LHD car and passed 10 MOTs before I bought it and I've not changed the headlights.
Apparently some Volvos the headlights can be adjusted to drive on the other side of the road but not mine it appears.
So the simplest way forward seems to be getting some replacement RHD headlight assemblies. Given the age of the car I'd be looking for second hand original Volvo units.
Does anyone know the part codes?
Also are the headlights the same for the V70 as the XC70? To me they look identical but I'm not sure. There are a lot more V70s kicking around so I might have a better chance getting the lights.

It's a bumper off job to replace the lights. The garage have quoted me £140 for the labour, but it's something I might tackle myself.

Many thanks
George
1981George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 13:11   #2
Lancee
Premier Member

Ask your Volvo main dealer for a printed estimate to supply and fit the RHD headlamps.

The estimate should show the correct part numbers for exactly the lights you require. The pricing may also further inspire you considerably into attempting the job yourself !

Bumper removal is not super difficult, certainly DIY for anyone reasonably able.

I doubt software is involved, but someone else on here will know for sure.

Good luck.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 13:17   #3
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Buy blanking stickers for the lights to pass the MOT?
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 13:48   #4
1981George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
Ask your Volvo main dealer for a printed estimate to supply and fit the RHD headlamps.

The estimate should show the correct part numbers for exactly the lights you require. The pricing may also further inspire you considerably into attempting the job yourself !

Bumper removal is not super difficult, certainly DIY for anyone reasonably able.

I doubt software is involved, but someone else on here will know for sure.

Good luck.
I'll speak to the main dealer to get a quote and get the part numbers that way.

I couldn't find a youtube video on a XC70 but found one for a similar vintage V70 and it looked to be straightforward. The trickiest bit seemed to be removing the rubbing strips from the bodycoloured bumper to access two bolts to get the bumper off. But with the enormous plastic bumpers my car comes with the two bolts are behind caps that look fairly simple to remove using a trim tool.

But for £140 labour I'd have to weigh up how much my time and skinned knuckles are worth to me. :-)
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 13:53   #5
1981George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Buy blanking stickers for the lights to pass the MOT?
My garage didn't suggest that. If anyone knows for sure can you let me know?

I can get hold of some stickers very easily and put them on and see if the garage will allow it through.
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 14:38   #6
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981George View Post

I can get hold of some stickers very easily and put them on and see if the garage will allow it through.
I think there's a tame MOT Tester on here - worth a search and ask direct
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 14:48   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

you will not get the kick up of light on the left side to light up the pavement etc if you blank the beam , you need as much light as possible from these lamps.
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 15:10   #8
old onions

Quote:
Hello,
Given the age of the car I'd be looking for second hand original Volvo units.

It's a bumper off job to replace the lights. The garage have quoted me £140 for the labour, but it's something I might tackle myself.

Many thanks
George
EBay seems to think that the V70 and XC70 lights are the same part (but that is not really a definitive answer) for the post facelift cars . Not sure if the XC70 was facelifted at the same time. I would check this, as the wiring behind the lights is different and trying to work with the wrong item might entail quite of lot of electrical wiring and connectors to be modified.

Second hand units seem to vary between £60 and £250 , possibly dependent upon condition

2006 V70 SE 2.4 Manual
old onions is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old onions For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 15:11   #9
1981George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you will not get the kick up of light on the left side to light up the pavement etc if you blank the beam , you need as much light as possible from these lamps.
My main concern is passing the MOT for now. I think I've found some headlights from a 2000 V70. They look right from the photos but I can't be sure. I'll have a poke around tonight on mine to see if I can find a part code, these will be for LHD lights but it might be helpful to know.
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 15:21   #10
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

£140 labour is completely unnecessary, it's a very easy job

getting the beams level is just a case of pointing it at a wall and tweaking the adjusters until they're the same height

the most awkward bit is getting the bumper back on afterwards which is really a 2 person job just so you can get both sides lined up right at the same time

If you go 2nd hand, before you fit them I'd go all around the seams with silcone sealant to stop moisture getting in and misting up on the inside

VIDA should tell you part numbers or you could try having a look on scandix which has part numbers as well, I've worked things out that way before

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Oct 5th, 2022 at 15:23.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post: