Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheel and tyre size

Views : 575

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2022, 21:39   #1
Morton

Default Wheel and tyre size

Hi all

I've got an '08 V70 D5 SE Sport and, generally, I'm very happy with it, it does everything I need, it's comfortable, fast enough and I like not having a new car. My only niggle currently is more with the roads near where I live (rural Devon) and tomorrow I've got to organise a second alloy to be repaired from pothole damage in about 8 weeks. The tyre size is 245/40 R18 Y93 and I'm wondering if it would be worth (or possible) to get smaller wheels and a higher profile tyres and whether this would protect the wheels more from potholes or would it compromise the ride of the car and other things? I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on this.
All the best
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 00:49   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton View Post
Hi all

I've got an '08 V70 D5 SE Sport and, generally, I'm very happy with it, it does everything I need, it's comfortable, fast enough and I like not having a new car. My only niggle currently is more with the roads near where I live (rural Devon) and tomorrow I've got to organise a second alloy to be repaired from pothole damage in about 8 weeks. The tyre size is 245/40 R18 Y93 and I'm wondering if it would be worth (or possible) to get smaller wheels and a higher profile tyres and whether this would protect the wheels more from potholes or would it compromise the ride of the car and other things? I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on this.
All the best
If you have a look on www.wheel-size.com it usually list the common wheel sizes fitted to a specific platform. I think some V70s had 16” wheels - but if you find some make sure they will fit over the brakes before you buy.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 00:51   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Brazenly stolen from a neighbouring thread - lists wheel fitted to a V70 model…..

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...#section_wheel
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old May 13th, 2022, 10:44   #4
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

I was interested to see that our V70 (2008 model SE Lux) is on 225/50/17. This is the same size as our Skoda Yeti. The ride couldn't be more different, and I've seen several posts on the Yeti forum where owners have found the ride too hard and we're considering looking to change to 16" wheels and higher profile tyres. We certainly find the ride very comfortable in the V70. I know there's a difference in wheelbase (about 8½") and there will other suspension differences too I guess.

Last edited by Pidgeonpost; May 13th, 2022 at 11:16.
Pidgeonpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 11:56   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgeonpost View Post
I was interested to see that our V70 (2008 model SE Lux) is on 225/50/17. This is the same size as our Skoda Yeti. The ride couldn't be more different, and I've seen several posts on the Yeti forum where owners have found the ride too hard and we're considering looking to change to 16" wheels and higher profile tyres. We certainly find the ride very comfortable in the V70. I know there's a difference in wheelbase (about 8½") and there will other suspension differences too I guess.
I had VW company cars for 13 years (Golf & Passat) and always found them typically hard riding - also BMW's when I've driven them. Another reason why I love my Volvo...
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old May 13th, 2022, 15:51   #6
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I had VW company cars for 13 years (Golf & Passat) and always found them typically hard riding - also BMW's when I've driven them. Another reason why I love my Volvo...
I agree, particularly the sportier models. I read quite a lot of adverse comments about the seats on some BMW models being uncomfortable too. In terms of comfort the V70 seats are a reminder of those in the Saab 900 and 9000. They were recognised as being just about as good as they get.
Pidgeonpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 17:11   #7
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Before I test drove my XC70, I test drove a similar Mercedes model and couldn't wait to get out of it as the seats were really hard and uncomfortable. When I sat in the Volvo I knew that if it drove well I'd buy it for the seats alone! Whatever other problems IU may have with this car, the seats are faultless for me.
Old May 14th, 2022, 00:04   #8
ferg55

Your tyres should be 97 load rating, not 93. 97 are termed "extra load", as they have reinforced sidewalls due to the weight they need to support. With 93's there is a chance your tyres are not robust enough to prevent damage when crashing that weight over potholes, especially if your pressures are low. I have had the same wheels as you on my S80 for the past 8 years and 130k miles and haven't suffered damage despite terrible roads on my daily commute. Hope this helps.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote