Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help with external CD drive

Views : 703

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2022, 14:40   #1
Vicki1981

Default Help with external CD drive

My uncle has just purchased a XC60 2018, he is wanting to play cd's in his car but there is no cd player and wants to stick with his cd's rather than put them on a usb stick. I'm wanting to buy him something so he can do this and I have been advised to purchase an external cd drive. I don't want to spend a fortune and after looking I've read that some don't work. Has anybody purchased one of these for their volvo and can advise which easily plug in by usb and work or advise something else?
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Vicki1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2022, 16:07   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki1981 View Post
My uncle has just purchased a XC60 2018, he is wanting to play cd's in his car but there is no cd player and wants to stick with his cd's rather than put them on a usb stick. I'm wanting to buy him something so he can do this and I have been advised to purchase an external cd drive. I don't want to spend a fortune and after looking I've read that some don't work. Has anybody purchased one of these for their volvo and can advise which easily plug in by usb and work or advise something else?
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
The time has come ,you need to pursued him to use a usb stick now , even if you have to make it up for him . no other cd player can be controlled by the car .
Old May 8th, 2022, 21:25   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The time has come ,you need to pursued him to use a usb stick now , even if you have to make it up for him . no other cd player can be controlled by the car .
I was just about to say a similar thing. It’s a real shame, as my 2012 does indeed have a CD player and I know when I sell it that will be the end. That said, I am also aware that I don’t ever really use it. I would imagine that a subscription to something like Amazon prime music (I have) will allow him to listen to all music required?

I myself find the £7 subscription more than pays for itself as it’s similar to buying 1 cd every 6 weeks.

I think the main challenge here is that as Clan says you can’t control the CD player through the cars which then mandates a Cigar powered CD player into an AUX cable or a Bluetooth device (either of which can be done).

But then it will skip, get knocked and be inconvenient.

Sadly a subscription service will no doubt offer the best use of time and money.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2022, 22:17   #4
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Easy way

Ive had one of these installed for years, granted you have to rip your beloved CDs to MP3 but that is fairly quick and fast with something like media player, then put on an SD card or memory stick and off u go., all radio and steering controls work just like normal, you just choose ext 10 CD changer as the source..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yatour_index.jpg (6.4 KB, 3 views)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2022, 11:46   #5
pinballdave

Buy a few cheap memory sticks (the kind that are given away as promotional gifts), and rip the CDs and put one on each stick, along with a playlist file (if supported or required by the car stereo) to play them in order. Then he can swap sticks as he would CDs, and the track skip controls should operate in a similar way to a CD player.

You could then put 6 or 10 CDs on one stick and call it a 'CD Changer' if the car supports playlist navigation controls that operate in a similar way to CD changer controls.

Once he's got used to each of these concepts, he should grasp enough of the music playback controls on his new car to be able to cope with putting his entire music collection on one USB stick, and will wonder why he didn't do it sooner!
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballdave For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2022, 08:40   #6
Rocinante
Master Member

There appears to be a factory fit CD option, but it may not be cheap, and may no longer be available or dealer fit, but if you wanted to stick with a CD player, it is probably worth a call to the dealer. See link below.

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...ayer/cd-player
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote