Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

£601.00

Views : 3461

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 12:25   #11
Grimble
Grimble

Agreed. Changing pads and discs is one of the few jobs the average driver can still do fairly easily, although given the prices charged, you would think its a biggie.
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 13:32   #12
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Have you ever come across RT Mechanics (several threads on them here).

I hadn't read any of the threads before I took my v70 there several years ago and guess what - trailing link bushes needed doing at around £600!!

If only I had known then what I know now.
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 23:10   #13
tompip

Default ne dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Was it the well-known xx NE dealers, bless them ?
Hi, yes it was
Old Feb 24th, 2017, 22:09   #14
Thrustyjust

My last Volvo service picked up the trailing arm bushes. Just had a quote from a volvo indie in Basingstoke of auto gearbox oil change, haldex rear oil and filter change and trailing arm rear bushes for just over £800. I think the bushes was just under £500 out of that. I guess the labour is for removal and stripping out etc.
Thrustyjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 16:15   #15
Burundi

Similar to my quote of £637 from my local Volvo dealer for replacing both rear trailing arms bushes on my 50k miles MY2011 XC60.

However the bushes on mine have fully detached and the trailing arm is rubbing against the chassis causing an awful squeaking when the roads are dry. I've been advised this is an MOT failure and that the car was like that when I bought it so the dealer (not a Volvo dealer but a national new and used chain) has to sort it at their expense as it was un-roadworthy when sold, let alone still being in the warranty period.

It's going in next week for them to re-assess it and get Head Office approval for the work to be done. They've had two goes at assessing it already, the first time they advised it was the luggage cover making the noise, the second time they advised they were going to lubricate it, I wasn't happy with those attempts to fob me off so I got an independent report done which was very damning.

I have a crack team of solicitors on standby should I not like Head Office's answer.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 16:58   #16
Voltan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burundi View Post
Similar to my quote of £637 from my local Volvo dealer for replacing both rear trailing arms bushes on my 50k miles MY2011 XC60.

However the bushes on mine have fully detached and the trailing arm is rubbing against the chassis causing an awful squeaking when the roads are dry. I've been advised this is an MOT failure and that the car was like that when I bought it so the dealer (not a Volvo dealer but a national new and used chain) has to sort it at their expense as it was un-roadworthy when sold, let alone still being in the warranty period.

It's going in next week for them to re-assess it and get Head Office approval for the work to be done. They've had two goes at assessing it already, the first time they advised it was the luggage cover making the noise, the second time they advised they were going to lubricate it, I wasn't happy with those attempts to fob me off so I got an independent report done which was very damning.

I have a crack team of solicitors on standby should I not like Head Office's answer.
I read this with interest as I have had squeak/creak issues recently. I stripped out everything I could including the cover, from the luggage space but the creak persisted. I am convinced it is a suspension issue but the garage identified it as tailgate and lubricated everything with lithium grease. The creak was back by the time I had driven home. The garage have mentioned trailing bushes in the past so hopefully they can resolve this when the car goes in again.

Is the creak you have intermittent? Mine seems to appear after after about 20 mins driving but is then intermittent.

Last edited by Voltan; Mar 7th, 2017 at 17:08.
Voltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 15:34   #17
Burundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltan View Post
I read this with interest as I have had squeak/creak issues recently. I stripped out everything I could including the cover, from the luggage space but the creak persisted. I am convinced it is a suspension issue but the garage identified it as tailgate and lubricated everything with lithium grease. The creak was back by the time I had driven home. The garage have mentioned trailing bushes in the past so hopefully they can resolve this when the car goes in again.

Is the creak you have intermittent? Mine seems to appear after after about 20 mins driving but is then intermittent.
Yes that's similar to mine, it can come and go, it doesn't usually happen on a wet road as the spray from the road provides lubrication. On a dry road at a constant speed it will do it, if I accelerate it usually lessens off or disappears completely.

To diagnose it you need ideally need to get it up on a ramp, remove the plastic covers protecting that area and check the gap between the bushes and the chassis, on mine there is a bracket holding the brake hose, it is actually this bracket that is scraping against the bodywork, there is a clear mark on the chassis where the bracket is rubbing.

From inside the car if you are lying on the back seat it will sound like the squeak is coming from the just under the center of the rear passenger door, probably just on one side.

This picture shows the spot where the bracket attached to the trailing arm is running against the chassis due to the failed bush allowing the trailing to move outwards.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...WtBcS1ZdjB6b1E
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 16:36   #18
Voltan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burundi View Post
Yes that's similar to mine, it can come and go, it doesn't usually happen on a wet road as the spray from the road provides lubrication. On a dry road at a constant speed it will do it, if I accelerate it usually lessens off or disappears completely.

To diagnose it you need ideally need to get it up on a ramp, remove the plastic covers protecting that area and check the gap between the bushes and the chassis, on mine there is a bracket holding the brake hose, it is actually this bracket that is scraping against the bodywork, there is a clear mark on the chassis where the bracket is rubbing.

From inside the car if you are lying on the back seat it will sound like the squeak is coming from the just under the center of the rear passenger door, probably just on one side.

This picture shows the spot where the bracket attached to the trailing arm is running against the chassis due to the failed bush allowing the trailing to move outwards.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...WtBcS1ZdjB6b1E
Thanks for the info. The garage are going to replace the rear shock absorber after having investigated other parts of the rear suspension unit. Hopefully, I'll have a quiet car come Monday. If that doesn't solve it then your diagnosis may be pertinent though I would have expected the garage to have inspected that a spect.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 19:02   #19
Voltan

I got my car back today and it seems the creak has gone at last. Turned out not to be the shock absorber after all. Neither was it any panels, windows nor tail gate as I had previously speculated after having read numerous posts about lithium grease. The problem that I had was completely mirrored by that described by Burundi, both in symptoms and solution and the fact it is a MY11 XC60. My garage thankfully tracked down the fault to the worn trailing arm bush and have replaced it and the noise has gone! Bliss! (fingers crossed).

I'm glad I have the extensive components warranty as I think I'm quids-in now after a couple of repairs.

Hopefully others with similar problems will find this thread useful, especially Burundi's description, and not spend ages and pounds, beating about the bush 😀 but get the problem resolved more quickly.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 19:26   #20
Thrustyjust

Astounds me that Volvo quality is obviously not as cracked up to be with trailing arm bushes making the dealers a good little number than being designed and fit for purpose from the off. These are wearing far too early to be designed correct. Speak to Volvo and they will ignore , as usual.
Thrustyjust is offline   Reply With Quote