Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

122s mpg

Views : 4285

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2022, 05:56   #21
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble View Post
Nothing surer it's the short runs that is the killer. Be interested to know what you get on your 120 mile run. Please let us know. My 42 mpg certainly surprised me as I usually expect about 32/33 and that is what I got with my original Amazon.
Yes, of course. I’ll take some careful measurements that day and report back - I’d be most pleased with 33MPG.

The way I use GAM makes no sense of course, it would be much better to have an EV for local journeys - but that (as all correspondents to this section of the forum know) is not the point :-),

Alan
Old May 3rd, 2022, 08:58   #22
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Yes, of course. I’ll take some careful measurements that day and report back - I’d be most pleased with 33MPG.

The way I use GAM makes no sense of course, it would be much better to have an EV for local journeys - but that (as all correspondents to this section of the forum know) is not the point :-),

Alan
A follow up if I may...

I generally only fill up once per month so it takes a while to gather data. I did so yesterday though and GAM's consumption has shown an improvement to 23MPG (151 miles on 6.7 gallons) in April. This could be down to:
a. Pumping the tyres up to 30/32PSI rather than 20/23PSI as recommended by the owner's handbook (which would have been for cross ply tyres).

b. My general fettling improving the motor car.

c. Warmer weather requiring less choke on start up.

d. Warmer weather resulting in me using a pushbike for short trips (it is about 2 miles each way into town for example).
I still do predominantly shorter journeys in GAM (generally less than 10 miles/20 minutes when it isn't worth starting a diesel or getting the Porsche out of the garage), so I'd be surprised if it will better 25MPG in normal use. It would be nice to achieve 30MPG on my planned longer trip to Calverton in June.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; May 3rd, 2022 at 09:25.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 09:32   #23
Othen
Premier Member

Default 31mpg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
A follow up if I may...

I generally only fill up once per month so it takes a while to gather data. I did so yesterday though and GAM's consumption has shown an improvement to 23MPG (151 miles on 6.7 gallons) in April. This could be down to:
a. Pumping the tyres up to 30/32PSI rather than 20/23PSI as recommended by the owner's handbook (which would have been for cross ply tyres).

b. My general fettling improving the motor car.

c. Warmer weather requiring less choke on start up.

d. Warmer weather resulting in me using a pushbike for short trips (it is about 2 miles each way into town for example).
I still do predominantly shorter journeys in GAM (generally less than 10 miles/20 minutes when it isn't worth starting a diesel or getting the Porsche out of the garage), so I'd be surprised if it will better 25MPG in normal use. It would be nice to achieve 30MPG on my planned longer trip to Calverton in June.

Reporting back after yesterday's trip to Calverton (my first substantial journey in GAM):

I topped up before I left and re-set the odometer, and have filled up again this morn. The motor car used 18l (4 gallons) of gas and covered 124 miles. Now that the lower profile (175/60) tyres make the speedometer read spot on there is no need for a correction, so I make that 31MPG.

Well, I'm delighted with that from my 59 year old motor car. Around town it seems to return 23/24MPG but on the longer run, with a good stretch of dual carriageway where I could use the overdrive, achieving 31MPG is excellent.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jun 13th, 2022 at 09:44. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 11:17   #24
packers1712

Wow Alan thats impressive, we recently went to wales in Mr Roberts and only managed 23 mpg getting there and 24 mpg whilst touring around but most of the time he was three-up with a roof rack on and a full boot so I'm not too concerned!
packers1712 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to packers1712 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 11:36   #25
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

Whilst not an Amazon, my P1800 has a B20 engine ,with twin SU carbs and overdrive.
I am just back from a 2,000 mile trip to Scandinavia. I keep my Pirelli Cinturato CA67 tyres at 30PSI.
My fuel consumption average for the trip was 26.1 MPG.
Groundes-Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Groundes-Peace For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 11:53   #26
packers1712

Here is how he looked when achieving 24 mpg!

Doug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4352.JPG (105.4 KB, 20 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to packers1712 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 12:52   #27
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers1712 View Post

Doug.
Very impressive Doug. We must meet up at the Olney chippy again sometime during the summer. It would be interesting to compare Mr Roberts and Great Aunt Maud :-).

Alan
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 14:49   #28
Splinelube

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers1712 View Post

Doug.
Best MPG yet for a parked car.
Splinelube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 14:51   #29
Splinelube

My 66 can match that MPG when parked as well OLO
Splinelube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 16:07   #30
packers1712

Excellent, sounds like mine must be ball park on the tune front then, also my car was supplied with a dyno sheet showing 142BHP (from back in 2016 so may not quite be that still, trying to get it back on the rollers for confirmation)!

Doug.
The Following User Says Thank You to packers1712 For This Useful Post: