Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 B4P economy

Views : 840

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2022, 19:37   #1
simonb82

Default V60 B4P economy

Hi - I did post a thread about the economy of the V60 T6 recharge. But with the extra host of buying the hybrid version and with the increasing cost to charge I do wonder if I should just save the upfront purchase cost and get a V60 B4P

What are peoples thoughts on performance? It obviously won’t be as quick as the T6 recharge but is performance ok?

And economy? My commute is 80 miles. 50% motorway then a lot of heavy traffic. Would I get early 40s to the gallon or would it be more like 30s?
simonb82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 21:13   #2
Haldex
Premier Member

XC40 with the same engine here - a heavy, AWD car - if anything - the V60 economy should be better - I average 8.5 l/100km (33-ish mpg UK) of mostly highway driving. Expect the city driving to yield more though - as this is where mild hybrid is at its best - so likely 38-40mpg. As for performance - the car is super peppy, plenty of punch from 0 and surprisingly torquey midrange - feels actually sporty compared to my D5 XC60. Hope this helps.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 21:13   #3
Sergeant Grumpy

I have a slightly heavier 2022 V90 B4P…..only a couple of thousand miles on the clock so mpg may improve…..
Round town, I am lucky to get into the high 20’s….. but…… on a motorway run driving between 65 & 70 mph, I have hit 48 mpg….. admittedly I am a fuel snob and only ever use premium super unleaded.
Car has plenty of go when needed, and is super smooth to drive!!!
I was initially looking at buying a V60 T6 which I could have had for the same price as my V90, and part of me wishes that I did due to the woeful round town MPG……but the V90 will do me for now!!!
I would expect if you are doing a 50/50 mix you would be hitting the mid 30’s average.

Last edited by Sergeant Grumpy; May 13th, 2022 at 21:22.
Sergeant Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2022, 06:26   #4
peter312

I had a 2020 V60 T4 which I think is the similar bar the hybrid bits. My commute is over 25 miles each way, half on motorway. i would get 41 to 43 mpg on ordinary unleaded (Shell). I initially ran it on V Power but it appeared to make no difference to performance or economy in that car.

I now have a XC60 B5 (petrol) and get 39 to 40 mpg on the same run using unleaded. The engine is still running in and it has the aerodynamics of a house brick so quite pleased with that.

Local runs in either reduce mpg down to the low 30s.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards

Peter
peter312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2022, 07:18   #5
simonb82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant Grumpy View Post
I have a slightly heavier 2022 V90 B4P…..only a couple of thousand miles on the clock so mpg may improve…..
Round town, I am lucky to get into the high 20’s….. but…… on a motorway run driving between 65 & 70 mph, I have hit 48 mpg….. admittedly I am a fuel snob and only ever use premium super unleaded.
Car has plenty of go when needed, and is super smooth to drive!!!
I was initially looking at buying a V60 T6 which I could have had for the same price as my V90, and part of me wishes that I did due to the woeful round town MPG……but the V90 will do me for now!!!
I would expect if you are doing a 50/50 mix you would be hitting the mid 30’s average.
This is my concern that as it’s a fairly big car when I’m stuck in traffic on my commute the economy will dip into the 20s which will take it a lot more expensive than my current car

The T6 would solve that but is so much more to buy in the first place
simonb82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2022, 10:52   #6
Sergeant Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb82 View Post
This is my concern that as it’s a fairly big car when I’m stuck in traffic on my commute the economy will dip into the 20s which will take it a lot more expensive than my current car

The T6 would solve that but is so much more to buy in the first place
Go with what your gut tells you……I think they have extended the battery range on the newer plug in hybrids….which probably means a little more weight to pull around once the battery is depleted…which would no doubt impact on petrol economy.
Plug in’s only really make sense if you are either driving very short commutes and running on electric only…plugging in at home every other day or so…..or if you are driving in hybrid mode with a very gentle right foot.
If you start to have fun in hybrid mode, I would expect the battery to deplete rather quickly.

As I said in my first reply, I wish I had gone with the V60 plug in as my work commute is only a mile or so…., but I can put up with the B4P for a few years….I just turn off the MPG display at the bottom of the dash 🤣.
In four years or so, I will probably go full electric as the prices should have stabilised & come down a bit by then.

Whatever you chose….enjoy!!

Tags
v60